News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will MacEwen

Re: Best Golf & Ski Location
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 09:58:52 AM »
Whistler has two great mountains and two good courses that are all about 5 minutes away if you are staying in the Village. The Whistler Golf Club and Nicklaus North aren't GCA masterpieces, but are enjoyable plays.

One used to be able to ski the glacier in summer. Not sure if that is still the case.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 09:39:03 PM »
Missoula, Montana...local ski area is Snowbowl....2600 vertical feet, old school mountain. 90 minutes away you'll find three family oriented ski areas...Lost Trail, Discovery, and Lookout Pass...all very much "Montana" non glitzy.  Three hours to the north is Whitefish Mt Resort...a destination resort....4 hours to the east is Big Sky Resort if you are into over rated resorts.

Golf in Missoula....The Missoula Country Club...a nice old course.  The Ranch Club...a faux links course but lots of fun.  Canyon River...A Curley/Schmidt design....not really walkable but a good course.  Also have a muni that is the site of the Montana Open.  Rock Creek Cattle Co. is about an hour away. Three or four hours to the north is the Wilderness Club and Iron Horse....35 minutes south of Missoula is The Stock Farm....and the Hamilton Country Club (often they play there all winter).....

Median new home price is $245K...not bad. Missoula is a fairly progressive, university town of about 90,000 (second largest city in Montana...3 1/2 hours from Spokane....6 1/2 hours from Seattle. 
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Josh Tarble

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2015, 02:17:20 PM »
Queenstown, New Zealand would be amazing.  You have Jack's Point, Arrowtown and the Hills for golf and the Untouchables for skiing.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2015, 07:52:38 PM »
Missoula, Montana...local ski area is Snowbowl....2600 vertical feet, old school mountain. 90 minutes away you'll find three family oriented ski areas...Lost Trail, Discovery, and Lookout Pass...all very much "Montana" non glitzy.  Three hours to the north is Whitefish Mt Resort...a destination resort....4 hours to the east is Big Sky Resort if you are into over rated resorts.

Golf in Missoula....The Missoula Country Club...a nice old course.  The Ranch Club...a faux links course but lots of fun.  Canyon River...A Curley/Schmidt design....not really walkable but a good course.  Also have a muni that is the site of the Montana Open.  Rock Creek Cattle Co. is about an hour away. Three or four hours to the north is the Wilderness Club and Iron Horse....35 minutes south of Missoula is The Stock Farm....and the Hamilton Country Club (often they play there all winter).....

Median new home price is $245K...not bad. Missoula is a fairly progressive, university town of about 90,000 (second largest city in Montana...3 1/2 hours from Spokane....6 1/2 hours from Seattle.

Sorry but this doesn't convince me to move it to #1

Carl Nichols

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2015, 07:54:23 PM »
Queenstown, New Zealand would be amazing.  You have Jack's Point, Arrowtown and the Hills for golf and the Untouchables for skiing.

Sounds great except for the 20+ hour travel time!

Craig Sweet

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2015, 08:05:38 PM »
No problem Carl.  To be honest, my brother was here last week, and he hasn't been to Missoula in 10 years. He could not believe the changes, the growth, the horrible traffic....Sooooo.....no offense, but we probably would be okay with fewer people moving here!   :)
LOCK HIM UP!!!

billb

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2015, 09:42:26 PM »
As a Colorado resident for 30 years and a former ski instructor and avid golfer I find this a very interesting thread.

You want "very convenient access to great golf and great skiing".

I think we all understand "great golf" or we wouldn't be on GCA.

By "great skiing" do you mean the destination resorts? Vail, Aspen, Breckenridge, Steamboat, Park City, Snowbird, Squaw Valley, Heavenly, Whistler, etc.?

Or the smaller, less glitzy, lower profile places like Bridger Bowl (Bozeman, MT), Snowbowl (Missoula, MT), Mt Bachelor (Bend,OR), Loveland / A Basin (Summit County, CO), Winter Park (CO), Taos (NM), etc.?

Several people mentioned skiing and golfing the same day - is this on your wish list for the ideal second home?

Ken Moum

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2015, 10:46:57 PM »
When Pat Brockwell was the super at Black Mesa, he was also a ski instructor....

So I'd guess Santa Fe area is OK. 

Same thing with Sandia Peak and ABQ.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2015, 01:01:06 PM »
I would agree with the Banff/Lake Louise suggestion. The problem is that you can't actually buy a vacation place there since it is on a National Park. But you can buy in Canmore which isn't too far away.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2015, 03:35:51 PM »
Scottish Highlands where you can ski at Cairngorm in the morning and play Boat of Garten in the afternoon. Or Valais in Switzerland with Zermatt in the morning and Leuk in the afternoon.

Jon

Chris Johnston

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2015, 04:59:34 PM »
Easy...Jackson Hole

Very good golf.
Great skiing.
Unbelievable fly fishing (the seven sisters all in proximity).
Two National Parks.
Easy air service.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2016, 12:14:57 PM »
Revisiting this thread - Just got back from St Anton am Arlberg in Austria.  You're not going to ski and golf on the same day, but it's probably one of the few places where the golf course (a six holer) is part of the ski hill during the winter.  It's in the southeast part of the resort in Nasserein (where we stayed).  Based on the slope, it looks like it would be a blast, but not exactly destination golf.  The skiing, on the other hand...  Of course, that assumes that you make it to the slopes the next day after absolutely world class Apres. 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 03:04:33 PM »
Revisiting this thread - Just got back from St Anton am Arlberg in Austria.  You're not going to ski and golf on the same day, but it's probably one of the few places where the golf course (a six holer) is part of the ski hill during the winter.  It's in the southeast part of the resort in Nasserein (where we stayed).  Based on the slope, it looks like it would be a blast, but not exactly destination golf.  The skiing, on the other hand...  Of course, that assumes that you make it to the slopes the next day after absolutely world class Apres.

That's on my list of places to ski someday--heard it's incredible.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2016, 03:06:24 PM »
As a Colorado resident for 30 years and a former ski instructor and avid golfer I find this a very interesting thread.

You want "very convenient access to great golf and great skiing".

I think we all understand "great golf" or we wouldn't be on GCA.

By "great skiing" do you mean the destination resorts? Vail, Aspen, Breckenridge, Steamboat, Park City, Snowbird, Squaw Valley, Heavenly, Whistler, etc.?

Or the smaller, less glitzy, lower profile places like Bridger Bowl (Bozeman, MT), Snowbowl (Missoula, MT), Mt Bachelor (Bend,OR), Loveland / A Basin (Summit County, CO), Winter Park (CO), Taos (NM), etc.?

Several people mentioned skiing and golfing the same day - is this on your wish list for the ideal second home?

Bill--
As someone who grew up skiing in New England, I consider most of those great, or close to great.     

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2016, 07:49:10 PM »

That's on my list of places to ski someday--heard it's incredible.

The Arlberg has great skiing but I'd stay in Lech rather than Saint Anton. Lech is the real world village Vail was based on.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back