News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: Raising the minimum wage in the golf industry
« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2015, 11:56:11 AM »
Mike,

I guess it is down to different continents, laws and social expectations. 60 hours a week is way above the legal limit here in the EU.

Jon

Mike_Young

« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2015, 08:38:48 PM »
Mike,

I guess it is down to different continents, laws and social expectations. 60 hours a week is way above the legal limit here in the EU.

Jon
I guess.  We have nurses here working 75 hours a week.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Brent Hutto

« Reply #127 on: May 26, 2015, 08:49:44 PM »
There are places in the world where there's a law against working too much. There are other places where there is no such law.

Small wonder that a guy living in one of those systems has trouble engaging in political debates with a guy living in the other...

Daryl David

« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2015, 09:49:45 PM »
The only limit on hours worked in most US states apply to jobs where a tired worker could injure others rather than themselves.  Examples are pilots, truck drivers, nuclear plant operators (Homer Simpson  ;D).  Other fields like general labor, skilled labor and the trades work schedules more like Mike mentioned.  60 to 80 hours is the norm if the worker wants to make a real good living.   Any move to limit hours of those jobs in the US would be political suicide.  I negotiated lots of labor agreements when I was a pup and would have been skinned alive if I suggested that plant workers be limited to 40 hours of work in a week.  :'(

Elsewhere in the world, laws limiting the hours worked were not conceived out of concern for worker safety.  While politicians may say that is what they are for, they are really employment laws designed to ensure that more workers are hired.  High overtime means less total employees.  Limiting hours to 40 (or less in some countries) results in the employer having to carry more headcount.  Who can say which system is best?  One where the most driven and ambitious make the most money or one where more are employed but making less.  Feel free to discuss.   ;)

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2015, 09:57:51 PM »
I am so tired of seeing this thread rise to the top. It doesn't have anything to do with GCA. Please stop!

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2015, 03:30:09 AM »
Jeff,

Relax!

I love these threads as this is when I, as an outcast in distant Australia, get a glimpse of how American culture works! This American one seems to be working one hell of a lot…overtime!  I feel that these threads round out GCA and allow one to get wee insights as to how others think and feel ..it fleshes out personalities. These threads give fabulous insights into the machinations and peculiarities abounding in America. Here in Oz patients would be scared to death if they were nursed by a practioner at the end of their 75 hour week!  Simply amazing information and something I would never, ever have expected in a first world country but there you go. 

I learn something new and extraordinary each time a political-socio-economic regarding the good old U.S.fo A.thread rears its head. So I for one am happy to see this type of thing in moderation as it makes the GCA community more real for me. Just the way I think I guess.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Bill_McBride

« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2015, 08:30:00 AM »
Mike,

Jon

What is that, 7-1/2 ten hour days?

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2015, 08:49:49 AM »
I might once again reference the 10 happiest countries:

1. Switzerland
2. Iceland
3. Denmark
4. Norway
5. Canada
6. Finland
7. The Netherlands
8. Sweden
9. New Zealand
10. Australia

I don't believe any of these have folks working absurd hours and most if not all have higher minimum wages than the US.  Not a coincidence that if you're working, working, working you're probably not the happiest person around...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #133 on: May 27, 2015, 09:10:09 AM »
The unhappy people in the USA don't have a job.  You'd have to be an unemployed schmuck to respond to a survey asking if you are happy.

John Kirk

« Reply #134 on: May 27, 2015, 09:40:28 AM »
Mike,

Jon

What is that, 7-1/2 ten hour days?

Actually, it's 4 nineteen hour days, so they can enjoy a long weekend.

Signed,
Unemployed, sort of happy, with a self-assessed keen sense of humor.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #135 on: May 27, 2015, 09:47:15 AM »
Nursing schools are full with huge waiting lists.

Mike_Young

« Reply #136 on: May 27, 2015, 10:06:06 AM »
They often will work two hospitals with neither of the others knowing the hours they had at the other. 
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2015, 10:20:31 AM »
Well now they can quit one of the hospital jobs and go work the nightshift at Walmart.  The forthcoming Walmart brain drain in rural communities will be far reaching. 

Gary Sato

« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2015, 01:07:44 PM »
Jeff,

Relax!

I love these threads as this is when I, as an outcast in distant Australia, get a glimpse of how American culture works! This American one seems to be working one hell of a lot…overtime!  I feel that these threads round out GCA and allow one to get wee insights as to how others think and feel ..it fleshes out personalities. These threads give fabulous insights into the machinations and peculiarities abounding in America. Here in Oz patients would be scared to death if they were nursed by a practioner at the end of their 75 hour week!  Simply amazing information and something I would never, ever have expected in a first world country but there you go. 

I learn something new and extraordinary each time a political-socio-economic regarding the good old U.S.fo A.thread rears its head. So I for one am happy to see this type of thing in moderation as it makes the GCA community more real for me. Just the way I think I guess.

Cheers Colin

Glad you were entertained, so was I.

This thread has run it's course.  Its a political minefield, with interesting points by all. 

Let's bring it back in 5 years to see who was right.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2015, 02:33:35 PM »
"Let's bring it back in 5 years to see who was right."

Bad policies can last more than 5 years. The trajectory of mandatory wage laws is obvious.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back