News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

The Uphill Pond...
« on: May 03, 2015, 09:15:33 PM »
The Uphill Pond is often seen on the golf course but do they exist in nature?  In every type of environment or just particular ones?  Is there any concept that feels more artificial on the course and does anyone know any examples that work well for golf?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 09:17:41 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mark McKeever

Re: The Uphill Pond...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 08:58:23 AM »
I've never seen it pulled off well.

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 09:06:20 AM »
I've rarely seen one that didn't look terrible. Last week, at Zuid Limburgse in the Netherlands, I saw one that didn't look horrifically out of place. I suspect that's the best you can hope for.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 04:27:52 PM »
I do not think it needs to look natural just not out of place. The best examples I have seen have been a dam style though I am struggling to think of any that look good. Maybe the one by the 13th tee at Castle Stuart is the best I have seen ;)

Jon

Ken Moum

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 12:15:38 AM »
The Uphill Pond is often seen on the golf course but do they exist in nature?  In every type of environment or just particular ones?  Is there any concept that feels more artificial on the course and does anyone know any examples that work well for golf?

The only one I recall seeing in person is on the public course at Alvamar in Lawrence, Kansas.  It's right in front of the green on a par five and it's not visible from the fairway.

I've always thought looked completely contrived and seems dumb as hell to me.  The shot is mostly blind anyway.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back