News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Does anyone know of any courses that have added slope and contours to their greens?  We always hear of flattening of greens, I'm just curious if any courses have added slope.

Tom_Doak

Does anyone know of any courses that have added slope and contours to their greens?  We always hear of flattening of greens, I'm just curious if any courses have added slope.

Yeamans Hall.

Medinah #1, too, but that was more of a redesign than restoring old contours.

Greg Tallman

Cabo del Sol (Ocean) - We have added significant movement to the holes that have been modified over the last 10 years. Holes 5,6,7 and 16 now have much more interest than the original greens.

Ben Kodadek

Rivermont and Brunswick Country Club come to mind. 

Daniel Jones

#4 and #12 at Ocala Golf Club.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Cabo del Sol (Ocean) - We have added significant movement to the holes that have been modified over the last 10 years. Holes 5,6,7 and 16 now have much more interest than the original greens.

And play absolutely great because of the changes.
Not in excess..although perhaps Mr N wanted them to but Big Greg stopped that crap!!!!!!

Dave Givnish

Desert Forest

Greg Tallman

And play absolutely great because of the changes.
Not in excess..although perhaps Mr N wanted them to but Big Greg stopped that crap!!!!!!

I kept begging for complexes like 18 at CB...  ;D

Jeff Bergeron

Every green at Desert Forest. To a fault.

Ian Andrew

This is from the Green is Beautiful Magazine published by The Ontario Golf Superintendents
I rebuilt the greens after the devastating winter of 2013/2014

The clubs has wanted faster greens and more challenging greens.
So I built both into the contours, which would be on the steep side (think 3's)

It addressed getting water and ice off the surfaces too.
Plus, I would rather Ian (the super) manage the speed than be forced to manufacture the speed.

Here's the article: http://issuu.com/blenheim/docs/ogsa_gisb_winter2015_fin/1
article is on page 16 - link is to front

There is lots of steep grades at the Rebuild of Maple Downs too.
I watched a local well-known course "go decidedly flat" a few years back and was appalled at how uninteresting the course has become.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:20:19 PM by Ian Andrew »
-

Martin Lehmann

At our course in The Netherlands, De Zuid Limburgse Golf & Country Club Wittem, the old Fred Hawtree greens from 1956 are being replaced by new ones designed by Caspar Grauballe from Martin Hawtree's firm. The old push-up greens were almost flat, the new ones have quite some movement. Although we didn't measure and map-out the old greens, as advocated by some architects on this site, we managed to build new, challenging greens, that are completely true to the original Fred Hawtree design style.

jeffwarne

Great thread-
Some very positive posts.
 No doubt it is more difficult to add contour to greens due to ever increasing speeds and the fact that it's easier for a member to accept anything wild or innovative that was there when they joined-not so much when it happens on their watch (the lowest common denominator theory)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 07:40:46 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ryan Coles

When did they stop building greens and start building 'complexes'?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back