News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Moum

TOC Surprise
« on: May 25, 2015, 05:33:48 PM »
So... Today my wife and I, along with a friend had a chance to play The Old Course on a nearly perfect day. Cool, breezy, fast and firm.

It's the first time I've been on through the ballot, and it was our first try this year.

So what's the surprise?

We told the starter that we'd be happy to take a fourth and it turned out to be another gray-haired American named Fortson.

Anyone around here know him?

FWIW, on GCA matters, the new bunkers on 3 look like they've been there forever.  The new one on 9 doesn't look old, but it is in an interesting spot, and I was only a few feet from driving in it.

It is VERY interesting playing it this close to the Open, as nearly all the stands are up.

Highlight of MY day, laying a putt dead on the Road Hole from about 70 feet to save five.

Low light... getting hit by a golf ball while playing for the first time in my 50+ years of playing.  Icing my elbow, but it's going to hurt tomorrow.

K
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 05:40:42 PM by Ken Moum »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Jeff Fortson

Re: TOC Surprise
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 06:37:21 PM »
Too funny!  I looked at the ballot when you mentioned you had been drawn and thought to myself, "strong chance my dad finds his way into that group". Hope you enjoyed your round and I hope my father behaved himself. Today was the 6th or 7th round on TOC in the last 10 days for him. He'll play it 15-20 more times before it closes for The Open. I'm guessing he has 200-400 rounds on TOC and has a deep love for it as most of us do. Thanks for sharing and thanks for your comments on the recent changes.

Jeff
#nowhitebelt

Ken Moum

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 06:49:06 PM »
Playing with your dad was a pleasure.

But the funniest thing was that your mom and my wife hit it off. Turns out my wife met a close friend of hers from Anthem at a Topeka Symmetra event, and they hit it off.  There appears to be a golf date for the three of them coming next winter when we visit my mother in Mesa.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Greg Gilson

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 07:54:32 PM »
Low light... getting hit by a golf ball while playing for the first time in my 50+ years of playing.  Icing my elbow, but it's going to hurt tomorrow.

So, I guess you agree the TOC is the world's most dangerous course?

Ken Moum

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 02:51:30 AM »

So, I guess you agree the TOC is the world's most dangerous course?

Well, it could be.  If I hadn't been in the wrong place it would have never happened. Two caddies tried to prevent it. One in our group who warned me about the other group, and the one carrying the other player's bag who yelled fore.

Where I was is a particularly dangerous spot because the players coming off three tee pretty much all aim into the middle...where I hit my tee shot on 16.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 08:18:53 AM »
Maybe the dangerous situation where tee shots from both 3 and 16 tee go way left is the reason the Links Trust continues to grow rough left of the Principal's Nose.   Too bad, it's making the formerly strategic hole one dimensional. 

Will removal of gorse down the right side going out reduce the danger of going way left on those holes?

Drew Groeger

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 02:32:14 PM »
Quick sidebar question: Did you have to hit off of mats?

Ken Moum

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 03:07:57 PM »
Re. mats, no we didn't.  The mats were in use through at least March, and now all they did is mark some areas with staked-down ropes where they think the pros are going be in large numbers--those areas have a couple of mats hanging from a stake and you are required to use them.  They do not want you to move out of the area.

In our group exactly one shot was hit off a mat, by my wife:

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 06:28:03 PM »

It is VERY interesting playing it this close to the Open, as nearly all the stands are up.

K

Ken (or others)

Hope the elbow is better!!!   Will be there mid July, what are your thoughts on attending the Open as a spectator?  Will it be possible to see much of the course, or follow a group?

Thanks!
Mike

Ken Moum

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 06:59:09 PM »

K

Ken (or others)

Hope the elbow is better!!!   Will be there mid July, what are your thoughts on attending the Open as a spectator?  Will it be possible to see much of the course, or follow a group?

Thanks!
Mike

I was thinking about that yesterday while we were playing. There's no way it can be a great viewing experience on site.  The stands are well placed so anyone inclined to use them can have a decent day.

Personally, I've gotten over the desire to attend pro events. I like practice rounds because you can actually get a good idea of what's happening.

But even that at St Andrews has to be difficult.

And I can't imagine what it's like getting around during the open. Scottish roads are hairy anyway, adding Open traffic has to be incredible.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 01:18:05 AM »
I would not try and follow a group but would head to the grandstand out at the loop and spend the day.  You can see shots on 7, 8, 9, , 10 and 11.  Take a lunch and enjoy.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 06:58:10 PM »
I would not try and follow a group but would head to the grandstand out at the loop and spend the day.  You can see shots on 7, 8, 9, , 10 and 11.  Take a lunch and enjoy.

There are also vantage points where you can stand and watch a few groups go through.  Near the ninth green and on a knob close to the 5th hole spectacles are two.  Agree with Stan, you can do that and also watch groups go through from the bleachers.  The good thing then is the double greens.  You can sit in the stand by 14 and watch players on 4 as well.  We were at the 2005 Open for three days and never got bored. 

On the other hand, my St Andrews friend agreed with me that as many as 10,000 Scots never left the beer tents!   Big screen and beer, how bad could it be?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 03:29:11 AM »
There are a bunch of good spots. My favourite is the knob behind and to the left of the championship tee on 11. There, you can see most of the Loop and you get pretty close to the guys teeing off on 11. Especially good in practice rounds. In 2005 I was sat there on Wednesday and saw Vijay Singh hit an approach to five feet on 10, and then miss the putt. He looked astonished, dragged the ball back and missed it again. Repeat about six times. Finally he made the putt and the gallery exploded in applause. Vijay was less amused.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 03:35:00 AM »
There are a bunch of good spots. My favourite is the knob behind and to the left of the championship tee on 11. There, you can see most of the Loop and you get pretty close to the guys teeing off on 11. Especially good in practice rounds. In 2005 I was sat there on Wednesday and saw Vijay Singh hit an approach to five feet on 10, and then miss the putt. He looked astonished, dragged the ball back and missed it again. Repeat about six times. Finally he made the putt and the gallery exploded in applause. Vijay was less amused.

Amen, Adam

Practice days are the only days to visit TOC during an Open.  In 2010 we stood within touching distance of numerous "greats" out on the course and were treated to a fantastic clinic for kids in one of the tents given by Ian Poulter.  Josie and I'll be there on the Wednesday.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Pat Burke

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 03:40:39 AM »
I've only played TOC in tournament trim.  I would imagine it's easier.
Grandstands and tents make for great targets, especially on tee shots!

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 03:23:47 PM »
Thanks for the feedback...I will be there on family vacation and my interest in following a group has more to do with seeing the course than picking out a favorite golfer.

Sounds like Wednesday would be best and I have some flexibility.

Appreciate the help!!!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 04:31:41 PM »

Amen, Adam

Practice days are the only days to visit TOC during an Open.  In 2010 we stood within touching distance of numerous "greats" out on the course and were treated to a fantastic clinic for kids in one of the tents given by Ian Poulter.  Josie and I'll be there on the Wednesday.

I was at 5 days of the 1990 Open. The practice day was the most enjoyable by a distance. Although I now remember walking up the 18th behind Faldo in the last group as they put the ropes over on the Sunday. Which has given me cause to ask when did they get rid of that element of spectating?

Ryan Coles

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 05:52:20 PM »

Amen, Adam

I was at 5 days of the 1990 Open. The practice day was the most enjoyable by a distance. Although I now remember walking up the 18th behind Faldo in the last group as they put the ropes over on the Sunday. Which has given me cause to ask when did they get rid of that element of spectating?

Tiger Woods.

10 years later over zealous security were throwing spectators in the swilken burn.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back