News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Benjamin Litman

Re: May River Golf Club (Review and Photo Tour)
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 01:55:28 PM »
Indeed he did, Joel. I read Ran's review many times before my round--which might explain why I was initially taken back by the winter conditions I encountered.
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 02:23:19 PM »
Ran wrote a similar glowing reviewing in 2007.

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/may-river-golf-club/

Those pictures make we want to visit.  Interesting that Ran uses 40 pics in his review while Ben uses 50.  The composition of Ran's pictures are something anyone with a camera should learn from for all our benefit.  Thanks for posting the link.

John_Cullum

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 03:22:59 PM »
In over a century of writing manuals, I don't believe the DOD has come up with as many acronyms as I have encountered in this thread.
Raynor was a hack

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 05:29:53 PM »

Those pictures make we want to visit.  Interesting that Ran uses 40 pics in his review while Ben uses 50.  The composition of Ran's pictures are something anyone with a camera should learn from for all our benefit.  Thanks for posting the link.

Is it the green turf?  Rams review looks like late summer or early fall. People like green.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 05:36:28 PM »

Is it the green turf?  Rams review looks like late summer or early fall. People like green.

Sure, or maybe it is 50 pictures in a row that all look alike. Did you look at the angles of Ran's pics with accompanying descriptions between. I'm sure it's just the green though cause that is the kind of guy I am. Thanks.

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 05:38:48 PM »
John: See my PM, which addresses these issues. One other point to add: Most of the holes at May River DO look alike, which is part of its intimacy and charm.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:40:22 PM by Benjamin Litman »
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 05:41:47 PM »
John: See my PM, which addresses these issues.

I have thanks. Anthony was just digging me as I deserve. People who like green are identified as idiots. It was subtle funny old school ball busting. No harm.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 06:14:15 PM »

I have thanks. Anthony was just digging me as I deserve. People who like green are identified as idiots. It was subtle funny old school ball busting. No harm.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 07:01:30 PM »
JWL: Thanks for revealing you do have intimate knowledge of both designs. I have never played Sebonic but the green platforms do not seem typical Nicklaus but then there is the course in Michigan he did ( Harbor Bay? i think) which has hosted several senior events which exhibit this more complex movement.

Ben I couldn't disagree more that many of the holes look the same. They may have some similar looking margins but every hole is different from the last. I played there early Feb and the Paspalum grass and/or rye or whatever they have down has obviously suffered mightily and is disappointing and looks and plays at its worst right now.

Since I am a member allow me the liberty to mention that the SC golfraters panel that Mike Whittaker organizes has vaulted this course into second place in their overall ranking this year. I'm just sayin.

"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 07:56:35 PM »

Not a jab at all. Just a comment and/opinion on the average, American golfer. Most golfers like green.

I thought both sets are pics are done very well. Also shows how the course has matured over the last 8 years.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2015, 12:14:20 AM »
Ben I couldn't disagree more that many of the holes look the same. They may have some similar looking margins but every hole is different from the last. I played there early Feb and the Paspalum grass and/or rye or whatever they have down has obviously suffered mightily and is disappointing and looks and plays at its worst right now.

Since I am a member allow me the liberty to mention that the SC golfraters panel that Mike Whittaker organizes has vaulted this course into second place in their overall ranking this year. I'm just sayin.

Ward: I fully agree with you that each hole is different. I was simply responding to John's comments about the pictures looking alike; because I took many from a wide vantage, the similar-looking margins--especially the trees and tree lines on tee shots--appear often. Even though every hole is different, I still think that one of May River's greatest attributes is how consistent the feel/vibe/look is from hole to hole. That's what makes the walk so pleasurable and peaceful, at least to me. I experienced the same condition as you (I was there at the end of February), and, as noted in my review, while initially taken aback, I came to really appreciate the playing qualities of the turf and just fell in love with the aura of the place. (That is, the course may look its worst now, but, per my caddie who plays there all the time, it plays its best.) So no need to convince me of May River's stature; indeed, I spoke with Mike before heading down there, and did tons of course research, especially here on GCA, and came away with a very, very positive feeling about the course. If I can swing it, I'll be back one day in the near future. I can only imagine how much of a treat being a member there must be for you. A truly special place.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2015, 10:27:24 AM »
Ben

Please give me a poke and I'll see you get an accompanied rate.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back