News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Connor Dougherty

Re: Potential future U.S. Open venues
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2015, 07:37:49 PM »
I'd add Olympic to the "occasionals" to the Bay area once in a while, as well as potentially Riviera to "potential futures" (this is based on nothing more than a friendly rivalry with LACC and the ability to host what would be a great Open in a major city).

Alex,
With the incredible ratings that the USGA gets when they're on the west coast, I'd fully expect Olympic to be an every 10 to 15 year course  , and LACC and Torrey to alternate opens in Southern California. The USGA was very high on how that event was run.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

BHoover

« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2015, 11:56:44 AM »
I meant to post this here instead of the 2022 Open thread, as it seems more appropriate here.

So the U.S. Open is set through 2024 (with Torrey Pines in 2021, TCC in 2022, LACC in 2023, and Pinehurst in 2024).

I'll be curious where they go in 2025. It will have been 8 years since a non-East or West coast Open (Erin Hills in 2017). I'll guess that the USGA goes to a place like Southern Hills, Oakland Hills, Olympia Fields, etc) in 2025. Just a guess.

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Joe Bausch

« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2015, 06:59:38 PM »
Oops, I started a new thread when the info was already covered.  My bad.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Sean Ogle

« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2015, 08:01:28 PM »
A decade ago Pumpkin Ridge was in the discussion as a US Open course. And after really successful women's opens and the 96 amateur, the USGA seemed to love them. Think there's any chance that they'd consider heading back to the Pacific Northwest to do an Open there one day?

It might not be long enough to qualify these days, but when you grow the rough out there, it can be a downright brutal test. And it's certainly a better layout for spectators and facilities than Chambers...

JMEvensky

« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2015, 08:57:54 PM »

Oops, I started a new thread when the info was already covered.  My bad.

Come on Joe--pay attention. Have you been hanging out in Italian restaurant bars again?

Declan Kavanagh

« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2017, 12:38:18 AM »
"Olympia North is great but in my opinion has no incredibly memorable holes. "

How can the above statement be true?   About any course.

In my opinion, this statement is incredibly memorable, for it's complete lack of logic.

Paul- Did not mean to offend.  I have never had the chance to play Olympia with someone who knows it.  I believe I have played 3x as an unaccompanied guest and it really does make a difference when you aren't with someone who can explain the history and nuances to you.  Now that I think of it there really are some great par 3s and a few other par 4s that come to mind.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2017, 10:46:03 AM »
Declan,

Let's correct that issue this summer.  It has a terrific routing that builds to a crescendo with the final five-hole stretch carved on an amazing piece of property that gets the most out of elevation changes and a meandering creek.   IMHO, Olympia has a handful of unforgettable holes, a handful of very good holes and only a few ho-hum holes.  The unforgettables: 3, 9, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18.  The very good holes: 1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 10, 11, 17.  Ho-hum: 5, 6, 13. 

I'm not crazy about 5 because it's crazy narrow, but the bunkering is great and the green is a lot of fun to putt.  6 was redone in a rather boring fashion, I think, and it could be greatly improved.  13 is a short par-3 with a wacky green, but it is the real link in the routing because the course is all about getting to the 14th tee and 13 is a great connector on a piece of land that many architects may have ignored entirely. 

One of the issues that OFCC had with hosting the US Open is that there aren't really any holes where a pro would stand on the tee and think that he could make a double if not careful.  It isn't intimidating to the regular tour players, while still being plenty of a challenge.  Let's not forget that all but four players in the '03 Open were over par for the week.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 10:47:46 AM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Declan Kavanagh

« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2017, 02:01:53 PM »
Thanks Terry.  Would love to get out there with you.

Where do things stand with the relationship between USGA and OFCC these days?

Scott Weersing

« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2017, 07:11:52 PM »
Well we know 2025 is Shinnecock and 2026 is Oakmont.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63137.msg1503787.html#msg1503787

Where for 2027? Trinity Forest could be a good one.

What about Chambers Bay or Olympic Club or back to Erin Hills (depends on how it does this year)

It all depends if they want to go back to the west coast after a three year absence.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2017, 07:34:05 PM »
Thanks Terry.  Would love to get out there with you.

Where do things stand with the relationship between USGA and OFCC these days?

I think it's pretty good, given that OFCChosted a very successful US Amateur last year. Not sure if that gains them any ground for another US Open, but I'm hopin'. 
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Alex Miller

« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2017, 08:25:33 PM »
Well we know 2025 is Shinnecock and 2026 is Oakmont.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63137.msg1503787.html#msg1503787

Where for 2027? Trinity Forest could be a good one.

What about Chambers Bay or Olympic Club or back to Erin Hills (depends on how it does this year)

I think you have the venues reversed for 2025 and 2026.

Since I hold guru status on future U.S. Open sites  ;)  I'd narrow it down to 3 finalists: Olympic, Torrey, and Southern Hills (I won't quit you!)

Bonus - we'll be headed back to Merion in 2030 for the anniversary of Bobby Jones' slam. Book it.

mike_malone

« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2017, 08:34:42 PM »
Stonewall would be a great Philly site. I haven't read any of this thread so I hope I'm not repeating.
It's a top notch course and can handle a big tournament.
It's a modern Philly classic.

I guess the MidAm was a test and I imagine it passed
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:40:43 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Matthew Essig

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2017, 08:49:07 PM »

What about Chambers Bay....

If the Fourball goes well, there is a chance. There are some logistics involving the mounding/spectator viewing that they need to figure out.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back