News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Grant Saunders

Lining Bunkers With Turf/Sod
« on: March 14, 2016, 04:12:44 AM »
This topic may be a little O/T so I apologise.

I have seen from time to time on here where it has been referenced by architects or other industry types that bunkers can be lined with turf in an effort to prevent subsoil contamination. This is done in place of a more formal liner of cloth or the newer porous type concretes and gravel systems.

I am keen to hear a bit more about the process and get a feel for how effective it is and the impact on drainage. Also, what is a reasonable lifespan before it needs to be readdressed.

Jon Wiggett

Re: Lining Bunkers With Turf/Sod
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 04:35:15 AM »
Grant,

this has been mentioned in several threads in the past. It works very well and is cheap. I have used it with the grass facing up on projects where the bunker was going to be left for a while unfilled and then mow and spray out. Otherwise it is best to lay the sod root side up.

Not sure what you want to know about the process as it is just cut and lay the sod. Drainage is similar to grass hollows with drainage at the bottom but as long as the sand is kept topped up it should not suffer from compaction. Should last between 5 an 20 years depending on situation.

p.s. Forgot to say my experience is for cool season grasses only so no idea about suitability for warm season grass.

Jon

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

Re: Lining Bunkers With Turf/Sod
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 07:22:04 AM »
As Jon mentioned it's been chatted about before in other threads. I did a trial with sod liners a few years ago. Basically the process was the same as Jon. We sodded the floor and ran the sod through the drain line too. We let it knit so there was a good thick thatch before adding the sand. Then the stone was added to the drain lines and the sand added. I decided not to kill off the grass to see what would happen. That was a mistake as some grew through - it wasn't a huge issue as we just sprayed it but it would have been better to kill it first.

The only downfall I found is that it eroded away relatively quickly on the faces; however it is still holding up well on the floors. From my limited experience I would say it is a good cheap alternative provided the bunkers are relatively flat and/or the faces don't see a lot of water. In that situation I think they would last at least 3-5 years if not more.
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

David_Tepper

Re: Lining Bunkers With Turf/Sod New
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »
Here is a past thread:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,55507.msg1288395.html#msg1288395

I think there was another thread on bunker liner options within the past 3-6 months. Here it is!

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,62353.0.html
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 09:30:01 AM by David_Tepper »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back