News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Goodwood DOWNS COURSE
« on: November 23, 2016, 05:37:44 AM »
What is the story with this course?  I haven't heard much about the Mackenzie redo.  Any good?  What are the primary features of the course?  I am intrigued.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Adam Lawrence

Re: Goodwood DOWNS COURSE
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 05:50:15 AM »
It was Braid originally, and was extensively redone about a decade ago by Swan. Not sure exactly what has prompted them to get M&E in now; obviously they are local.

Three holes in the park; the rest across the road on the chalk down. Holes 3-6 are in a nice valley, then you cross over the fifth and the seventh is a fairly severely uphill tee shot that takes you out onto the open down.

It's quite nice, without being truly outstanding. I remember playing it in the very hot summer of 2007, with the native rough very high. I was playing with Nick Bayly of Golf News, and we put quite a lot of balls in the hay. Tramping out of the rough towards the end of the round after another fruitless search, Nick said to me: "You know, I've never been so grateful as I am now that I have a hundred dozen free golf balls back at the office."

The club pioneered the 'points membership' scheme, so you can join for very little, though it will obviously cost you more if you play regularly. Not that it will matter to you, but they have these stupid half-timbered 'Woody' golf carts that are done up to look like Morris Minor Travellers. I heard recently that someone connected with the new JCB course thought they were great; I hope to God someone else puts their foot down on that...
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 06:03:51 AM »
Wasn't me.
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 10:59:23 AM »
I remember the whole course feeling very uphill.

Hot summers day also in 2007 didn't help but the walk up to the high point at 5 green was a long one indeed.

Some nice holes.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 11:33:52 AM »
19 photos of the course here:

https://www.goodwood.com/estate/golf-courses/the-downs-course/

Not especially good video tour of the course here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD2X69jZM7c
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:36:41 AM by David_Tepper »

Tom Kelly

Re: Goodwood DOWNS COURSE New
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 01:28:35 PM »
The photos on the website are pretty good to show you the general style of the new bunkering. I may have some more photos around to cobble together a course tour at some point but unfortunately I haven't really got time right now.

In general imo it is a nice chalk downland course, with great views, some nice holes but held back bit by it's routing or lack of space in a few areas. Though I might be slightly biased I like the work Tom Mackenzie has done with the bunkers and a few other areas that were re-shaped.

The Howard Swan work done about 10 years ago I think was done with the intention as far as I am aware of removing the need to cross the busy road that runs through the course to reach the first tee. I don't know whether Braid had to deal with the road or whether the routing pre-Swan was all Braid's original routing. The only hole clubhouse side of the road before was the 18th. Now the 1st, 17th and 18th are clubhouse side. This has resulted in a few awkward holes imo, the 2nd in particular though I don't really know other than looking at Google Earth how the old holes played before.

The new work was pushed as the old bunkering was done with a larger green staff 'pre-recession' budget in mind and was quite bold. After losing some staff some of the bunker areas were grassed over/down faces to ease maintenance and budget leaving most of the sandlines not visible. The new bunkers are far more visually pleasing and have a smaller sand footprint.

The course plays along a valley before rising up to a downland plateau housing most of the course before heading back down and across the road to finish on two more parkland style (but still firm chalk) holes to reach the very nice clubhouse which was the former estate kennels...you can tell what they think of golfers.

I'd add that the course is looking in better condition now than it was 2 years ago when the work was started thanks the to the work of the greenstaff, a new head greenkeeper just started as the work commenced. It is great for a winter round as it drains so well.

On the topic of the buggies, I'm not a fan of buggies at the best of times but if you are going to have them I don't see any problem with having a bit of fun with them. They seem to be hugely popular there and with the whole ethos of the Goodwood estate I think they fit in as best as golf buggies could. They do love their retro image and hickory competitions and games are bit of a tradition from what I've heard which should go down well on this board.

One thing, the course is only open to member's and guests (and maybe societies?!) as far as I am aware. The other course 'The Park', is open to the public as well as members.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 01:45:02 PM by Tom Kelly »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back