News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Benjamin Litman

For those who didn't watch--and judging by the "Ladies Masters at ANGC" thread, that's at least several of you--you missed another scintillating finish to an LPGA event yesterday. It was not quite last week's all-world finish by Sei Young Kim in Hawaii, but exciting nonetheless. Trailing by three strokes to begin the day, and opening her final round bogey-bogey, World No. 1 and now-18-year-old Lydia Ko rebounded with a number of clutch putts, including a must-make downhill right-to-left 8-foot birdie putt on 18, to reach a playoff with Morgan Pressel, who remains the youngest woman to ever win a major, although she hasn't won at all in 7 years. Playing Lake Merced's 3-shot par-5 18th hole, Ko putted first for birdie on the first playoff hole, leaving a gorgeous downhill right-to-left 20-foot putt right in the jaws but an inch short. Pressel, with a chance to win, then missed from 8 feet. On the second playoff hole, again the par-5 18th, Pressel putted first for birdie, but borrowed too much break. That opened the door for Ko, who had hit what she thought was a fat wedge shot to five feet below the hole. She drained it dead center for the win. Here is a video of the highlights: http://www.golfchannel.com/media/late-birthday-present-ko-repeats-swinging-skirts/

The Swinging Skirts LPGA Classic has now been staged at Lake Merced Golf Club twice--this year and last--and Lydia Ko has won both times, in major-like conditions, on the 18th hole. If, as we often say, the quality of the champion is a testament to the quality of a course, Lake Merced deserves far more attention than it gets. Sure, we can lament the many changes to the course since its MacKenzian beginnings (see some of the responses of my review/photo tour of the course), but it continues to deliver. And the LPGA Tour continues to provide consistently better finishes and higher-caliber winners than the PGA Tour.

As for Lydia Ko, I watch sports mostly to watch and appreciate greatness, and because of hers, Lydia became my new favorite golfer last year, surpassing Tiger Woods. Even for those who do not enjoy watching female professionals play golf, I hope you are following the Lydia Ko story, which is the best not only in golf, but in all of sports. Her win, two days after her 18th birthday, is now her 7th on the LPGA Tour. She has won LPGA titles at the age of 15 (1), 16 (1), 17 (4), and 18 (1). She has already twice defended a title--this week and at the age of 16, when she defended the Canadian Open title she had won at age 15. In addition to 4 other professional, non-LPGA wins, she owns multiple amateur titles, including the U.S. Women's Amateur. She is, among many other admirable traits, humble, clutch, and blessed with hands of the gods. For those of you decrying the women's game for its lack of short-game prowess, just watch Lydia Ko play golf. She chips in seemingly twice a tournament and made what is to me, purely in terms of difficulty and execution, the shot of the year on either tour--a delicate pitch on the 3rd hole at Royal Melbourne's Composite Course (the 1st hole of the East Course) in the final round of this year Women's Australian Open (which she also won). Video is here: http://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2015/02/22/video-lydia-ko-holes-eagle-womens-australian-open-9848/
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Brent Hutto

Re: Half-OT: Lake Merced, the LPGA Tour, and Lydia Ko Deliver Yet Again
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 11:59:24 AM »
She also was a very, very good putter until she inexplicably started holding fingers up in front of her face, resulting in quizzical looks and missed six to eight footers.

If it weren't for the two or three makable putts per round she let slip by this week due to confused "reads" there would not have been much excitement at all come Sunday. I've never seen her miss that many putts that I'd have expected her to make, it was like watching Stacy Lewis on a bad day.

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
I watched the tournament with great interest. I am a fan Ms. Ko and the event had "major" feeling to it. There is something about the way SF golf looks on tv that is always, to me, appealing.

I look forward to the match play this week at Harding Park.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 01:39:07 PM »
It's amazing that Ko now has 7 LPGA wins just after her 18th birthday, but has only received a fraction of the media attention that Wie had received at that age.

Her game is great.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 01:52:43 PM »
On a week-to-week basis, the women's circuit is now more interesting than the men's circuit.

Ko and Pressel (and Henderson, the 17-year-old Canadian who stumbled down the stretch) were must-see TV.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 02:29:07 PM »
Lydia Ko has now made the cut in all 50 LPGA events in which she has played, both as an amateur and a professional. She has 29 Top Tens in those 50.

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/04/9-amazing-lydia-ko-golf-stats.html 

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 02:59:48 PM »
Lydia Ko has now made the cut in all 50 LPGA events in which she has played, both as an amateur and a professional. She has 29 Top Tens in those 50.

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/04/9-amazing-lydia-ko-golf-stats.html 

Thanks for this, David. I had no idea about that stat. That is incredible!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 03:56:51 PM »
Brent: I, too, have mixed feelings on the "Aimpoint Express" green-reading method that she put into play recently--especially on short putts, which, as you note, she appears to be be missing more frequently this year. In fact, the Golf Channel's Karen Stupples, at my prompting via Twitter, was planning to ask Lydia after her round yesterday about the use of Aimpoint Express on short putts--during the third round and during previous tournaments, Stupples has audibly wondered whether it wasn't overkill--but of course Lydia then won the tournament, so the question never got asked. I'm guessing the answer will have something to do with consistency of pre-shot routine, which I understand and appreciate. As for her overall performance, she stated that she hit the ball better this year than last, but made more putts last year than this. That, of course, is how it always goes in golf.

David: Both events at Lake Merced have indeed had a "major" feel to them--which is why Lydia's pre-tournament revelation not only that the majors "give me butterflies," but also that she feels her game "isn't up to the standard" at the majors was so perplexing. She IS the standard. I hope the major-itis doesn't get too much in her head, because she clearly has a major-like game to compete anywhere. Amazing to think that it's already an "issue" for her at age 18!

Jeff: I think we all know the reasons why Michelle received more attention at the same age: She's American, she sought out the attention (by playing against the men as opposed to trying to beat the girls/women), and she both looks flashier and plays a more flashy game. Of course, she's a horrific putter and, at least relative to Lydia, not much of a "winner." Thankfully, the coverage of Lydia has skyrocketed since she became World No. 1 at the beginning of the year. It must be demoralizing for Michelle and Lexi--another poor putter--to constantly get paired with Lydia, hit it way past her on every hole, yet end up many strokes behind her at the end of the day.

Tim: I could not agree more. Although the courses (with a few exceptions, such as Royal Melbourne, Lake Merced, Westchester CC, and the U.S. Women's Open host course) are weaker, the finishes are better and almost always involve the top players. I'm not so sure that's because the men's tour is "deeper"--to me, it's instead because the best men are not that much better than the average men, while the best women (like Tiger was) are much better than the average women--but whatever the reason, the results are hard to argue with. They deserve far more TV coverage, and I am infinitely frustrated when the Golf Channel, as they did yesterday, lets the Champions Tour coverage bleed into the women's coverage.

David: If Lydia keeps at this pace, her career stats will be better than anyone else's in history. A big "if," to be sure, and she needs to get the major out of the way, but she's already done FAR more at her age than anyone in history.

"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 09:25:26 PM »
On a week-to-week basis, the women's circuit is now more interesting than the men's circuit.

Ko and Pressel (and Henderson, the 17-year-old Canadian who stumbled down the stretch) were must-see TV.

I must say I agree.
Watching t nonmajor men's golf is liking watching paint dry-in very ugly clothes.

I guess the theory that people prefer watching players hit it really far doesn't really fly.
Great watching them hit something other than wedge to every hole.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

DFarron

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »
Why not the Women's Masters at Lake Merced, great venue and city?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 09:12:33 PM »
Why not the Women's Masters at Lake Merced, great venue and city?

Not as true to Dr. Mac as Pasa or CPC.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back