News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pritchett

Re: Augusta National is way too easy...
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2015, 11:50:11 AM »
This year, the 100th longest driver on tour is averaging 288.4 yards off the tee.  #1, Dustin Johnson, is averaging 315.1. 

In 2005, the 100th longest driver averaged 288.7 yards.  #1, Scott Hend, averaged 318.9. 

Unless conditions (courses, weather, rough, maintenance etc) have changed a lot, the pro's were hitting it as far 10 years ago as today. 

Due to the narrowing of the fairways, I would guess the averages are misleading due to many players not hitting driver as much off the tee in recent years. 

Brent Hutto

« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2015, 11:58:32 AM »
Mark,

That's why "driving distance on Tour" doesn't have much to do with nothing.

On most golf courses, on average, over time the ability to drive the ball 340 yards has a very small but significant value over being able to drive it only 300 yards. For situations where you need it, that 40 extra yards is good but usually it's no big deal.

In comparison, the ability to hit the ball near the hole from 240 yards versus being able to hit it the same distance from the hole from 200 yards is greater. Extra clubhead speed produces extra distance and height and allows the use of a more lofted club from the same distance. That's a much bigger deal on long approach shots than the 10% extra distance and height on tee shots you also get from that extra power.

But "driving distance" is easy to bang on about so that's what people like to pretend is important.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2015, 12:00:12 PM »
Good points, as usual, Brent. 

Jim Nugent

« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2015, 02:35:22 PM »
Mark -- the driving stats are based on two holes per round.  I think the tour chooses holes the players will use driver on.  Maybe conditions are tougher now, which makes them hold back more on their drives.  But do you have any evidence that is so? 

I looked at another driving stat: % of drives over 300 yards.  As with distance, it was virtually the same ten years ago as today. 

Mark,

That's why "driving distance on Tour" doesn't have much to do with nothing.

On most golf courses, on average, over time the ability to drive the ball 340 yards has a very small but significant value over being able to drive it only 300 yards. For situations where you need it, that 40 extra yards is good but usually it's no big deal.

In comparison, the ability to hit the ball near the hole from 240 yards versus being able to hit it the same distance from the hole from 200 yards is greater. Extra clubhead speed produces extra distance and height and allows the use of a more lofted club from the same distance. That's a much bigger deal on long approach shots than the 10% extra distance and height on tee shots you also get from that extra power.

But "driving distance" is easy to bang on about so that's what people like to pretend is important.

This year proximity to the hole from 200-225 yards is 41' 7" for the 100th ranked player.  Ten years ago it was 41' 11".  Virtually the same. 

From 225 to 250 yards, the 100th ranked player actually got the ball slightly closer than the 100th ranked player today. 

Doesn't look like the pro's are hitting the ball any nearer the hole now than ten years ago. 

Just based on stats, they aren't hitting the ball further off the tee.  Their approaches aren't getting closer to the hole.  Unless someone can show how the conditions have changed, I'm not seeing any evidence of real distance gains -- with any club. 

I also disagree with Brent that driving distance doesn't matter much.  I think it matters a whole lot. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2015, 02:40:44 PM »
30 years ago all the best amateur players were the longest hitters.  Now even double digit handicappers hit the ball as long as the best players at your club.  That has to be a good thing.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2015, 08:40:05 PM »
I also disagree with Brent that driving distance doesn't matter much.  I think it matters a whole lot. 

To more precisely state my point, driving distance differences among Tour players matter very little compared to other things. And if overall average driving distance on Tour were to increase by say 10 yards tomorrow, that isn't enough to make a large difference in scoring.

The driving distance difference between a Tour player and a typical amateur matters a lot, naturally.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2015, 09:32:24 PM »

To more precisely state my point, driving distance differences among Tour players matter very little compared to other things. And if overall average driving distance on Tour were to increase by say 10 yards tomorrow, that isn't enough to make a large difference in scoring.

Brent,

It is because it probably translates to a two club difference in the play of the hole.

Driver 8 iron versus driver 6 iron.

I don't know about you, but, I'll score better hitting 8 iron approaches than I will hitting 6 iron approaches

The driving distance difference between a Tour player and a typical amateur matters a lot, naturally.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2015, 02:09:16 AM »

My main point in citing these stats is to question whether tour players hit the ball further now than they did ten years ago.  If they do, the stats don't show it.  Maybe the courses are a lot harder now, which biases today's numbers downward.  Any evidence of that? 

Every player on tour would take a ten-yard increase off the tee, in a New York minute.  As Pat points out, it greatly shortens the course.  Probably means they could hit 1.5 to 2 clubs less into the greens on par fours and par fives. 

The new strokes gained stats suggest improved driving and iron play are the most important factors on tour for doing better.  As the article in Golf World --"Drive for dough should be new motto" -- said, "Any pro who wants to go up in the rankings, win a major title or make his accountant busier next season should put down the putter, walk to the range and start working on his driving and iron game." 

Jim Sherma

« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2015, 02:59:14 PM »
One thing that struck me this year was not so much the driving distances but the clubs they were using for their second shots. The drives on 13 looked in a similar spot as always but they were certainly not hitting long irons or four woods from there. Also on 15, it was not like they were blowing it down to 170, but were hitting mid irons from the top of the hill instead of a 2-iron or a fairway wood.

BHoover

« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2015, 03:17:49 PM »
One thing that struck me this year was not so much the driving distances but the clubs they were using for their second shots. The drives on 13 looked in a similar spot as always but they were certainly not hitting long irons or four woods from there. Also on 15, it was not like they were blowing it down to 170, but were hitting mid irons from the top of the hill instead of a 2-iron or a fairway wood.

Spieth hit a fairway wood into 15 on Sunday. He hit it over the green, but he still hit a fairway wood. Looked like he hit a long iron into 13 as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back