News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Re: Is Old White the best regular tour venue?
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2015, 08:21:05 PM »
Wow. What a stellar cast for the four-man playoff. Not.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Carl Rogers

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 09:26:16 PM »
Wow. What a stellar cast for the four-man playoff. Not.
I like it when relative unknowns come to the fore. 

Erik Compton is a compelling human being. 

From time to time I suffer from TW, PM & Bubba fatigue.

Old White held up well scoring wise.  The golfers who went low one day could not do it the next.  -13 under as the play off score was much higher than I anticipated.  TW did not embarrass himself.

I wish Old White cost $125 less, otherwise I would go play it.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 10:17:14 PM »
Back to the OP:  After Riviera, Pebble and Harbour Town?  Maybe it's in the discussion then.

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2015, 08:34:14 AM »
I'll vote for Colonial. You can't just hammer away with the driver on every hole, it allows for low scores if you are in control of the ball, but it's hardly a pushover. 
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2015, 04:22:09 PM »
Muirfield Village, Spyglass.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2015, 04:35:21 PM »
Back to the OP:  After Riviera, Pebble and Harbour Town?  Maybe it's in the discussion then.

While I have never played there, can someone explain the brilliance of Harbour Town to me?  It just looks so narrow and somewhat repetitive on TV that it doesn't look much fun.

Lester George

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2015, 04:55:03 PM »
Thanks Jamey for posting the links to the articles.  The Old White is a course that I could play every day.  It is fun, challenging, intriguing and beautiful.  Present situation aside, it is one of my favorite jobs of my career. 

Lester

Nigel Islam

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2015, 05:57:21 PM »

While I have never played there, can someone explain the brilliance of Harbour Town to me?  It just looks so narrow and somewhat repetitive on TV that it doesn't look much fun.

I would actually say it has quite a lot of variety. It can get narrow, but its a lot different than much of the golf in the area. I think the closing stretch of 13-18 has such a great flow to it. I thought it was quite a lot of fun.

Chris Mavros

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2015, 08:43:21 PM »
Riviera, Kapalua then Muirfield for me. 

I've never played Old White and the coverage doesn't really show off the course all that well.  Maybe it was bad timing, but all I really saw was every shot on 18 and thousands of 3 foot putts.  I'm getting there at some point so I'll reserve the right to amend though.  But Riviera is my favorite regular tour stop to watch.  I really enjoy Ridgewood when it hosts the Barclays as well. 

Howard Riefs

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 05:38:39 PM »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mark Greer

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2016, 09:53:47 PM »
Old White looks a bit under water at the moment...

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/watson-captures-video-greenbrier-floods/

What a shame!  That event is so important to WV.  I just discovered this thread.  I grew up not far from The Greenbrier in Richwood which has been equally devastated by this flood. I've played the Old White Course many times-before and after the George restoration- and it is one of my favorites.   The Greenbrier Course was the first real golf course I ever played.  I first played it in 1975 (for $40 which was outrageous at the time).  At that time, I didn't know Seth Raynor from Seth McFarlane but I knew I was playing something special.  Nicklaus came in before the 1979 Ryder Cup and redesigned the course.  The routing was basically the same except he reversed holes 10, 11, and 12.  He completely rebuilt the greens which I know now is a crying shame.  I think the resort has since re-done the greens again since the guests found them to be so brutal, many didn't want to play it.  I played in the State Am there in the early 80s where all four rounds were played on the Greenbrier Course and the winning score was over 300.  It was borderline unfair.  It is much more playable now and is a beautiful course with some very interesting holes.  2,3,4, 5 and 6 are a wonderful stretch as is 9,10,11, and 12.  I haven't seen the Meadows Course since Cupp redesigned it but it wasn't much more than a resort course before originally called lakeside and designed by Dick Wilson.  Haven't seen the Fazio course yet.  It will be interesting to see what the honorary starters come up with on the new course on the drawing board.  Personally, I wish Justice would've hired  Doak or Coore/Crenshaw to build his new course but that is now water over the dam.  Bad pun.  But The Greenbrier is truly a one of a kind resort.  And there is certainly some fun golf there.  I just hope that they can find a way to host the event this year.  They have 2 other courses that are adjacent to the Old White.  They may have to play a hodge podge of holes among the 3 courses on site that are least affected by this flood. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 10:03:35 PM by Mark Greer »

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2016, 01:55:23 PM »
Today is supposedly the last day to sign up for free tickets for the week...if it happens.

http://www.greenbrierclassic.com/Tickets/Weekly-Badges

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2016, 03:34:24 PM »
Just announced that the tournament has been, not surprisingly, cancelled.  The pictures are astounding.  Thoughts and prayers with all affected.

Jamey

Howard Riefs

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2016, 03:37:43 PM »
Just announced that the tournament has been, not surprisingly, cancelled.  The pictures are astounding.  Thoughts and prayers with all affected.

Jamey

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2016/06/25/pga-tour-statement-greenbrier.html?cid=TWPGATOUR
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back