News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: "Slaying the Tiger" by Shane Ryan
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 10:13:26 PM »
My main problem with the book is that, like most culture these days, it caves to our ever-shrinking attention spans. At its best, culture elevates, instead of reflects, humanity. But more and more, we see films with five-second scenes and read books with "vignettes" (read: chapters that can be leaked as snippets accompanying a photo slideshow). We come away titillated, but learning very little. In short, I might like the book more if, instead of trying to tackle 15 different players in 20-page chapters, it tackled only one. Character development, in film and literature, is a lost art, and I'm dismayed when I see authors like Mr. Ryan furthering, as opposed to bucking, that trend. It reveals a certain laziness and makes me, at least, less likely to accept what I'm being told.

That's an acute observation made by someone enjoying life through a camera lens.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 01:23:14 PM »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2015, 01:40:51 PM »
The prizes have finally been shipped.  Sorry for the delay.

Were their any indications in the book that may have predicted the whining we saw this week at the US Open.  The only issue I had with the Fox coverage was related to the book.  Some lanky fat piece of SI crap was being interviewed and just after he threw this book under the bus he tossed DJ under as well.  He shouldn't have it both ways.

Steve Lang

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2015, 11:00:28 AM »
 8)  John,

The package from the Jaka B Benevolent Scholarship Fund arrived on my doorstep Friday, and I shall endeavor to write a book report, if you care about the perspective of a 63 year old Professional Student..  and will pass the book on to anyone interested in turn.

Thanks again
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Matt MacIver

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 10:13:54 PM »
I just read the Bubba excerpt. It was essentially a composite of what I've read about him before.  It made me like him less...again. 

Martin Toal

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2015, 01:07:32 PM »
Never liked Bubba, probably never will. Hadn't heard all that stuff until last year, but he had always come over as unlikeable. Then there was the whole ADHD thing. In the UK, we don't believe in ADHD like you lot in the land of the free and the home of the Adderall'd. I think he is just a dick. And I rather doubt he is a devout Christian, perhaps only for brownie and image points. If he is into it (I am not), he should read that book at the centre of it. Some lessons within.

He had a famous prima donna episode at The French Open a few years back, getting all humpy with the crowd, his courtesy car driver, the food, France and just about everything else.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2015, 01:14:03 PM »
Has their been any indication on what Bubba plans to do with the General Lee?

John Kirk

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 01:22:04 PM »
Then there was the whole ADHD thing. In the UK, we don't believe in ADHD like you lot in the land of the free and the home of the Adderall'd. I think he is just a dick.

Thank you, Doctor.  I agree.

Ben Attwood

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 06:24:14 AM »
Then there was the whole ADHD thing. In the UK, we don't believe in ADHD like you lot in the land of the free and the home of the Adderall'd. I think he is just a dick.

Whether or not the 'UK' believes in ADHD or not, it is a medical diagnosis in the UK. I would suggest you show some sympathy to those with this diagnosis and not devalue someone who suffers.

Whether or not Bubba is a dick is a different matter and is as closely related to ADHD as any medical diagnosis is.

Martin Toal

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 07:37:01 AM »

Whether or not the 'UK' believes in ADHD or not, it is a medical diagnosis in the UK. I would suggest you show some sympathy to those with this diagnosis and not devalue someone who suffers.

Whether or not Bubba is a dick is a different matter and is as closely related to ADHD as any medical diagnosis is.

I know that ADHD is a real condition. I should have said that the UK hasn't adopted it with the same zeal as the US and I hope they never do. 

There has been a massive proliferation in the numbers who claim to have ADHD, either through self diagnosis, diagnosis by charlatans who have a personal interest in making such diagnoses or through looking up the internet, so the core of genuine cases are now surrounded by a large halo of those who don't but want to use it to explain something about them. They (and people like Bubba) devalue the treatment, assessment and public perception of those who really have it. Do you want people to think that ADHD is characterised by dick like behaviour? That is what Bubba does for the cause.

Ben Attwood

Re: "Slaying the Tiger" by Shane Ryan New
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2015, 06:18:19 AM »
Thanks for clarifying Martin, I'll send you a PM as this off-off topic.

On this topic I read the Bubba excerpt and found it an engaging read. I think it's interesting that there is tension around someone writing about all aspects of the way a sports person is portrayed rather than just as a hero. The hero story sells and all the socio-cultural machinery is set up for this so when someone comes along as says hey this hero is also not really liked it messes things up.

The same way you only read about the 'titans of industry' or CEO's and their heroic acts but never really about them being a dick. Someone who confused journalists in this was Zinedine Zidane. He went out performing as the best in the world whilst also committing a violent despicable act, in the same final hour of his career, on the biggest stage, and never hiding from this. It was interesting to see how the journalists framed that.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 08:35:03 AM by Ben Attwood »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back