News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

herrstein

My friend King Oehmig left us last night, apparently of an aneurism of some kind. He was fishing and waiting for his two sons and their wives to join him for dinner.
It was a sudden and unexpected loss. Many of you knew King through Lookout Mountain and Black Creek. He was one of my closest friends and a great fan of the Scottish game. He helped make the nine-hole renovation by Gil Hanse of the Sewanee course happen; he was a co-founder at Black Creek, and he was my compatriot in getting the first restoration project done at Lookout Mountain, by Brian Silva.
He was certainly the most successful high school golf coach of all time, at Baylor School, where his progeny included Harris English, Luke List, Brooke Pancake, and many college All-Americans. His girls teams won 16 consecutive State golf championships, a national record in any sport. He coached both boys and girls. The boys were also an incredibly dominant team throughout his tenure.
He was also an Episcopal priest, and a prolific writer on theology. He was a gentle man in every sense of the word, who loved golf, the walk, and compelling architecture.
I will miss him terribly.

BCowan

Doug,

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and King's family.  I never knew him personally, but I will never forget the passionate presentation King and yourself made at Lookout Mtn 15 months ago.  God Bless.

-Ben

BCrosby

Doug -

Awful news. A couple of years ago King gave me a tour of Hanse's redo of Sewanee just before it opened. It was a cold spring day, we tramped through mud up to our ankles, but he was anxious that we visit all the major changes. He loved the project and could not have been prouder of the 'new' course. Justifiably so. I think it is now one of the best nine hole courses in the US.

Did King have a church in Chattanooga? I assume he attended the seminary at Sewanee.

King will be deeply missed.

Bob

herrstein

King was currently the Rector at St. Barnabas Church in Trion, GA. He did attend Sewanee for seminary.

Mike_Young

Rymer and myself played him and his partner in the Honors member guest (or whatever it is called) a few years ago....how was he related to Lou?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

JMEvensky

Rymer and myself played him and his partner in the Honors member guest (or whatever it is called) a few years ago....how was he related to Lou?

son

john_stiles

Thoughts and prayers for the family and all his friends at Lookout.

King was greatly beloved.

He loved his golf, and everything about golf.

Will always remember his hosting the Raynor nuts at the family house.

The ole Swing Ding tourney is but a few weeks away.

Am sure everyone will be telling their King stories in fond memory of a great person.

RJ_Daley

The passing of a great golf friend is like losing a family member.  Condolences to his friends an family.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Chris Cupit

I am so sorry to hear this news.  I have always looked forward to seeing King and Lex at Linville's Four-Ball every year and his occasional sermon at the Wee Kirk.  What a prince of a man.

Rees Milikin

Deeply saddened to hear this news.  The golf community has lost a great one and he will be sorely missed.  

RIP King :'(

Rob Collins

I was so sad to hear this news. From the moment I first met him in 2010, he felt like an old friend. His impact on the lives of others, including my own, was profound.

Doug, thank you for writing this post. What a full, impactful, and wonderful life he had! 
Rob Collins

www.kingcollinsgolf.com
@kingcollinsgolf on Twitter
@kingcollinsgolf on Instagram

herrstein

Several have asked about the arrangements. King's service will by this Friday, March 29, at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Chattanooga. 2 p.m., with visitation beginning at 12:30. Afterwards the family will receive friends at the Mountain City Club down the street.
I said earlier King was Rector at St. Barnabas In Trion, GA; but he had retired and then picked back up the collar at The Church of the Nativity in Ft. Oglethorpe. My memory of the name was incorrect.
Many of you golfers didn't know King was very well known in the Episcopal Church for his writings and his publication, Synthesis.
My last correspondence with him was about the e-mail I sent with the Raynor drawings of Lookout to the members of the Walking Golfer's Society. I had copied him, to remind him of the drawings. His responce:
"Great!!"
He was always encouraging and upbeat. I will miss him.

Joe Sponcia

Sad news.  What a great man.  You knew you were in the presence of a special person within minutes, that was Mr. Oehmig.  So honored to have met him.  Very sobering. 
Joe

https://pillarsofgolf.wordpress.com

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide". - Mike Nuzzo

Ari Techner

So sorry to hear this news.   King was a great man.  He will be missed by many many people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back