News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lang

Has anyone built a backyard putting green?
« on: June 13, 2010, 06:52:22 PM »
 8) We're looking at installing an artifical turf putting green of about 850 ft2 in backyard..   initial quotes at ~ 10$/ft2

sweat equity could cut costs in about half, but.. it be nice to just have it done.. location north side of Houston, TX. hot, hot, and humid in summer, just warm and humid rest of year.

does anyone have any experience with artificial putting greens with sand fills and the different materials and turf /backing thicknesses?  
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:19:25 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Wade Whitehead

Re: Has anyone built a backyard putting green?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 09:49:29 PM »
Steve:

I recall a number of threads on this topic at www.GolfWRX.com.

WW

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 08:43:56 AM »
Hi Steve,

I built a golf hole in my backyard - 330sqm green (longest tee shot is 190+yards) - had a thread about it a while ago
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43795.0/

I used this company from Atlanta, Georgia: http://tteksports.com/

Cheers
Brett
@theflatsticker

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Steve Lang

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 08:26:10 PM »
 8)  Howard,

Thanks, but a pot bunker in these parts means bad animal issues... giving added meaning to hazard..

we may finally do something this year.. but the berber carpet in the living room is still working nicely  ::)

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 08:35:05 PM »
I am on my second artificial backyard green.  The main issue I have is that the frost heave in the winter causes the cups to rise up and they are tricky to knock back down.  Presumably you won't have that issue in Houston.

One piece of advice is to make it rather flat.  Mine is a bit uneven as it is between my house and pool and there is a slope away from the house.  That makes one of my three cups pretty much unusable.

Put in a decent amount of fringe as I enjoy chipping from the fringe even more than putting.

Steve Lang

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 07:04:56 AM »
 8)   Wayne, 5 foot fringe wide enough?  I was going to use fringe as drainage channel(s) on one side...

Perhaps a design / routing contest is in order... :o
The voice of Inverness"

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 07:35:36 AM »
I had artificial putting green in my basement, 6 cups. I dropped the floor in another area and creating an indoor cage with canvas target.

Maintenance was nothing plus I set up a camera to tape myself
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 07:58:24 AM »
Nuzzo has put in a number of them.   You can have a contest or just hire a professional to give you something cool that will function over the long haul as well.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 09:04:09 AM »
8)   Wayne, 5 foot fringe wide enough?  I was going to use fringe as drainage channel(s) on one side...

Perhaps a design / routing contest is in order... :o
Five feet is plenty - even three would probably be good.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back