News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Lewis

Jarring
« on: June 01, 2015, 11:50:32 PM »
So, my reverie watching Royal County Down is interrupted by turning on Golf Channel tonight and seeing Concession. Jarring is the only word I can use to describe it.  Whatever is natural and fun about RCD is artificial and overdone at Concession.  I understand many see this as some of JN's best work.  Maybe so, but still....

AChao

Re: Jarring
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 12:08:12 AM »
Concession is better in person ... but you are comparing one of the best in the world to one that started with comparatively horrible land ...

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 12:08:33 AM »
I'm not sure Ive ever heard The Concession referred to as Jack's best work. He has a few courses ranked in the Top 100, I'd guess those would be first in line in terms of his best work.

To your broader point, yes Royal County Down is special and it was a treat to see on tv. I recorded a lot of the action and have been re-viewing daily.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ben Malach

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 07:45:59 PM »
After watching the action at The Concession for the past two weeks. I am amazed at the contrast in the viewing quality of the the bunkers some seem to be close mow and the other seem to be left as a semi native with a sharp cut line in between. Which does not seem to be favorable to the look of the grass and the bunkering. As it highlights the hyper angular look of the lines in the bunker leading them to look strange and forced. The greens however look cool and seem to have lots of movement. But the fairways seem to lack contour or character.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 08:41:56 PM by Ben Malach »
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 07:58:06 PM »
I loved watching the ladies miss greens, roll into the numerous drainage areas, then have a steep downhill lie to an uphill green...repeat.  So frequent, it was misery to watch.

They would have to pay me to play it.
Joe

https://pillarsofgolf.wordpress.com

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide". - Mike Nuzzo

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 10:12:02 PM »
The Concession wasn't the worst course on TV this weekend......
probably should've kept my opinion to myself though on "PGA Tour Radio" ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Keith Phillips

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 11:14:55 PM »
Mac, I'm not sure I've seen a recent list of JN's best, but I have seen Concession listed in the top 5-10 in Florida and that might imply a high ranking among Nicklaus courses.  I like a lot of what I see, but Concession does seem quite penal - I'm not a fan of OB or repetitive water hazards, but Concession appears guilty of one if not both.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back