News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Wilson

The Machrie with Photos
« on: June 05, 2015, 08:18:59 PM »
http://rs9.pbsrc.com/albums/a63/stev133/The%20Machrie/2015-05-08%2011.28.04.jpg~c200

The Machrie as it currently stands is undergoing considerable revision with an eye to those changes being completed in 2018.  Work done on the hotel and chalets or whatever the term will be for additional housing is intended to be completed in 2017.

My conversations with Ian Brown, whose exact connection with the projects never became entirely clear to me, indicated that rather than removing the blindness that is so much a part of The Machrie's reputation and charm, the changes to the course are intended to provide alternatives which would increase rather than eliminate options.  My conversations with him elicited the intention to give players the opportunity to choose a longer and perhaps inferior angle to the green rather than the blind one and superior one.  Although later on he seemed to indicate he didn't know why anyone would choose a blind approach over a sighted one.

Additionally within the first ten holes, two of the weaker holes, both par 3s, will be taken out of the routing and replaced.  It is difficult to see how the new holes could fail to be improvements over the existing fifth and tenth.  There will be some changes on the first holes of the back nine as the design will cross the burn and create a new 10th and 11th.  As these holes, like the new third and the new ninth, are not yet in the ground it's not possible to assess them.

These photos of the 1st shows the broken, tumbling ground on the approach.  Currently playing as a par 3, this terrain will be even more in play when the hole is lengthened and returned to its projected par 4 status with a tee close to hotel.  It will be, with the possible exception of the very longest hitters, a blind approach.

On the second, there's not much to say about blindness as there is none.  The hole hugs the burn in an arc swing from right to left.  It will be made longer and returned to true par 5 by moving the green some 50 yards further along.  My recollection is that the burn will remain in play on the left side and in the future come into play immediately behind the new green. Currently the hole plays as a long par 4 instead of a 5 and long hitters don't even have to challenge the burn to get home in two.

In the left background of the photo immediately above, the new green can be seen in front of the blown out sand.  The "bunker" is across the burn and so will not be in play.

Below is a picture of what as identified to me as the original Mount Zion dune.  It didn't help that I received two other conflicting opinions on which dune was the real Mount Zion.  I felt like I was on To Tell the Truth and all three contestants stood up at the end.  I'm not convinced anyone currently on site actually knows which dune was the original.  I believe it was Ian Brown who relayed to me that it was a par 5 along the shore with the green situated in the saddle of the dune and that Harry Vardon called it the hardest hole he ever played. 

Here's another candidate for the Original Mount Zion green site.  I like the looks of this one better.

At this point it could get confusing as the hole numbers will change in the future as a new par three will be inserted into the routing with the new tee close by the second green.  This par 3 will replace the undistinguished 5th.  So, the current 3rd will be the future 4th.  To avoid the confusion and added detail of labeling holes as the current 3/future 4 I will refer to the holes as they are now numbered.

As this photo clearly reveals the approach to the 3rd is clearly blind  as this directional post marks the way.  I played the first five holes of my first round with a local who's employed at Bruichladdich.  He said the rule of thumb is that the green is 30 yards beyond the directional posts.  It's a rule that works on this one, but later on, not so much.

Looking down at the 3rd Green with the 4th tee in the background

The 3rd green from the side.   The three balls that are, I hope clearly visible, were putted using the left slope, the right slope and directly at the hole.  They finished with a yard of each other.   A sunken green, but perhaps not technically a punchbowl.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Steve Wilson

Re: The Machrie with Photos
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 08:33:46 PM »
I've misplaced my photos of the tees on 3 and 4, but the next two photos give a good idea of the fourth which is a terrific hole.  Down into a low point with tumbling terrain and then back up to a green that is guarded by uneven and raised terrain.  The green is long and narrow but accepts and funnels a well placed approach.

The Approach to the 4th.  Not entirely blind, but...

The green of the 4th

What I described earlier as the "undistinguished" 5th.  This hole will also be removed from the routing.

The next three photos get us to the 6th

Number 6 tee

The vicinity of my approach, and still no green in sight.

Ah there it is!  This is one of the three greens on the course that sit below sea level and do no drain in the winter.  Each of them will be raised above sea level but their contours and surrounds are to be preserved and raised also.

The View from the 7th Tee.  Blind enough for you?

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 09:24:31 PM »
Once over the dune with your blind tee shot, there is a lot of room to the right, but on the left is the stretch of sand that gives the hole it's name, Scot's Maiden

Out there, somewhere, is another sunken green.

And when I locate that photo I'll post it below:

This space reserved for #7 green.

The 8th Tee--more blindness

The 9thTee

The 9th green with an interesting skate board ramp reminiscent of Mike Young's 16th or 17th at Long Shadow, except Mike made his about five times as high.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 09:50:03 PM »
At this point the course became very confusing as the course map didn't correspond or even resemble the current and temporary configuration.  After playing the inexplicable tenth:  a par 3 with a flat oval green with a burn behind and approached from a slightly elevated tee with a short iron or wedge.  If you've played much municipal or public golf you've seen this hole on virtually every course you've ever played.  In fact, you may have seen two or more times in some routings.  My informant, Ian Brown, described it as the poorest hole on the course, and it appeared during the most recent revision some years ago when the club lost the land back to farm at the beginning of the course.  Mr. Brown said that he thought the architect had been paid "seven and six" for his efforts. 

After two false starts including playing to the 13th green from the 11th tee, I finally found my way.  Did I mention that by this time there was no one on the course but me and some of the construction crew. 

Steve Wilson

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 10:56:06 PM »
As the site won't let me modify my posts (is this a problem or a new protocol I missed the implementation of), I can't post photos to previous replies so must plow ahead with the recovered photos on a new post.

The approach to the 8th and the 8th green itself.  This green features the most internal contours of any that I recall.

Because the course is such a muddle out on the far end including two holes across the burn that are still in the process of being created, shaped, etc.  I'm going to bring this home with this last post.

From the "11th Tee" Temporary and confusing.

Unfortunately I have no photos of the remainder of the 11th.  A pity as it does have a cool green that absolutely requires an approach from the center or the right of the fairway.  Go left and there's no way to get close to two thirds of the available pin positions.

The 12th Green which is a skyline green though a moderate one.  This photo shows the effect if not the contours themselves.  Having come up short with my tee shot I chipped/pitched the ball ten yards right of the hole to get the ball this close.  There are two tiers to this green and obviously a funneling effect from high right to low left.

Trying to find the 13th .  The tee turned out to be benched into a dune to the left of the 12th green.

The Marker Pole for your second on 13

My ball just short of the (temporary) 13th.  See the new green tucked into the cove in the background.  I did manage to make 4 here but didn't consider it a birdie until I saw there was a 104 yard par 4 on the PGA Tour recently.

The beginning of a glorious stretch of holes:  the 14th tee for a dogleg left.

The approach to the 14th.  Note the furrows.  Not all links land wasn't cultivated.

The 15th Tee.  This is one hole on which the blindness is to be removed.  Note the evidence of earth moving to the left.

The marker pole on the current 15th

The marker pole in the 16th fairway.  The green is hidden by the dune on the right and is sloped back to front with a shallow swale in front.

The 16th Green

Another blind tee shot on the 17th.  There is a very wide fairway beyond the dune on the right which masks it.

The magnificent approach and marker post to the 17th.

The superb 17th Green.  Another of those below sea level which is slated to be raised but replicated.

The 18th Fairway from the Tee

The Blind Approach to the elevated and Marker Posted 18th

The 18th Green and my ball, but not there in 2.

I think it's evident there is a lot of blindness at the Machrie and that a lot of it will remain.  Whether the redesign remains true to its stated purpose can only be judged once it's in the dirt.  It seems a shame to me that they would remove much of the blindness and quirk that has formed the mystique of The Machrie almost as much as its remoteness.  I know I was drawn to it for both reasons and I'm certainly glad I made the trip.

I have tentative plans to be swinging through the Hebrides again next summer and if I do so I will certainly stop by and play The Machrie again for the enjoyment and also to monitor the progress.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 09:02:37 AM »
Upper right corner of each post has "quote" and "modify" and you can modify your posts there.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Steve Wilson

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 10:46:36 AM »
When I try the modify button it sends me back to the home page.

C. Sturges

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 11:19:06 AM »
Steve,
Thanks for taking me back to one of my favorite courses!  I am also glad to hear they are not moving as fast and as dramatically with removing the blind shots.  When I was there last fall they made it sound like there dream course was perfectly flat and had no character.  I think it is very important to remember were our sport came from and that it is about having a good time, not just shooting a low number.
Thanks Steve,
chris

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 09:22:11 PM »
When I try the modify button it sends me back to the home page.

I was having that problem a few days ago....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back