News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

James Bledge moving from Deal to Hoylake
« on: October 22, 2021, 09:54:01 AM »
Saw this tweet on Wednesday. James Bledge is leaving Royal Cinque Ports for a position as Links Manager at Royal Liverpool. From his post:

It has always been a dream of mine to host an Open Championship, and with the Open coming to Hoylake in 2023 it was too great an opportunity to pass by. We have also lived away from home now the majority of our lives, so the chance to live a short drive away is a great draw.

By all accounts, he has done a terrific job at Deal. I've learned a lot from reading his writings and seeing videos he posted. Looking forward to learning more about Hoylake from his perspective. Best of luck to Deal as someone new takes over.

https://twitter.com/JamesBledge/status/1450892429708640261/photo/1

Mark Chaplin

Re: James Bledge moving from Deal to Hoylake
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 11:11:58 AM »
It would be fair to say everyone at Deal is sad to be losing Bledge but delighted he’s got such a prestigious role and will be running an Open Championship within two years.

He is a superstar of the greenkeeping world and his use of social media, drones, YouTube, etc set the standards for communicating with members and the wider golfing community.

I will miss my pal but look forward to seeing him in a suit at the 2023 prize giving.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 11:43:30 AM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 11:13:15 PM »
James is a genius and has truly earned this opportunity. He will take Hoylake to new levels, as he has done at Deal.

So sorry to see him go, but he is leaving Deal in good stead with a foundation that will stand the test of time.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 12:45:42 AM »
A loss for Deal certainly as James had the technical skills, but as Mark notes, was great in his outreach and communication. Between Paul Larsen at RSG next door and James, that little corner of the country was seen as the cradle of greenkeepers.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 05:53:30 PM »
Deal promoted from within and the new Course Manager is Ben Williams. Originally from north Wales Ben joined RCP as a greenkeeper having spent time in Australia and rose through the ranks to Course Manager in his late 20s.
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 03:30:43 AM »
Deal promoted from within and the new Course Manager is Ben Williams. Originally from north Wales Ben joined RCP as a greenkeeper having spent time in Australia and rose through the ranks to Course Manager in his late 20s.

Do you know where he worked down here, Mark?

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 10:01:55 AM »
Between Paul Larsen at RSG next door and James, that little corner of the country was seen as the cradle of greenkeepers.

That's interesting, I'd never heard that before.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back