News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Bartman

Re: Is anyone else shocked by the
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 05:22:34 PM »
Narrowness and winding nature of the 18th fairway at Riviera ?

What's the purpose of a winding fairway on a blind tee shot ?

I'd be curious to hear what members have to say about how the fairways play from the tee.

Will the course retain those fairway configurations ?

If the fairways were mowed as intended, would it matter if 12 or 18 under won ?

I think it was mainly due to light winter and the ability to get the kikuyu grass to grow during a time when it is usually dormant

This sends the worst possible message to Green Committees and Boards

I thought it was just me.
The whole course looks very defined
ick

and yes 18 fairway looks stupid

Has the drought eased in Southern Cal? Riviera has always had nice texture, but this year is very uniform green.
I understand that could simply be recent rain, though the greens seem quite firm.
I also realize it was raining today-didn't get to see today

Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Søren Rye

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 05:28:05 PM »
I was thinking along the same lines. I can't think of many classic courses that have hosted U.S. championships while still retaining as much of their original/traditional qualities and essence as Riviera does.

Peter

Oakmont?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 07:57:09 PM »
I was thinking along the same lines. I can't think of many classic courses that have hosted U.S. championships while still retaining as much of their original/traditional qualities and essence as Riviera does.

Peter

Oakmont?

Oakmont, Pebble, Shinnecock Hills, Olympic, Southern Hills, Winged Foot, all the classics can stand on their architecture.  It's when you get into the moderns that tweaking is required.   

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 09:04:31 PM »

Oakmont?

Oakmont, Pebble, Shinnecock Hills, Olympic, Southern Hills, Winged Foot, all the classics can stand on their architecture. 

Bill, Oakmont was altered, far beyond "tweaking" in order to prepare it for Opens.

It's when you get into the moderns that tweaking is required.   

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 11:38:32 PM »

Oakmont?

Oakmont, Pebble, Shinnecock Hills, Olympic, Southern Hills, Winged Foot, all the classics can stand on their architecture. 

Bill, Oakmont was altered, far beyond "tweaking" in order to prepare it for Opens.

It's when you get into the moderns that tweaking is required.   

Please be specific about how Oakmont was "altered," I don't believe that's the case unless you mean the fairways were narrowed to 25 yards.   That place is pretty much always Open ready.  The members prefer it that way.   

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 05:41:13 PM »
Bill,

Almost every fairway bunker was moved inward, further narrowing the DZ's

In addition, I believe that the bunkers were deepened with some having the fronting berm elevated.

"SOME" members may prefer it that way.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 06:56:12 PM »
Bill,

In addition, I believe that the bunkers were deepened with some having the fronting berm elevated.

When did that take place?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 09:20:09 PM »
Bill,

When did that take place?

When Mark Kuhns was the Superintendent, probably around 2002

William_G

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 09:23:14 PM »
I thought Ran asked everyone to not use truncated thread titles?

WTF   ;)
It's all about the golf!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2015, 04:19:39 PM »
I thought Ran asked everyone to not use truncated thread titles?

WTF   ;)

William G,

I thought that as well, then I saw a thread titled: "The Death Spiral" and I didn't see that you, Michael Whitaker or Mathew Mollica objected to the title of that thread so I thought that the time limit on Ran's request had expired.

Why is is that none of you objected to the thread title in the thread entitled:  "The Death Spiral" ?

Or did you think you had accessed a "Star Wars" website with a typo for "The Death Star" ?

Get a lilfe !  ;D

Or

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back