News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Capacious CASTLE STUART GOLF LINKS
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2015, 05:06:23 AM »
Ally

Its really the 12-15 stretch which doesn't set well with me.  Sure, 12 is okay (I don't really like it though) and 13 is good if perhaps a bit too busy.  I really dislike the centreline bunker on 14.  It looks out of sorts...other than that the hole is good.  When I saw the fallaway right of the green I immediately thought it would be cool if that was carried up the fairway to incorporate the bunker...a sort of upper and lower fairway.  15 didn't tickle my fancy because its quite similar to 7.  The final three holes are good though. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean_A

« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2020, 05:44:00 AM »
I think Sean has Castle Stuart bang on and Masterpiece is an apt description.

I find it a difficult call with Kingsbarns - both are such great fun. What really shone through for me at CS was the attention to detail, they'd clearly agonised over every little aspect. I also think it is a genius routing.

I do believe if they were 150 years old, both would get 9's.

Ryan

As a matter of interest what makes you think it is a genius routing ?

Niall

I tell you what is genius... the beverage station half-way up the climb from 12 to 13 (I assume it's still there). Definitely one of golf's tough walks.

I listened to the Cookie Jar podcast with G Hanse talking about Castle Stuart. He claimed the 12 to 13 walk is easier than Dornoch's 6 to 7 walk. I immediately found this hard to believe. Is it true?

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 02:12:02 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

David_Tepper

« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2020, 10:54:26 AM »
New Castle Stuart video hear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUbaPbdmHB4

My guess is the walk from 12 to 13 at Castle Stuart is short & steeper than the walk from 6 to 7 at Dornoch.

Niall C

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2020, 01:12:47 PM »
My perception is the Castle Stuart climb is significantly steeper than RD. Also going by Google Earth the distance on plan is nearly 50% greater at CS than RD. Add in also that the climb at CS is after playing an uphill par 5 whereas at RD it is after playing a par 3 with a short climb to the green. There seems no question that the transition at CS is more taxing.

Niall

James Boon

« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2020, 05:08:28 PM »
I dont think this is even a contest. Castle Stuart 12 to 13 is longer and steeper than 6 to 7 at Royal Dornoch. Why else would they have refreshments half way up if they didnt recognise it was a tough uphill transition?
Cheers,
James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Sean_A

« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2020, 05:48:56 AM »
Thanks all. I thought the Hanse claim was wildly erroneous.

Merry Christmas

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back