News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stewart Naugler

Re: Feature Interview Part I with Tom Paul is posted
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2012, 05:35:52 PM »
12 years ago as a freshman in high school I became hooked to this site because of Tom's post.

He'll be back... We need him.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2012, 09:18:48 PM »

Ran, this photo is from Joe B's recent thread.

Is this move by Bubba okay by you?

;)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2012, 09:26:25 PM »
TEPaul,

With all the experiences you've had in your life, I find it fascinating that you also served in The USMC.  It would be great to hear a tale about it in Part Two.  

Mike Hendren

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2012, 09:50:17 AM »

Deleted
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:05:06 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

George Pazin

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2012, 11:20:04 AM »
Josh, there is a difference between going to the caddy (which is very common) and going to a family member who had no involvement in the contest.

You are right, but the fault lies with the family member being sent out, or deciding on her own to head out. How many would have the presence of mind to stop a family member and turn to his fellow competitor?

I'll bet Ran's parents didn't go running out when he received his great honor. :)

-----

I read the interview, and it's as terrific as I would expect. I'd love to learn more about Ardrossan.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Shimony

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2012, 02:27:27 PM »
I remember clearly two lessons concerning manners between men and women my blessed mother shared with me when I was a boy.  One time we were entering a department store, my mother walking in front of me.  She stopped at the door and stood looking at the handle.  I stood behind her and waited.  She turned around and calmly said, "John, the door is not going to open itself.  You are always to open a door for a lady."  I try to follow that rule to this day.  The second lesson occured when she was walking me to school.  As we turned the corner to the main avenue she stepped to the outside of the sidewalk and told me that when I get older I am to walk on the street side of the curb as long as I'm walking with a woman or a minor.  Come to think of it she also told me that a man is to always walk stairs as to be able to catch a falling woman.  My mother is living with alzheimers now but she still comes out with a gem now and then.  Recently she told me that ladies do not sit at bars, but at tables while at a drinking establishment.  My wife begs to differ.
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Mac Plumart

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2012, 07:27:59 PM »
I'd love to learn more about Ardrossan.

Me too!!!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Matt Ingraham

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2012, 09:03:17 AM »
Great interview.  I am looking forward to the second part.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2012, 01:37:08 PM »
Ran - Thanks for this feature interview.

Tom P. - Thanks for your very in-depth response. I had no idea GMCC was that close to extinction. What a loss that would have been to us interested in GCA.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

TEPaul

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2012, 07:03:30 PM »
On April 13th Patrick Mucci asked the following questions about the Ardrossan project:

“I found the deal breaking incident with GMCC and Scott very interesting.
Imagine if you will, instead of declaring the hole inviolate, if TE had said, let me work on that and get back to you, left the meeting and presented the problem to C&C. How different might golf and golf architecture been in the Philly area?

My curiosity is, what did the Scott family want with an established golf facility?
Development?
What were the two parcels zoned for?”

Patrick:

At the time of the Ardrossan Farm project, the zoning at Ardrossan included a golf course use. Before our project the family had marketed and sold (unlisted) on their own perhaps 150 acres of the farm on the opposite side of Newtown Street Rd (which divided the farm) in ten acre lots that kept the land looking quite open and as it had been for a century. That left them about 350 remaining acres that we were dealing with some part of. The family member who did that was the same one (Edgar (Eddie) Scott) I dealt with on the GMGC/Ardrossan project. He marketed those ten acre lots (I think the minimum residential use zoning of that part of Radnor Township, Delaware County at that time was two acres) in a very unusual way. The ten acre lots were offered unlisted for $1 million dollars each with the stipulation that there would be no negotiation on price. At the time, we in real estate thought that was insane but he sold them all quickly and without effort.
   Apparently it was Eddie Scott’s idea to approach Gulph Mills Golf Club and offer to do a swap of Ardrossan land for Gulph Mills Golf Club’s land. The offer made to us was a straight land swap (no financial outlay on either side) which is sometimes called a “like-kind” swap. On its face the idea was quite brilliant for the Montgomery Scott family and their beloved Ardrossan Farm. It would have allowed them to essentially sell GMGC’s land into commercial development while keeping the look of their farm more open with a golf course rather than some minimum acre zoning multi-lot development on their land. In that way they could’ve maximized the value of their land without ruining the look of it.
   And why did the Montgomery Scott family approach GMGC? One of the reasons I was told is they felt GMGC on their Ardrossan Farm was ideal because they knew most of the club’s members anyway. During those two or three years I was told they would not consider offering any other golf club the same deal because they did not really know them. Again, this is another example of that small and intertwined world that’s been mentioned in both parts of this interview.
   Ardrossan was one of the 4-5 great estates (500 acres or more) left in the Philadelphia suburban area in recent years. The others included the Dupont estate in Newtown Square (John Dupont who shot the wrestler), Erdenheim Farm next to Whitemarsh Valley GC that belonged to Fitzhugh Dixon, Almira and Hardy Scott’s Kirkwood Farm that is next to me. Those estates were not ordinary farms, they were more in the style and type of those famous English manor estates or parks. I think the over-all landscape plan done on Ardrossan over a century ago was by the famous Olmsted Bros of Boston that did a number of landscape and land development plans on some of the most significant golf clubs in America (ex. Fishers Island GC, Mountain Lake GC or even Cypress Point, although some with good knowledge believe the latter was actually a different Olmsted).
   However, if we had gotten approval from the Montgomery Scott family and the directors of GMGC at that meeting in the mansion at Ardrossan that I explained in Part One, there was still a long way to go before the project would’ve come to fruition. And yes, what I did that night by refusing to give up that one hole definitely was the kind of mistake a novice such as me at that time was more prone to make. I could’ve asked Robert Montgomery Scott (the apparent patriarch of the family at the time) myself why he objected to that hole before I refused to give it up but I didn’t even do that. If we had gotten agreement that night, though, it was basically my routing that approval would have been given to, although Bill did say if there were some problems that came up with it they could probably be fixed. The Ardrossan routing on a 1” by 200’ topo map still sits above me on two rafters.
                  Some have asked to see it but I feel it cannot really be fully appreciated without taking it out on the land itself as I once did years ago with Ran Morrissett. Frankly I’d forgotten about that until he reminded me of it recently. And further to that I should say that I cannot now remember exactly why it was Ran came to my farm all those years ago but I do remember when I mentioned to him I was originally from Long Island and Piping Rock which was the traditional friendly rival of The Creek Club, he immediately picked up the phone and called George Holland, the primary historian of The Creek Club. From that George Holland has become a truly wonderful friend and a man I collaborate with all the time on many things to do with research on the history of golf course architecture. From that I even came to collaborate at The Creek Club on their restoration with Gil Hanse (who lives only five miles from me and who I have known from the beginning of my interest in golf architecture).
   The landform of that great hole I refused to give up still sits there just the way it was back then!! It was absolutely huge with the first half taking in fairway about 150 yards wide and with the second half on a slight diagonal taking in almost 250 yards in width (and somewhat melding into the next hole that was directed about 90 degrees perpendicular) with a green on a  narrowish diagonal ridge on the far left. When I mentioned this hole to Bill he said it was so big it would be hard to focus the golfer’s eye on where to hit the ball. I said; “Why do we need to focus the golfer’s eye, why can’t he just look around and figure that out for himself?” After thinking about that a while Bill just looked at me and said nothing----which---from my experiences with him is often his way of expressing approval or confirmation.
   I feel that anyone with half an eye for architecture could not help but recognize just by looking at that landform how great that hole could’ve been and virtually without doing anything to it shaping-wise! If we had to build a two-walled "HaHa" in the middle of it so that Mr. Scott's cattle could get from their barn to where they grazed thereby solving his problem and objection, I feel that probably would have served to make the hole even more interesting and unique.
       Wouldn't it be nice to be able to go back and reconsider and redo the mistakes we've made in our lives we did not know how to solve or resolve at the time? Unfortunately, that's just not the way life works.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:24:35 PM by TEPaul »

Phil McDade

« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2012, 07:11:20 PM »
Welcome back, Tom. Good to see you on the board again. Best wishes.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2012, 07:14:54 PM »
 Welcome HOME, Tom  ;D.

Best wishes,

Bart

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

OT (Ardrossan) - Feature Interview Part I with Tom Paul is posted
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2015, 09:10:19 PM »
As fate would have it, a man outside of Philadelphia named Tom Paul became hooked on golf course architecture around the very time that GolfClubAtlas.com went live from Australia. Our two paths have been intertwined ever since with one famous result being the creation of the most epic poster in the history of posting. No matter where a golf trip took me, the two most asked questions were 1) What can you tell me about Tom Paul? and 2) Is Pat Mucci really that big of a XXX? 8)

Though we all know the answer to question 2 ;), the answer to question 1 has not received its proper due until now. True for most people of his generation, Tom took up the study of golf course architecture at a relatively late age. Prior to that, he was a very active amateur, playing in as many as 40 events per year, either in the northeast or Florida depending on the season. At his playing best, he cared little for golf course architecture, focusing entirely on the swing mechanics and maintaining a deft short game. However, his interests began to change for good when he became involved in working out a land swap arrangement between Gulph Mills GC (which his family had helped found) and several hundred acres known as Ardrossan Farm with the Montgomery Scott family. Tom’s attempt to help orchestrate the move of a long established private club is a little bit like Don Quixote jousting at wind mills – and equally as noble as he was but a ‘HaHa’ away from actually pulling it off! I saw the plans that Bill Coore and he developed for Ardrossan Farms when I went on tour of the property with Tom nearly a decade ago. Hard to call something that never happened a loss but if something could qualify as such, Ardrossan Farms is it as it would have been a very special design.

Though Gulph Mills stayed put and the hopes for a course over the rolling terrain at Ardrossan Farms collapsed  :'( , Tom was forever hooked on golf course architecture. He played less and less and studied architecture more and more. As an example, in November 2002, he hit it to ten feet on the first and second holes at Garden City GC playing with our host Pat Mucci and me – and then picked up! :o He just wanted to walk and study the architecture, unencumbered by the need to play on his first visit to GCGC. The look on Tom’s caddie’s face was priceless as he feared he had done something to upset him. Indeed, the caddie wasn’t sure as to proper protocol – carry the bag for sixteen more holes for someone who wasn’t playing or prop it up against the tree behind the 2nd green and grab it while playing 18?

No surprise :D but Tom’s Feature Interview is voluminous in nature with the old adage of ‘It takes me a thousand words just to clear my throat’ happily being applicable. Thus, we are presenting it in two parts. Part Two is architecture centric and will be posted later this month. Based on how the we arranged the questions, Part One is only four questions and alternates between parts Wodehouse and Waugh. Sloughs who like to play with their shirts untucked and a baseball cap on backwards will probably roll their eyes at the last question ‘Is golf still a game for gentlemen?’ However, if you are the sort that instinctively removes your cap when you walk under the covered porch at Merion, you’ll appreciate the subject matter and Tom’s historical take on the evolution of the landed gentry such as below:

“I feel the ideal of a gentleman, or at least the concept of the “ideal gentleman” emanated from another concept known as “Noblesse Oblige” which is probably even less understood today. It revolved around the philosophy that if you were one from that “fortunate class” you had a moral responsibility to help mankind in some way or at least to treat all mankind with a certain degree of equanimity and fair-mindedness. I’ve always been fascinated by etymology and my (“English”) English teacher at St. Mark’s School was of the opinion that one of the etymologies of the word “snob” was an acronym that derived from the application process into clubs at “Public” schools in the UK (which were ironically the most private of schools). When those little boys of those schools selected applicants or candidates into their school’s social clubs, it was expected that the applicants practice the manners and philosophy of “Noblesse Oblige” (equanimity and fair-mindedness towards all) and if they did not they would be blackballed with the designation SNOB next to their name which was an acronym for “Sine Nobilis,” the English translation being—-without nobility.

The ethos of the world of my great, great grandparents, great grandparents, grandparents and parents, and in the vestigial world of that ethos I grew up in, a gentleman was still considered to be someone who treated all Mankind equally whether they were a president or a pauper, a cobbler or a king, a lord or a servant. However, in my own generation I did notice that ethos had definitely become diluted and the representatives of it had become increasingly defensive and frankly for more snobbish than their ancestors. My take on that evolution, or devolution, was that, compared to their ancestors, they had simply become increasingly insecure about who they were and what others thought of them.”

The very subject of golf as a finishing school for gentlemen fascinates me as without golf, men would have far too much time on their hands. Given that evil lurks everywhere, it wouldn’t be long before the very fabric of our society unwound! Standing between us and certain destruction is golf. A bit dramatic perhaps ... or is it?!

Since Tom offers such a unique social perspective, we would be remiss not to seize on the opportunity to discuss some of the fundamentals that ultimately shape both the sport and society. Few people could weave as effortlessly folks as disparate as the polo player Tommy Hitchcock, Ralph Lifschitz of other Polo fame, William Wilberforce, Disraeli, Tony Duke, and Tom’s grandfather’s partner J.P. Morgan into their answers as Tom has done. In the process, Tom reminds us that the original founders of the vast majority of great clubs did so to provide a place for like minded people to gather and have fun, NOT to make a quick buck.

By circumstances of birth, Tom is in the enviable position of having free time to do as he pleases. He contrasts sharply to those of us who have elected to go down the path of being independently poor  :-[ , courtesy of 100+ too many lavish golf trips. Importantly, he elected to give freely of his time to various amateur golf organizations including the GAP and the USGA. Many an impromptu gathering has been held at his barn in regards to golf course architecture with the Gil Hanse gathering memorialized on You-Tube on the GolfClubAtlas Facebook page. Along with the Emperor in California, the discussion of golf course architecture is as near and dear to this man’s heart as any person in the world. His two part Feature Interview combines a heart-felt take on society’s values and how they ultimately shape the golf playgrounds coupled with an intense knowledge of architecture.

Tom and I have spent countless hours on the phone, the conversations of which helped shape the nature of Part One. Hope you enjoy Tom’s singular take as much as I always do and stay tuned Part Two where the full breadth of his knowledge and historical interest in golf course architecture compressed into the past ~ thirteen years will be on display.

Cheers,

Pulled this up from the archives because on another one of my favorite websites - Big Old Houses -  I came across the current blog update about this grand Main Line estate.

http://bigoldhouses.blogspot.com/

Thought you'd all enjoy a little more insight into the property TEPaul was referring to in these posts.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

OT (Ardrossan) Feature Interview Part I with Tom Paul is posted
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2015, 11:35:10 PM »
+

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back