News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Mackenzie

I may be mistaken, but the original post directed questions at why NEW course openings are for the affluent while the game overall is in decline. That, Mr. Warner, is 100% about the striated economy. If you see it another way, then I am interested in hearing why.

But I love this line,

"I have heard enough about the economy.... Here in the Hamptons...." ;D

Josh Stevens

What is the legal or taxation situation in the US with regard to clubs selling up?

In Australia, clubs operate as not for profit associations and so don't pay tax.  The caveat then tends to be that should for any reason, the club be wound up and the land sold, the proceeds cannot be distributed to the members - it must be reinvested back into some other facility or given to charity.

This has probably led to there being far more nice cheap little metropolitan  clubs still in existence than would otherwise be if they were allowed to sell up and pocket the cash.  The clubs are still struggling and there are a few mergers going on, but in general the nuclear option of selling up is quite tricky to pull off and so there is more of a drift toward cutting costs and essentially rebalancing to a lower frills and more flexible model that suits more punters.

Its painful but it is moving in that direction

jeffwarne

I may be mistaken, but the original post directed questions at why NEW course openings are for the affluent while the game overall is in decline. That, Mr. Warner, is 100% about the striated economy. If you see it another way, then I am interested in hearing why.

But I love this line,

"I have heard enough about the economy.... Here in the Hamptons...." ;D

Mr. Mackenzier,
Yes the economy is striated but most middle class have choices and priorities.
Which area of the country has a middle class that would have trouble affording a $375 ANNUAL membership if they actually sacrificed something else? (which is the price of a local course here-another is $500- where everything else is very expensive)

Throughout the country,middle Class people drive leased cars nicer than our parents ever had, have handheld computers at their fingertips, and fancy cable setups, eat out frequently, yet cry poor when it comes to golf.
There are of course many overpriced golf options but golf has never been more affordable.
I used The Hamptons because if affordable golf is here in the land of million dollar an acre property, it sure is other places. And rest assured there is a working class here.

I grew up very middle class and we never ate out, had 10 year old cars, no cable even when it became in vogue,camped at a local lake for vacation, yet my parents found a way to afford reasonably priced golf for me-which we never would've had if they had chased the toys many people chase today and see as things they are entitled to.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Randy Thompson

There have been some very valid points made. I especially liked Ian´s point when refering to Jeff´s quote, "I have heard enough about the economy.... Here in the Hamptons...." Grin  that did make me laugh! However once explained by Jeff he backed up his statement quite well once he filled in the blanks! I see that happen so often on this site...if you don´t choose your words carefully and leave room for interputations...somebody is gonna nail you! I guess that is why a lot of big companies prefer face to face conversations then written correspondences.
 So..what are some of the conclusions we can draw from this thread. Well it sounds like there is lots of affordable golf out there in most áreas of the country. Coming from muncipals courses built in the distant past and top wáter fishing developments that weren´t using the right bait or failed for some other reason and as a result now directs their targeted market to some fishes a little deeper in the lake. I also understand it is imposible to do less, if your in a metropolitian área for the resulting land cost, that seems to be a given. However, I still think more could still be done with some reclaimed lands or other muncipal sites but once in the political ring,,chances seem to eváporate.
Our lifestyles have changed,,another good point and we don´t have the time as we had in the past it seems. But I still feel we are like mice in a maze, our cheese was always there in the right hand corner of the maze and then somebody moved it! But we still go to the same corner and expect the cheese to be there but its not and we are dying a slow death. Time to go look for the cheese somewhere else. How do we develope golfers if there are plenty of affordable options and that is not enough. How can it be done profitably? Maybe its through driving ranges with 9 holes par three around them or three holes, one par three, one par four and one par five...all with artifical turf and a sub base shaped similar to our golf courses today. Has anybody seen Dave Pelz´s back yard? Search it on googles! Carpet has improved and carpet life expectancies are more than ten years. I don´t have all the answers but seems like things are going down hill universal in relation to golf and were not reacting and eventually it will come back to haunt us!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back