News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Augusta National is way too easy...
« on: April 10, 2015, 02:17:08 PM »
...or is Jordan Spieth just that good?

He just birdied 15 to go -14 -- well on his way to breaking Tiger's record of -18 (and ahead of Ray Floyd's blazing start in 1976, when he opened 65-66 on his way to matching Jack's Masters' record.)

Some suggest Tiger's -18 prompted the tightening and toughening of Augusta National (although Mickelson's drive on 11 one year also played a role, from stories at the time). Sometimes forgotten during Tiger's romp in 1997 is that the next-best finisher was only -6 (Kite), perhaps proving that Tiger's performance was one for the ages, not necessarily an indication of an easy course. Behind Spieth are guys at -8, -5, and -4 -- not atypical for the Masters in benign weather at this point.

We're not halfway through, of course, but would a tournament total at or lower than -20 prompt another round of changes at America's most famous course?

David_Tepper

Re: Augusta National is way too easy...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 02:29:16 PM »
Right now, he's that good!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 02:31:55 PM »
The "experts" who whined about greens being too firm got what they wished for.  Ramp up the podcast baby, it's time to change the world!!!

Matthew Rose

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 02:58:05 PM »
Must be time to redesign it again, right?
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 03:10:48 PM »
"Must be time to redesign it again, right?"

Matthew R. -

In point of fact, AGNC is acquiring more land that will allow them to lengthen the course even more:

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/4/9/chairman-payne-golf-course-will-expand-across-berckmanns.html

DT

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 03:34:32 PM »
The "experts" who whined about greens being too firm got what they wished for.  Ramp up the podcast baby, it's time to change the world!!!

You just can't help it, can you?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 03:38:49 PM »

I'm even a bit surprised to be proven right so soon.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 03:47:32 PM »

I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it*, and what's *it* seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you...

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 03:50:17 PM »
Just watch tomorrow,moving day.if no thunderstorms tonite, they'll suck all the humidity out, roll em, and have em at 16 on the stimp. Average score on Saturday will be 75!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Paul Gray

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 05:14:08 PM »
The "experts" who whined about greens being too firm got what they wished for.  Ramp up the podcast baby, it's time to change the world!!!

So now you're promoting the firmness seen at Pinehurst last year? This is real progress. Never thought I'd see the day.

In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 06:13:08 PM »
1. He's that good.
2. He can go 67-72 on the weekend and set the record at 269.
3. The SubAir system was running full speed on Wednesday, when I was tramping around the course. You could hear the vent exhausts from 30 feet away. They're about 50-60 feet from the greens where I encountered them. The place was soaked on Monday night. Technology can only help so much.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jim Nugent

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 06:44:18 PM »
Unlike Tiger in 1997, Spieth has not overpowered the course.  Where Tiger hit wedge into #15, Jordan had a 225 yard 2nd shot yesterday.  He is averaging low to mid 280s off the tee.

So how will ANGC toughen up the course this time, if they choose to?  More trees?  Faster greens? 

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 06:48:46 PM »
The "experts" who whined about greens being too firm got what they wished for.  Ramp up the podcast baby, it's time to change the world!!!

So now you're promoting the firmness seen at Pinehurst last year? This is real progress. Never thought I'd see the day.

So some short hitter like Zach Johnson can win at +1 again, right?

Carl Johnson

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 07:27:21 PM »
I'd toughen the course by calling 13 and 15 par 4's.   (Sarcasm, in case you don't get it.)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 09:26:35 AM by Carl Johnson »

John McCarthy

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 07:30:39 PM »
Speith is making all the putts.  And keeping it in the fairways and on the greens.

I love how he gets it done.  You can see his inner dialogue on his face...keep calm...breath...don't freak out...now, what is to be done.  

I love the kid.  And every 18th green he moves his hair to cover up his receding hairline.  Charming, seriously.

Gca wise, what can Augusta do if he is making all the putts?  Add slope and speed on the greens?
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 07:44:10 PM »
Spit out the Kool-Aid people, all they need are firm greens.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 07:46:01 PM »

How true.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 07:47:55 PM »
Hopefully the powers that be will see that the course/the architecture is playing magnificently, just as Jones and MacKenzie would've wanted it. Some of the world's very best golfers, the vast majority of them in fact, playing in perfect scoring conditions, are coming in after 36 holes within 1-2 strokes of even par, one way or the other (plus or minus). And one young man, one amongst 100, playing at his absolute best and playing smart and playing the angles and putting beautifully, is being rewarded with birdies. Perfect.

Peter

noonan

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 07:49:15 PM »

Spot on!

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 08:00:13 PM »
I will say I've never seen the course, including the greens, look so green. There is zero fire to the course right now.
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 08:23:12 PM »
"Must be time to redesign it again, right?"

Matthew R. -

In point of fact, AGNC is acquiring more land that will allow them to lengthen the course even more:

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/4/9/chairman-payne-golf-course-will-expand-across-berckmanns.html

DT

Yeah I saw this.... obviously my post was tongue in cheek, but you'd never put it past the ANGC to do something as heavy handed as moving a ROAD.

I guess they're doing it so they can make #5 500 yards.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Paul Gray

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 08:24:35 PM »
Hopefully the powers that be will see that the course/the architecture is playing magnificently, just as Jones and MacKenzie would've wanted it. Some of the world's very best golfers, the vast majority of them in fact, playing in perfect scoring conditions, are coming in after 36 holes within 1-2 strokes of even par, one way or the other (plus or minus). And one young man, one amongst 100, playing at his absolute best and playing smart and playing the angles and putting beautifully, is being rewarded with birdies. Perfect.

Peter

Quite right.

It never fails to amaze me that a course can be declared too easy when one guy in 7 billion can average seven per round for all of 36 holes. The world number one is just about under par. Let it be.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

BCowan

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2015, 08:29:13 PM »

Jkava is spot on again.  The whole softening the greens started with setting up Phil at Muirfield.  I thought the momentum was swinging back to firm with Pinehurst's great set up!  Tom Watson and Kaymer deserve better. 

Brent Hutto

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2015, 08:31:31 PM »
Kostis or someone helpfully pointed out that the lusher conditions this year were actually providing a bit of cushion under the ball, making chips around the green easier while adding uncertainty if one always defaults to putting through the "fairway cut". Sounds like something Jeff Warne would opine on this forum, to me.

I think we are seeing Augusta National play as easy as it's ever going to play right now. Fairways are running, greens are receptive, lies around the green are not too tight and balls will at least sometimes hold without running far away from the green on a marginal approach shot.

The only thing not at max-easy setting right now is the putting which seems about 2 feet on the Stimpmeter too slow for guys like Tiger to make a lot of putts.

Spieth played a "classic smart" strategy that generally suits Augusta National (a la Nicklaus), he executed very well and he was rewarded by extremely low scores. But the rest of the field scored pretty darned well too.

I doubt the course will be playing max-easy come Sunday afternoon. But Spieth has staked himself such a lead that all he has to do is keep playing "classic smart" golf and he'll win even if his execution falters here or there.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:33:05 PM by Brent Hutto »

Paul Gray

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 08:40:11 PM »

Jkava is spot on again.  The whole softening the greens started with setting up Phil at Muirfield.  I thought the momentum was swinging back to firm with Pinehurst's great set up!  Tom Watson and Kaymer deserve better. 

Pinehurst was never going to open the floodgates alone. It will be a prolonged period of two steps forward and one step back. Golf tends to be more than a little conservative like that.

In the case of Augusta, I do wonder whether this apparent demand for firm is actually a clamour for fast.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back