News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Rye Grasses
« on: February 14, 2017, 06:44:14 PM »
 8)

With the advent of grey leaf et al a few decades ago rye grass fell out of favor to a great degree.  For those  familiar with the new strains that have been developed in the ensuing years that bolstered the breed , can rye become a grass  of choice again ?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 07:37:10 AM by archie_struthers »

Kyle Harris

Re: Rye Grasses
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 07:50:35 PM »
Endophyte enhancements make Gray Leaf Spot a non-issue.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

archie_struthers

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 05:45:34 AM »
 8)

Why no love for turf talk , lol.  8)

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 07:43:39 AM »
Archie

why rye? whats wrong with bentgrass?

Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Jimmy Cavezza

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 06:17:43 PM »
I'm grassing a new range tee this spring and really considering using rye.  I like the look of a bentgrass tee better, but they always get destroyed and eventually rye becomes part of the divot mix.  I think the end result of a rye tee is more sustainable and better looking then a Rye/Bent mix. 

Greg Chambers

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 09:53:46 PM »
Why rye?  Blue is a superior turfgrass.  The only advantage rye has is quick germination...otherwise, bluegrass is far superior in every way.  JMHO
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

archie_struthers

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 10:56:44 PM »
See above. 😇😇😇

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 04:21:24 AM »
The leading seed houses are developing rye grasses with much finer leaves for the golf market than would be considered standard. We have elected to use a Rye/Fescue blend for fairways, green surrounds and semi-roughs on my new UK project, for its wear tolerance, suitability to a heavier soil and presentational advantages. The initial seed strike was almost entirely rye, which was a bit alarming, but this acted as a cover crop for the slower growing fescue, which has come through now.

Personally, I still find the blend to be a bit more 'sticky' than I would like for the promotion of firm, fast conditions, especially on the tightly mown green surrounds, but when one is dealing with a heavy clay soil one has to adapt. The lies the golfer will get shall be clean and bristly. Links like they are not, but again I stress, for clay soils the rye grasses have much to commend them.
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

archie_struthers

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 09:00:02 AM »
 ;D :D

Now we are getting there .  The quick germination of eye grass certainly is appealing in growing cover or as Robin tells us .  For many of us the practice range becomes difficult to maintain , so fast growing divots is a real bonus .

Wondering if the newer rye strains will tolerate the heat better but perhaps that's just wishful thinking ?

Often thought zoysia would be a nice alternative for practice fields , given its inherent toughness . Much prefer it to hitting off mats.  Still doing some research as to any downsides other than keeping it away from the rest of the course. 

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 10:51:18 AM »
;D :D

Now we are getting there .  The quick germination of eye grass certainly is appealing in growing cover or as Robin tells us .  For many of us the practice range becomes difficult to maintain , so fast growing divots is a real bonus .

Wondering if the newer rye strains will tolerate the heat better but perhaps that's just wishful thinking ?

Often thought zoysia would be a nice alternative for practice fields , given its inherent toughness . Much prefer it to hitting off mats.  Still doing some research as to any downsides other than keeping it away from the rest of the course.

Last year, I hit balls at a course very early in the season that had its tees set up on the range itself rather than the tee box.  I liked that approach because it allowed us to hit off of grass but only damaged turf that would not be used the rest of the year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back