News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rees Milikin

Re: DIXIE CUP 2015
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2015, 06:13:08 PM »
Well... we dodged a LOT of rain, but we're able to get in some golf every day and see all the courses! I think it is fair to say that each course lived up to it's billing. Black Creek, Sweetens Cove and Lookout Mountain are all exceptional and everything they are promoted to be. For me personally, the more Seth Raynor courses I see the more I am enamored with his work. Like Yale, the Lookout Mountain course is an engineering marvel that presents outstanding golf of a fashion that could be enjoyed every day. The walk is not easy (it's on top of a mountain!), but it doesn't take away from one's enjoyment of playing the course as is the case on some mountain courses.

The highlight of the event had to be Saturday night's presentation by Doug Stein. What a fabulous look into the history of Lookout Mountain!!! Doug has a special love for his club, Raynor and golf in general. Every club should have someone so committed to their success! I know many of our participants will want to comment on Doug's talk, so I will only say he was absolutely captivating and we were so lucky to have him address our group.

Doug Stein speaking to the Dixie Cup

A massive thank you needs to go out to Eric Strulowitz who single handedly planned and organized this year's Dixie Cup. Great job!!!

And, thanks to Evan Fleicher for once again captaining the North team and leading them to victory.

Finally, the Dixie Cup is always about reconnecting with old friends and making new ones. Attending these get togethers reinforces why GCA.com has transformed most of our lives. If you ever get frustrated with the dialogue on GCA.com and wonder why you bother, pack your clubs and attend one of our events. It will change your life forever.

For those who attended the Dixie Cup... I look forward to seeing your photos and discussing the courses. We were very lucky, weren't we?  ;D

Thanks for the update and we are indeed lucky to have someone like Doug Stein be a member.  Both he and the late King Oehmig are responsible for spearheading the efforts to restore Lookout to its original intent.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2015, 08:02:23 PM »
In another generation perhaps the ultimate vision of SR will be realized at LM.  ...

Another thread needs to be started that can discuss, review & document the courses that SR spent the most time.  Chattanooga must have been hard to get to in the early 20's ... and then to get up the mountain!  Doug stated he thinks SR never got to site.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Rees Milikin

« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2015, 08:30:43 PM »
In another generation perhaps the ultimate vision of SR will be realized at LM.  ...

Another thread needs to be started that can discuss, review & document the courses that SR spent the most time.  Chattanooga must have been hard to get to in the early 20's ... and then to get up the mountain!  Doug stated he thinks SR never got to site.

I am trying to build interest with the guys my age, but it's something that will take a decent amount of time.  It is hard to make them realize the passion and work that Doug and King put into getting Lookout where it is today.

Thanks for sharing that but of information about Doug's SR theory, I had never heard him mention that before.

Chris Mavros

« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2015, 09:05:40 PM »
Here are a few photos I took from the weekend. 

Edit: trying to figure out how to get them to show; they show on my computer for some reason so will keep at it.

SR's original hand drawn plan of Lookout Mountain

The Sixth

Sweetens Cove

Putting green at Lookout Mountain

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 07:44:04 PM by Chris Mavros »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2015, 03:30:54 PM »
Chris - can't see your photos!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2015, 03:56:13 PM »
If the Dixie Cup ever repeats venues, this year would be extremely high on the list.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2015, 04:01:09 PM »
If the Dixie Cup ever repeats venues, this year would be extremely high on the list.

I agree, Pete. The courses and hospitality were amazing. Also, it would be great to go into Chattanooga one evening. The downtown area by the river looked fantastic.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2015, 05:08:13 PM »
Pete and Mike,

You're absolutely right on that, Chattanooga is a really neat city in many ways.  In addition to the courses ya'll played, there is (of course) The Honors, and Chattanooga Golf and Country Club is an old Ross.  It's a great city for golf.

They've done a great job redeveloping the riverfront, with many good restaurants and bars.  The local music scene is small but good and growing.  The local utility has developed a Gigabit internet service serving the downtown and surrounding area, which is attracting lots of emerging stage businesses.  In short, they've got their stuff together in many ways.  I hated missing this year's Dixie Cup!

Jamey

herrstein

« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2015, 05:31:42 PM »

I think there must have been some misunderstanding about this. Raynor definitely saw the site, as was reported at the time, and breathed "a gasp of satisfaction." But he never came to the site when the course was under construction. He died just a couple of months after the plans were finished.
Charles Banks did visit the site, and we even have a hole-by-hole walk thru of the course with Banks that was published in Golfers Magazine, the Golf Digest of the day.
The bulk of the construction was apparently managed by a Raynor/Banks associate named Balfour.

I really enjoyed my time with my fellow architecture nuts. You guys made me feel special!
Several of you asked for e-mail links to the high-res scans of the original plans for LMGC I showed you- just send me your e-mail in a private message here and I will get back to you.

Thanks again for asking me- and thanks for the copy of the Confidential Guide!
Doug Stein

Mike_Young

« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2015, 05:45:31 PM »
Michael, Eric, Evan and all....Had a great time but had to leave since I melt in the rain...but did stop in downtown Chatanooga w Bob and had dinner...

Doug, sorry I missed your talk...hope all is well...Mke Y
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jay Mickle

« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2015, 09:39:34 PM »
Doug,
Great presentation on the renovation of LMGC but I think that you missed your calling as a stand up comedian as evidenced by your Billy the Blaster shtick.
Thanks for adding to the great memories of a very special golf outing.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

herrstein

« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2015, 09:46:49 PM »
Norman Collingsworth. Elite Drilling and Blasting. No lie. I'm just reporting the facts.

BCowan

« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2015, 09:49:20 PM »
I just have to say east Tennessee boys are real men. My kinda folk.  They have no trouble telling folks to speed up. 

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2015, 10:31:30 PM »
Home now, settling in and thinking back about another wonderful Dixie Cup (my fifth).  So much to report, so I'll start with my duties as one of the team captains.

I am proud to announce that my North squad defended last year's title in epic fashion.  We only had two competition days this year due to rain (Friday and Sunday), but my boys made me proud finishing the sessions with a 12.5 to 4.5 margin of victory.  Great play and some excellent matches out there!

Now for a recap of the proceedings...

We started the weekend with a real treat, access to the great Donald Ross Holston Hills Country Club in Knoxville.  We had about 18 folks play and had a heck of a time.  Lots of recent rain made for atypical playing conditions as green collars were on the softer side and the rough was deadly thick...but a smooth, comfortable walk made up for that.  Ross' routing is just genius and although the course is routed on what appears to be a rather flat (possibly a flood plain?) piece of property, he took advantage of EVERY bit of movement and feature the property had to offer.  Bunkering is on the (truly) penal side with steep grass-faced walls and most putting surfaces were canted / slanted rather than containing many internal contours making reading putts a real challenge.

After golf I arranged for the gang to meet in downtown Knoxville at a BBQ joint called Sweet P's Barbecue and Soul House.  They had a variety of meats available and a bunch of good sides.  And how can you go wrong with Banana Pudding for dessert (or "Monkey Puke" as Wardo affectionately calls it).  Everyone agreed that the grub was solid, and we had a fun time dining together.  Then we caravan-ed down to Chattanooga.

And that was the last of our good weather...  :'(

Friday was going to be 36 holes at Black Creek Club, the brainchild of Doug Stein (member extraordinaire at Lookout Mountain) and designed by Brian Silva.  The club maintains a photo album from the construction period, and it was amazing to see the (relatively) flat piece of property that was "pushed" into its current form with bold / engineered angles and shapes.  It was truly a sight to behold!  All the cool templates are either represented or homage'd in a terrific way.  Bad news of the day? Lots of the wet stuff.  For those of us silly enough to NOT bring rain gear, we spent a lot of time socializing in the clubhouse and eating lunch.  The afternoon was filled with our first competitive round of the weekend as conditions improved (a little).  Soft conditions did damped the spirits, but only slightly.  The holes are so bold and "big", it was really fun to try and solve their many mysteries.  The Alps Punchbowl was a hoot and their collection of par 3's was rock solid with a traditional Biarritz and everything!

Friday's dinner at Black Creek Club was Southern BBQ style, and we had a brief presentation by the head pro and then were regaled by stories from the famous Mike Young library for politically correct humor (not!).  As usual, he had the room in stitches by the time he was over.

Our original plan was to play 36 holes at Lookout Mountain on Saturday and finish the weekend at Sweetens Cove on Sunday, but Mother Nature was having none of that.  Saturday at the top of Lookout Mountain was rain, rain, rain...but worse than that was the fog!  By about 9:30 or so it was clear we were not going to be able to tee it up at L.M...so some quick thinking by Mike Whitaker and logistical adjusting by Eric Strulowitz and we were off to Sweetens Cove to give it a go.  With a one-hour time change in our favor, the entire group made our way to South Pittsburg, TN and were stunned by what we saw once we got there.

Sweetens Cove was built on a former (flat as a pancake) 9-hole course in a very rural part of Tennessee.  But what the guys at King-Collins did to this property is nothing short of amazing.  Nine new holes, each distinct but following a consistent theme are presented for your playing pleasure.  Most all of the course is played at green-moved heights making for (and requiring) extremely precise shotmaking.  The greens are large, but set-up in what I'd call a repelling format (rather than a receptive one).  Results?...anything less than well struck shots are NOT rewarded and require further extrication to escape high numbers.  It was a shitload of fun!  Another cool thing they did for us was cut two holes in each green, so that after the first "loop" we moved the pins and had a hole new course to explore!  Bold contours, elevation change, sandy waste areas, 80-yard-deep greens...you name it, they have it.  For me and a few other guys, 18 holes was not enough so we soldiered on for an additional emergency nine.  I actually scored my best on the third loop as I began to figure out the required strategy for many of the holes.  And, I did our group proud by making birdie on the redan-like 9th hole by holing an uphill 10-footer to close out the day.

Since we had originally planned for a steak dinner at lookout Mountain for Saturday night, we stuck with that plan and everyone met back at the club for good eats and a rousing presentation by the aforementioned Doug Stein.  I think we spent nearly two hours listening to and asking questions of Doug.  He was engaging, humorous, extremely knowledgeable and full of passion for a golf course he truly seems to love.  Doug brought along a boatload of "props" including an original routing drawing from 1926 and other items used during the proposal process to the club's membership as they tried to gain momentum for a restoration of the course.  Doug's perspective on "re-discovering" this hidden gem and his subsequent treasure hunt for the artifacts used to restore the course to its rightful design was nothing short of amazing.  It really goes to show you what hard work and dedication to a cause will get you.  Doug's storytelling that evening was top notch and everyone left feeling satisfied with the food, atmosphere, camaraderie and knowledge they had gained.  Thanks Doug!!!

We awoke Sunday to...no rain!!!  We all scrambled up the mountain hoping the fog had lifted, and it had!  So, it was off on our morning round and final day of Dixie Cup (singles) competition.  We started on hole #10 (due to men's league play) and began our trek around a fantastic set of 18 template holes.  The course really has it all...great land movement, bold contours, beguiling greens with difficult approaches and head-scratching breaks.  The way the current course is routed is one of the opportunities (as I see it) to really improve the course.  The original routing calls for the current #1 and #2 to be the #17 and #18 holes, which means that #3 is actually the originally intended #1 hole.  And it shows.  #1 and #2 are ball-busters to start a round, whereas #3 is a more "gentle handshake" as an opener.  The more I've thought of it, starting your round on #3 and following that routing makes much more sense and reads more like a book from page one on instead of starting somewhere in the middle of the story.  If they were to ever acquire the house (and associated land) behind the 2nd green and turn that into the clubhouse location...holly crap...what an incredible view but more importantly would give the course a chance to really show off the routing that could be.

After the round we shared a deli-style lunch on the veranda and recounted our rounds and said our goodbyes.  I've been to more than 10 GCA events now, and as others here have said...you only need to pack your bags and come to a gathering to know the true power and pleasure of being a part of this community.  I've had nothing but good things to say about our participants, and the venues and speakers we get access to are second to none. Period.  New friends, old friends, friends for life.  I'm go grateful to the group for allowing me to be a part of the happenings and for sharing in our friendships.

Some final thank you's and shout-outs...

* Eric Strulowitz...dude! This was a R.O.C.K. S.T.A.R. Dixie Cup and you made it all happen.  How can we thank you enough?

* Mike Whitaker, Craig Disher, Bill McBride...thanks for your usual support as part of the planning committee, invaluable!

* Michael Christensen and Chris Shaida...although you could not be with us, your generous donations helped fuel our wine-induced stupor on Saturday night.  A million thanks!

* Doug Stein...you really could go on tour with your presentation shtick.  Keep up the passion for LMCC and here's hoping you get everything you wish for.

* North squad (you know who you are)...thanks for helping us raise the trophy again.  Maybe next time Whitaker will bother to actually bring it along!

I have a bunch of pictures and will begin posting them under separate thread entries in short order...hang tight!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2015, 11:06:03 PM »
Wanna see some pictures?!?!?  I've got a bunch of course photos, all in this album below:

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/evanjill/library/Dixie%20Cup%20XII

But for a few of the more candid shots,  here they are in full color...

Eric Strulowitz and Keith Causey

Mike Whitaker, Lyndell Young, Peter Pittock, Tyler Kearns, Bryan Drennon, Jay Mickle

Doug Stein's presentation

1926 rendering

Scenic overlook behind Lookout Mountain's #2 greensite

Mr. Wardo chillin' with his bacon and cheese infused Bloody Mary (don't ask!)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:08:13 PM by Evan Fleisher »
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

herrstein

« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2015, 08:45:56 AM »
Gentlemen,

Here is a link to pictures of the original plans I showed the group:

https://picasaweb.google.com/102408042968823430936/LMGCBySethRaynor

All the best-
Doug

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2015, 03:44:55 PM »
Appreciate all the kind comments about Dixie Cup 2015.

In spite of all the rain, I am glad we were able to make it work!   Special thanks to all of you, the clubs and their staffs, and to Doug Stein for an amazing presentation.

Look forward to Dixie Cup 2016 and seeing many of you again!  More information forthcoming early next year, but as we discussed already, it most likely be in Atlanta.

In the meantime, best wishes to all of you,  and if anyone has the urge to play a round at Lookout Mountain, give me a shout anytime. 

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2015, 05:02:54 PM »
A great Dixie Cup it was!
Special thanks to:
* John M and Eric S for getting us on these great courses.
* Evan F, Sterling F, and Tyler K for driving me around the hills and valleys of SE Tennessee.
* The organizers of this fine event.
* Doug Stein for his great presentation on the origins of Lookout Mountain/Fairyland Golf Club.
* Donald Ross, Seth Raynor, Brian Silva, Rob Collins, Gil Hanse and their partners for creating such wonderful golf grounds.

Here's a shot of the dynamic 9th green with the 8th green and 1st fairway behind at Sweetens Cove.  How I wish we had something like this in Minneapolis / St, Paul.

Craig Disher

« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2015, 09:54:45 PM »
I pieced together a panorama of Sweetens Cove but Morgan's photo captures the course just as well. I'll post mine anyway.

sweetenspano1 by cdsflickr, on Flickr

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:18:47 PM by Craig Disher »

ward peyronnin

« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2015, 10:51:36 PM »
Hard to tell what I am holding but it is a MASSIVE bloody mary including all the major food groups as requested of our mixologist:

animal mineral and vegetable; bacon, cheese , olives , onions, celery, pickles. SHAZAM!!! After a rainey round at Black Creek
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back