News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Re: That tree
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2021, 06:28:34 PM »

I like one even if it eye candy. The 18th at Teeth of the Dog had a beauty in the water that is no longer there.

archie_struthers

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2021, 06:49:38 PM »
 8) :D

Stewart , thanks so much for all the great pictures. Really enjoyed them and looking at them some more right now.  ;D

Professor Bausch if possible could you find a good one of the 12th at Woodcrest. Now that's one tree there that needs to stay there. One of my favorite holes in the Delaware Valley.

Happy New Year all!

archie_struthers

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2021, 07:45:16 PM »
 8)

Eric Bergstol built a fun par three at Pine Barrens (Jackson NJ)  that looks a lot like the one at Minesciongo....very interesting!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2021, 07:50:57 PM »
I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the tree on the par three at Morfontaine. I’ll see if I can dig up a picture.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2021, 08:52:22 PM »
I have a recurring dream that I am impeded in my swing from the tee with encroaching tree limbs as well as having them directly in my line. I know this is common but there seems to be a variety of interpretations.

For some, it is not a dream, but a reality. Playing a senior event nearly 20 years ago, I came to a tee that was set at the rear of the box. I could find no position on the tee box where I could not complete my back swing due to overhanging limbs. No one else had a problem since I am typically head and shoulders taller than most people my age.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jeff Schley

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2022, 03:05:33 AM »
Certainly fits the bill. Actually several trees, not just one.
Where?What hole?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Matthew Rose

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2022, 04:30:35 AM »
#12 at Riverside Muni in Janesville, Wisconsin. Grew up playing this. Just 108 yards from the tips. I made my first ever par at age nine on this hole.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

JJShanley

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2022, 04:55:18 AM »
I don't have a photograph of my own, but the 18th at Briarwood in Deerfield, Ill., has a tree short and right of the green. Your choices include taking on a bunker on the left for a clear approach, laying up short of said bunker, or trying to clear the tree with your approach. (I think) I'd read here in advance of my round with Mr. Solow in 2017 that the tree was controversial. Based on a single play I thought that it enhanced the hole.

Rob Nydick

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2022, 10:44:38 AM »
I'm unable to upload a photo of it, but the 18th at Llanerch in Philadelphia has a large tree about 240 yards from the tee on the right side of the fairway.

I was happy to see that recent renovations did not eliminate the tree, instead highlighting it more as the lone hazard in the fairway.  While fairway bunkers on the left side (opposite the tree) were removed to widen the fairway, the tree still drives the strategy of the hole.

The golfer can hit driver down the left side away from the tree, but the creek running parallel to the fairway is brought into play.  Playing away from the absolute trouble of water brings the tree into play.  Should the golfer find themselves blocked by the tree, the option remains to play a low shot under the tree and use ground contours to feed the ball to the hole from the right side of the green.

I enjoy playing this finisher because it provides for thought on the tee box and demands different types of shots depending on where the first ball is hit.

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2022, 10:57:19 AM »
Would that I knew how to (or possessed sufficient seniority) to post a picture or two of trees that matter... but I don't/can't. I'd even appreciate someone telling me how to get that singular golf quote at the bottom of my posts. I have one from Wodehouse and placing it here would be less complicated or painful than getting it tattooed on my arm, which I've also considered.

In the regard of significant trees, allow me to mention the club where I play in my league matches, Kelly Blake Moran's Lederach in Harleysville outside Philadelphia. Two holes, (#8 and #10 in particular) taught me a lot about trees. At #10, a dogleg left, 411-yard hole from the back tees, there is a 60-foot tree resting 80 yards from the green center, directly on a line to 70% of the possible pin positions. It's a fairly wide tree as well so that most players face the issues of "over, draw around the right side, or fade around the left". Further complicating the shot, there's a bunker directly in front. a hazard behind, a grass bunker left and sand to the right... and as if that weren't enough, the green slopes front to back. I respect leaving the tree as genius architecture that makes #10 far more interesting and challenging!

Now let me talk about Lederach #8! It's a short par 4 of just 372 from the tips. The green features a false front and a deep pot bunker, front-left of the green. I don't want to focus on the trees that come into play in the fairway about 170 out from the tee on the right, though I will say they are there... they knock down a lot of balls... and they force play from the tee to the right and over a centrally placed bunker that (if entered) resets the expected score on the hole to 5. It's all of 265 to carry that middle bunker from the tee. No... the tree that I want to mention was a tall oak that stood almost pin high on the left of the green. Lightning took the tree out maybe 3-4 years ago, changing the 8th hole from a par 4.2 to a par 3.8. That tree took out any approach from the left, even if one might have been lucky enough to find that part of the fairway trees, which were "90% air". It also dumped many an approach into the aforementioned pot bunker. I can't say that I miss the greenside tree... but I understand.

Best piece of hitting through trees after accepting that they are in fact 90% air came from a Scottish caddy, who opined, "Aye sir, they are 90% air but then so's a screen door." Following his guidance, I put the 5-iron back in the bag and made "fairway" my target rather than "green".

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2022, 11:01:23 AM »
I'm unable to upload a photo of it, but the 18th at Llanerch in Philadelphia has a large tree about 240 yards from the tee on the right side of the fairway.

I was happy to see that recent renovations did not eliminate the tree, instead highlighting it more as the lone hazard in the fairway.  While fairway bunkers on the left side (opposite the tree) were removed to widen the fairway, the tree still drives the strategy of the hole.

The golfer can hit driver down the left side away from the tree, but the creek running parallel to the fairway is brought into play.  Playing away from the absolute trouble of water brings the tree into play.  Should the golfer find themselves blocked by the tree, the option remains to play a low shot under the tree and use ground contours to feed the ball to the hole from the right side of the green.

I enjoy playing this finisher because it provides for thought on the tee box and demands different types of shots depending on where the first ball is hit.

Rob!

What a great hole! Everything you say about the tree is absolutely true. The most intimidating shot on Llanerch 18 always used to be from the front bunker, looking directly at the large window into the grille. Love everything about Llanerch!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2022, 11:55:27 AM »
Would that I knew how to (or possessed sufficient seniority) to post a picture or two of trees that matter... but I don't/can't. I'd even appreciate someone telling me how to get that singular golf quote at the bottom of my posts. I have one from Wodehouse and placing it here would be less complicated or painful than getting it tattooed on my arm, which I've also considered.

Mark, click on your name in the top right-hand corner. Then click on profile. Then click on modify profile and then forum profile. You can then add your little quote.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2022, 12:01:51 PM »
How about the reaction when "that tree" is removed.  At my current club we had a big tree on the right side of the fairway of a dogleg left with OB left so you had to play over the corner of the dogleg in order to get your tee shot into the fairway in a good position.  The tree mostly affected the lesser golfer who had a hard time over the hill on the corner of the dogleg.  The tree was dying so they took it out and the entire hole opened up and looks great.  I asked my friend whose house is on the right side when you hit your tee shot if he is now getting balls in his yard and he told me he isn't but the guy who lives on the left side of the dogleg is thrilled that he isn't being pummeled by balls off the tee.

The question I would like to pose is if anyone can point to any of the "the trees" which came down and were replaced - I believe that happened at 18 at Pebble.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2022, 12:17:40 PM »
I'd be curious if anyone thinks the Eisenhower tree on 17 should be replaced?  Certainly the Green Coats could do it...

Phil Burr

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2022, 01:23:41 PM »

This is the view from the 12th tee at Bing Maloney, a Sacramento muni.  It's a 450-yard par four dogleg left that 's only reachable in regulation with a tee shot played left of the giant cottonwood.  What you can't see is that the entire left side of the hole is OB.  I've seen countless shots hit the big tree and carom over the fence.  It's one the more daunting tee shots I'm familiar with.

Bing Maloney : Great golf course for beginners, experienced alike

Colin Christman

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2022, 12:56:58 PM »
How about the reaction when "that tree" is removed.  At my current club we had a big tree on the right side of the fairway of a dogleg left with OB left so you had to play over the corner of the dogleg in order to get your tee shot into the fairway in a good position.  The tree mostly affected the lesser golfer who had a hard time over the hill on the corner of the dogleg.  The tree was dying so they took it out and the entire hole opened up and looks great.  I asked my friend whose house is on the right side when you hit your tee shot if he is now getting balls in his yard and he told me he isn't but the guy who lives on the left side of the dogleg is thrilled that he isn't being pummeled by balls off the tee.

The question I would like to pose is if anyone can point to any of the "the trees" which came down and were replaced - I believe that happened at 18 at Pebble.

I believe the tree on the 3rd at the Ocean Course is an imposter tree and no longer the Rory tree.
I'd be curious if anyone thinks the Eisenhower tree on 17 should be replaced?  Certainly the Green Coats could do it...

I would be in favor. 17 has always felt to me like a lesser hole than its fellows in terms of character and distinctness, particularly among the back nine.

David Ober

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2022, 12:36:05 PM »
Glendora has a hole on the back. 14? 15? Horrible tree on a short par 4.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2022, 02:26:34 PM »
Aldarra #8 (photo from club website) .... pretty spectacular view from the tee

https://www.aldarragolfclub.com/images/dynamic/getImage.gif?ID=3223446
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 02:28:13 PM by Bernie Bell »

JJShanley

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2022, 03:46:06 PM »
That photo of Aldarra reminds me of the 9th at Forest Highlands (Canyon), which has a tree about 200 yards from the back tee, just right of center on the (50 yard) fairway. It's one of four holes I played at FH before the second wave of a summer storm ended the day in July 2014.

It would appear that if you want to go left you'll leave yourself an approach where you don't see much of the green, with water short and right. Given the altitude in Flagstaff I suppose you could expect to fly the tree if you play the appropriate tees. I suppose that's quite a thrill.

Paul Jones

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2022, 03:49:02 PM »
Pine Tree in Florida - logo is guy looking around the tree, do not remember which hole has the tree in the middle.

My home club Oakbourne (also a Dick Wilson) has a Cedar Tree in the middle of the 13th fairway (Par 5).
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

John McCarthy

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2022, 11:10:04 PM »
Ridgemoor 16 outside Chicago has a giant tree in the middle of the fairway.   Looks scary as hell but not really in play.  It is a good hole. 

An hour outside Chicago is Blackstone 3 with one of the stupidest trees in the fairway I ever saw. 

The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Colin Christman

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2022, 11:56:17 PM »
Glendora has a hole on the back. 14? 15? Horrible tree on a short par 4.

12, I think. It's an odd choice for sure.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back