News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Cancun
« on: October 07, 2014, 12:24:01 PM »
Past threads do not look too promising.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,6408.0.html

Bring the clubs or stay on the beach?

Greg Tallman

Re: Cancun
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 12:33:32 PM »
Nothing overly compelling on that side Jason. Best of the average offerings are Mayakoba El Cameleon (Norman) and Moon Palace (Nicklaus).

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 12:48:38 PM »
Nothing overly compelling on that side Jason. Best of the average offerings are Mayakoba El Cameleon (Norman) and Moon Palace (Nicklaus).

I would prefer to be headed your way but this time I accompanying my daughter's senior spring break trip and the decision-making process is so convoluted that resistance is futile.

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 03:12:47 PM »
Wife was in Cancun for a business retreat a couple of years ago, and I drove down to Mayakoba for a round a couple of years ago and enjoyed myself.  The course shows some variety as the holes that are routed through the mangroves are fairly different from some of the more wide-open holes closer to the clubhouse.  It doesn't hurt that I played pretty well that day and hit a bomb off of the #1 tee that ended up 10 yards short of the cenote (aka cave) in the middle of that fairway, that was fun.  It also helped that my wife was able to go to the spa at the Fairmont hotel in the same development while I played golf.  All of that said, I'm not sure I'd bring your clubs for just 1 round down there.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 03:18:40 PM »
I played the Moon Palace course a couple of times when I was there.  It's a good golf course, probably a 5 or 6 on the Doak Scale.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 08:29:52 AM »
Not only is the golf down there so-so, but my golf bag (encased in a Club Glove travel cover the size of a rolling casket) containiing 14 sticks, two pairs of golf shoes, balls, accessories, sunglasses, 5 days worth of golf-and-resort-wear clothing, etc, never made it out of the Cancun airport and back to ATL. Vanished like DB Cooper, never to be seen again.
Consider yourself warned.

Phil Lipper

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 12:01:20 PM »
The golf club at Playacar was really good the times I played it, its about 30 miles south of Cancun. It was designed by Von Hagge and definetly good. The course in Cancun itself are poor US muni's at best.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 12:09:56 PM »
Not only is the golf down there so-so, but my golf bag (encased in a Club Glove travel cover the size of a rolling casket) containiing 14 sticks, two pairs of golf shoes, balls, accessories, sunglasses, 5 days worth of golf-and-resort-wear clothing, etc, never made it out of the Cancun airport and back to ATL. Vanished like DB Cooper, never to be seen again.
Consider yourself warned.

Think you might want to look at ATL as a potential issue here Joel. I flew into the old international terminal one time from Mexico. Horrid setup to say the least. Baggage claim was a disaster, no clubs to be found. I wander around, refusing to stand in the line to report missing baggage as it was a mile long. I look here and there, ask anyone if there is a special spot for large items like golf clubs... no luck. I keep looking and after about a half hour I find them tucked around a corner underneath various random bags. I ask why they are here and all I got was a shrug. Me thinks someone had a system going in the ATL airport and perhaps your old sticks wound up in some pawn shop in the city.

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 07:14:11 PM »
I played the Iberostar course in the hotel zone today.  The primary advantage of the course is that it is a short cab ride away from my all inclusive.  It is a pretty basic design but in nice condition with a few giant crocodiles and a million signs warning you of the crocodiles.

With a decent wind it was an enjoyable test on a lovely morning.  Since no one is up at 7:30 am in Cancun I had the course to myself and returned in time for breakfast. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 07:47:31 PM »
I played the Iberostar course in the hotel zone today.  The primary advantage of the course is that it is a short cab ride away from my all inclusive.  It is a pretty basic design but in nice condition with a few giant crocodiles and a million signs warning you of the crocodiles.

With a decent wind it was an enjoyable test on a lovely morning.  Since no one is up at 7:30 am in Cancun I had the course to myself and returned in time for breakfast. 

Spring breakers have breakfast around 2. 

Jason Topp

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 08:22:49 PM »

Spring breakers have breakfast around 2. 

Correct!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 10:14:22 PM »
Jason, I am going next month but was not going to bring my clubs.  Is it really worth playing or is it just a nice diversion from the beach?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 07:56:27 AM »
Jason, I am going next month but was not going to bring my clubs.  Is it really worth playing or is it just a nice diversion from the beach?

I debated until the last minute on whether to bring my clubs.  I had really low expectations that it exceeded.  I would say it is worth playing if you think you will have the itch to play.  If you are looking for compelling architecture and this is the course you would play, don't bother.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
I played Playacar and it was exactly what I expected.

I wasn't really expecting much, though.

WW

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 09:32:49 AM »
If you are staying at Mayakoba the Norman course isn't bad at all. Pretty empty and well conditioned with some decent variety. No reason to go out of your way though.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Jason Topp

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 09:42:03 AM »
If you want to have a heart attack, take your daughter and her 18 year-old friends to Senior Frogs and then force them to leave at 2 am. 

Greg Tallman

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 11:03:51 AM »
If you want to have a heart attack, take your daughter and her 18 year-old friends to Senior Frogs and then force them to leave at 2 am. 

Come on dad, Juan Pablo is a great guy and, at 26, very responsible. What trouble could we possibly get into? I mean he was soooooo nice, slipping up jello shots when you were not looking. Loosen up dad!

Jason Topp

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 12:15:06 PM »

Come on dad, Juan Pablo is a great guy and, at 26, very responsible. What trouble could we possibly get into? I mean he was soooooo nice, slipping up jello shots when you were not looking. Loosen up dad!

Until he realized I was standing between him and my daughter and not friendly.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 08:39:11 PM »
I have a photo of my then 19-year old son at Seņor Frog's wearing a giant sombrero and obviously totally wasted.  I'm glad I never did dumb shit like that.  At least not that I can remember!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back