News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

john_stiles

Re: My First Born Turns to Alcohol
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2015, 07:35:33 PM »
A little more on topic....only about hops and High Pointe.

Enjoyed my plays at High Pointe, this one was for you !

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2015, 10:27:32 AM »
What's the over-under on how many years down the road there will be a thread on this site debating the relative merits of recreating High Pointe (perhaps somewhere in FL).

Maybe John K's grandkids will be on here to interject that it's a terrible idea because the people of that era liked crappy craft beer more than the course.  "Why would you want to rebuild a course that couldn't even compete with Hoppy Ending Pale Ale?"

(And yes, that's a real beer name: http://www.buzzfeed.com/esquire/25-of-the-most-amazing-craft-beer-names-youll-ever-see#.okAp2x45P)
I'd say that will not happen until Mr. Doak is no longer around.
But since he still is with us, I'd love to see some young idealistic Doak.
High Pointe was a great affordable golf course. Hell, I think it was pretty good no matter public, private, muni...whatever.
Maybe someday Tom will have his own Austin Golf Club like Mr. Crenshaw and if he does I'm betting there will be some High Pointe in it.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2015, 02:21:20 PM »
Craft beer has already jumped the shark. It was far easier to find great beer 10 years ago, before the boom in microbreweries allowed every idiot who ever cooked up five gallons with malt extract to open a business selling overhopped hipster-approved foam.

Unfortunately, the craft beer industry has spawned the same problems that the macro beer industry has - specifically a lack of variety as the market has begun to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Just as the domestic macro beer market has traditionally been flooded with flavorless fizzy "golden suds" pisswater that, as Budweiser so eloquently stated, "is brewed for drinking" rather than tasting, so the craft beer market has been flooded with poorly-made disgusting IPAs completely void of nuance that can be held like a bottled badge of honor by guys who want the cred that goes with buying local and drinking something "crafted" but who don't have the refined taste to appreciate any flavor other than "It's so hoppy!"

I suspect the golf architecture industry would look the same if new construction had continued at a rapid pace in the 20 years after Sand Hills opened. Coore & Crenshaw and Tom Doak are a lot like Sierra Nevada and Brooklyn Brewing: producers of fantastic and influential products with an appeal that not only drives their own marketability, but that also inspires legions of less talented idiots to flood the industry with inferior knockoff products. Thankfully golf doesn't have the money that craft beer has and thus minimalist, traditionally-inspired "craft" architecture hadn't been destroyed by shitty and talentless startup architecture firms. I'm happy to drink hard liquor while I wait for the craft beer bubble to pop and the industry to normalize, but it would be much harder to play Art Hills courses in protest of a hypothetical similar golf explosion.

Jason:
What are your top five IPAs?  Always looking for a good recommendation. 

Michael Moore

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2015, 04:31:22 PM »
Craft beer has already jumped the shark. It was far easier to find great beer 10 years ago, before the boom in microbreweries allowed every idiot who ever cooked up five gallons with malt extract to open a business selling overhopped hipster-approved foam.

Come on now, of all of the potentially dubious vectors of human progress you picked beermaking? Do you not remember standing by the fire as a teenager, holding a sixer of Michelob under your denim jacket as if it were the nectar of the Gods, which it was in 1985?

There are at least fifty breweries in Maine, and none of them are run by idiots. Fifty! That would be like having a hundred breweries in Chicago. Sure, a few people have jammed so many hops into the kettle that the product ends up tasting like the can in which it comes, and there is a general trend towards more floral and feminine brew. But to gaze upon the hundreds and hundreds of delicious new beers that are made right here and to say that variety and diversity are suffering, well, that dog don't hunt because he is too happy drinking some Banded Horn Pilsener, born where I was born, not hoppy.

Last summer I finally made it to Monhegan Island, ten miles off the coast. Guess what greeted us as we headed out of town and onto the trailhead? That's right, a truly micro brewery, with some of the best English-style ale you have ever tasted. The next night at dinner our hostess served up some homemade Black IPA that she had made with hops grown in the backyard. This may have been the best pour of 2014. If craft brewing has jumped the shark, let's hope that The Fonz is frozen between episodes for a long long time.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Jason Thurman

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2015, 05:00:07 PM »
Carl, Columbus Brewing Company's Bodhi and Sierra Nevada's Torpedo are pretty much exactly what that style should aspire to be, as far as I'm concerned. They're both really balanced and the hops do what they're supposed to do by giving a refreshing bite of bitterness without overpowering all the malt flavor. I also really like Bell's Two Hearted, especially as a milder beer that's great in late summer.

Ale Asylum's Bedlam is an interesting one that I got into while living in Wisconsin. It bills itself as a "Belgian IPA" and it definitely has a lot of the fruitier colors of Belgian beers with less bitterness than you normally get on an IPA platform. It's different and really enjoyable. You can probably find better examples of Belgian IPAs, but I've never heard of that style anywhere else and I really like the concept. Fat Head Hop JuJu is another good one with a great citrus finish. I hate that I like their stuff - the brewery name and logo is sort of cartoonish and silly for my tastes, but they make really good beers. I enjoy quite a few IPAs, but I am not a fan of how they've overtaken the market.

Michael, if you read closely, you'll note that I never said variety was suffering in the craft beer market. My qualms are with the percentages. 10 years ago when I first started legally drinking, I spent most of my time at two bars that stocked between 250 and 550 beers from around the world. The variety was astonishing, and they augmented it with frequent tasting events where $10 got you a ticket to spend a few hours tasting dozens of different styles until your tongue was too pickled to continue. The styles available were vast and varied and every beer that on offer was a little different from the one next to it.

Now, I can go to those same bars today and still find plenty of variety, but where I used to be able to point to a shelf and say "Hey, I'll try something from that section!" and know that I would get something I'd never tasted before, 40% of the shelves are now stocked with IPAs because they've become the opiate of the bandwagon drinker. The neighborhood beer shop down the street from my house always has something exciting available, but I increasingly have to sift through box after box of shitty IPAs to find it. And it's not that all IPAs are even bad, but they are the easiest style for a novice brewer to produce without his mistakes being obvious and there's a huge recent surge in breweries that specialize in them and that focus on making their offering as offensive as possible in the name of IBUs, because IPA fans don't understand subtlety any better than RTJ fans do.

There are still a lot of good things happening in the craft beer world, and a lot of interesting new interpretations on old styles available. It's also nice that I can buy good beer that was made in my time zone so easily as opposed to exclusively supporting the import market, because 'Murica. But it is nonetheless disappointing to see so much shelf space and so many handles dedicated to growing the bandwagon instead of actually growing the craft.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2015, 05:23:11 PM »
Jason:

Carl,

Depending on where you live and what you can get your hands on, I'd go with Firestone Walker's Union Jack, which is pretty ubiquitous, and for my money, about as perfect an example of the style as you can get.  Ballast Point's Sculpin is also excellent.  It also depends a bit on what you prefer.  Personally, I like them with a bit more citrus flavor and a little less of the piny resin flavor, so I tend to prefer more of the California stuff.  Green Flash's West Coast IPA is great, as is Deschutes' Fresh Squeezed.  Bells' Two Hearted is pretty well regarded, and it's also really good, but tastes more to the piny side to me.  Revolution in Chicago makes a really great IPA (Anti-Hero), but their distribution footprint is currently pretty small.  They're ramping up massively though in the near future.  Three Floyds make both Zombie Dust and Alpha King, which they classify as Pale Ales, but they're really IPAs and worth trying if you can find them.  Tough to get even in Chicago unless you're willing to drive 45 minutes down to their brewery in Munster.  But there are a lot of good ones out there with small distribution footprints (Surly Furious and Short's Huma Lupalicious) so it kind of depends on where you are.  Bear Republic's Racer Five is actually a little underrated in my opinion.  If you can find it, give it a shot.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2015, 05:25:34 PM »
I think Hops is going through the same boom golf did in it's heyday --I would bet we can buy this back when the IPA boom goes bust and people get back to beer that is actually pleasant to drink rather than choke down. I'll set a reminder for the Fall of 2018.

http://www.traverseticker.com/story/prominent-golf-course-sold-to-become-hops-farm

Buck, I'm with you. This heavy craft beer fad is just the latest incarnation of the same poseur trendiness that previously spawned 25 year old yuppies smoking $60 cigars they can't afford, flabby 40-something's donning spandex to rollerblade down the Lake Shore Drive bike paths, $30 Asian-fusion Wagu beef hamburgers, those shiitty-looking ultra-skinny Euro-trash meets Madmen suits currently all the rage and, of course, CCFADs...

I have no dog in this beer battle (?), but even so, as to the rest of it: Hear, hear, counselor (and Buck)!

Now, we just need to predict where they'll turn next, and cash in on it .... 'cause I don't think they're turning back to Pabst Blue Ribbon.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 05:28:22 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Garland Bayley

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2015, 05:33:12 PM »

Come on now, of all of the potentially dubious vectors of human progress you picked beermaking? Do you not remember standing by the fire as a teenager, holding a sixer of Michelob under your denim jacket as if it were the nectar of the Gods, which it was in 1985?

There are at least fifty breweries in Maine, and none of them are run by idiots. Fifty! That would be like having a hundred breweries in Chicago. Sure, a few people have jammed so many hops into the kettle that the product ends up tasting like the can in which it comes, and there is a general trend towards more floral and feminine brew. But to gaze upon the hundreds and hundreds of delicious new beers that are made right here and to say that variety and diversity are suffering, well, that dog don't hunt because he is too happy drinking some Banded Horn Pilsener, born where I was born, not hoppy.

Last summer I finally made it to Monhegan Island, ten miles off the coast. Guess what greeted us as we headed out of town and onto the trailhead? That's right, a truly micro brewery, with some of the best English-style ale you have ever tasted. The next night at dinner our hostess served up some homemade Black IPA that she had made with hops grown in the backyard. This may have been the best pour of 2014. If craft brewing has jumped the shark, let's hope that The Fonz is frozen between episodes for a long long time.

Back in the good old days, the different beers tasted like pretty uniform tasteless yuck. Now, that people are bringing some taste to beer, people are complaining? ??? Back in the good old days, peasant farmers in Ethiopia made better tasting beer than the huge beer making conglomerates.

Let's not go back to the good old days of RTJ heroic golf and beer conglomerate swill.

Mr. Moore,

You can mark this down as the first time in the history of the website that we have agreed on anything. ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

BCowan

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2015, 05:35:51 PM »
Can u tell us which brewery?  Is it Right Brain, Founders, Bells, or Shorts?  

Probably none of them.  Very few breweries also grow their own hops for brewing (though quite a few do for decoration).  A few that have sizable properties may grow their own hops some of their beers (Stone and Sierra Nevada being two), but most hops are sourced from hop growers, so I doubt it's any of those breweries, though they may end up buying some hops from the owners if this operation.  

Bill,

Bells and Founders are growing very rapidly and are getting big as you know.  Bells has an 80 acre farm.  No wonder why the Christmas ale is so damn good.  I do think you are right that HP is going to be an independent hop supplier.  http://www.bellsbeer.com/about/farm/

On a side note.  The beautiful thing is many people can brew from their garage just like the owners of well know breweries across the country did when they started out.  If that isn't America, I don't know what is.  Most great things start in garages.  Usually asking your local beer store that have similar preference is what i do, same with golf courses, word of mouth.

Bourbon barrel beer is gaining popularity as was wheat beer 10 years ago.  I had lunch in metro detroit at a muni golf course who's clubhouse was privately managed.  They have 76 taps.  Guys came in at lunch time to wait for the KVS BB beer to be released at 6pm that day.  I agree with you that Craft beer isn't going away, unlike the golf market which was fueled by artificial interest rates.  

PS- You guys always buy up the 3 Floyds market when I'm in Indy, always shortages.  I recommend Dark Horse, Right Brain, and Arcadia to you.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 05:37:23 PM by BCowan »

Bill Seitz

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2015, 07:02:50 PM »
Drink Schitz.  It's good enough.   And carry a Jones bag full of Hogan irons. They're good enough too.  And leave chasing the latest faux-intelligencia trends to guys who wear their shirts untucked with their spot suits and would smoke $60 cigars still be eating $30 Wagu burgers except for the fact that they just read about Beyond Meat in Wired magazine and bought a rainbow of spandex and a $2000 bicycle so they could feel trendy...

There's no accounting for taste, Shivas.  Drink what you like.  There's plenty to go around. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2015, 07:05:04 PM »
Who buys a $2,000 bicycle unless it is for their wife? 

BCowan

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2015, 07:18:42 PM »
David,

My grandparents drank shlitz, I had a Hogan jr set, i paid for a yearly gym membership that used once last year (does that count) ;D.  Just ask my better half if she thinks i got a beer gut.  If I'm going to put on some winter pounds, it will be with enjoyable beer.  ''Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy''- Ben Franklin.  No offense, but he didn't have schlitz in mind.  
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:22:56 PM by BCowan »

Sean_A

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2015, 07:20:19 PM »
Jason has a point.  Even in the UK IPAs or IPA alikes are saturating the real beer market.  The amount of real beer choice at the pump is less than it was 25 years ago, but that has as much to do with a lot of other drinks being better marketed than 25 years ago.  I am losing my taste for beer and gone back to lager...Grolsh or Canuck lager...but I drink so little of beer type drinks that it doesn't matter much what I drink.  I tried several ales in Brugges and not one impressed me...much preferred the waffles  :D  Besides, when a fe bottles of beer starts to cost the same as a good bottle of wine then I know my money is going to the wrong man.  I guess I am a true wino these days...not much into hangin' about in pubs or shopping for bottled beer.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Garland Bayley

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2015, 07:24:13 PM »
Craft beer has already jumped the shark. It was far easier to find great beer 10 years ago,...

Yep, and Starbucks was just a fad too.

Step away from the keyboard son.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

C. Sturges

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2015, 09:35:13 PM »
Now to bring it back to golf and beer.  I would like to mention the Pacific Northwest's own McMenamin's.  It is not the very best brewery out there, but they are doing it right.  Brewpub and golf!  When I lived out west they had just opened Edgefield, a pub with two par three courses!  As I said it is not the best brewery or golf course, but I am very sure no one else is going to let you out on there own golf course with a freshly made brew.  They are bigger than a small local brewery, but they are not the big boys either.  I had many fun afternoons playing there after a morning round and lunch.  The perfect way to reflect on playing any one of Portland's more famous courses.  If playing a par three is not your style, take a ride to the coast where they now have Gearhart Golf Links.  One of the oldest courses west of the Mississippi.

As I said before the golf is not the best in state and there are other brewery's I prefer in Portland, but none of them offer both.  I can not think of a better combination.  Not everyday can be a top 100 golf course, or in my mind should it.  To truly appreciate the finer things you sometimes need to take a step back.

And to bring it back to this topic, they also have a farm where they grow grains for there beer and food for there kitchens.  They have shown this to be a viable means to grow there business and a way forward for golf courses on the verge of closure to become profitable and to be able to stay open.

Go out there and get a good beer and play some fun golf.  I know that's what I want to do and that is what 98% of all golfers are doing. 
chris

Buck Wolter

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2015, 10:09:36 PM »
Jason:

Carl,

Depending on where you live and what you can get your hands on, I'd go with Firestone Walker's Union Jack, which is pretty ubiquitous, and for my money, about as perfect an example of the style as you can get.  Ballast Point's Sculpin is also excellent.  It also depends a bit on what you prefer.  Personally, I like them with a bit more citrus flavor and a little less of the piny resin flavor, so I tend to prefer more of the California stuff.  Green Flash's West Coast IPA is great, as is Deschutes' Fresh Squeezed.  Bells' Two Hearted is pretty well regarded, and it's also really good, but tastes more to the piny side to me.  Revolution in Chicago makes a really great IPA (Anti-Hero), but their distribution footprint is currently pretty small.  They're ramping up massively though in the near future.  Three Floyds make both Zombie Dust and Alpha King, which they classify as Pale Ales, but they're really IPAs and worth trying if you can find them.  Tough to get even in Chicago unless you're willing to drive 45 minutes down to their brewery in Munster.  But there are a lot of good ones out there with small distribution footprints (Surly Furious and Short's Huma Lupalicious) so it kind of depends on where you are.  Bear Republic's Racer Five is actually a little underrated in my opinion.  If you can find it, give it a shot.

I hadn't realized Surly Furious was an IPA so I like one! Most make me sneeze. Love Surly Hell which is a Pilsner. Great slogan 'beer in a can, made for a glass'
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Matt MacIver

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2015, 12:04:53 AM »
I'll just say that Southern Tier's Unearthly IPA belongs in any discussion. 

Bill Seitz

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2015, 12:35:43 AM »
I'll just say that Southern Tier's Unearthly IPA belongs in any discussion.  

I think that's a double IPA, but it's definitely solid if you're looking for something with a higher ABV.  The oak aged version was especially good the last time I bought some. Kinda pricey in bombers though.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 01:14:34 AM by Bill Seitz »

David Davis

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2015, 04:54:46 AM »
20 some years ago I was in Portland, Oregon for what we like to believe were the early days of the micro breweries when they started popping up on all the street corners downtown in what is todays Pearl District, ok to be fair I can remember one - Bridgeport.

Today my microbrew experience is limited to one of you fine folks sharing ur favorites when I'm fortunate enough to visit.

BUT

Here in Munich, Germany were I'm working is not half bad for beers and in fact back to Tom's original post I sure wish they would sell the land the local golf courses are on in order to create more excellent breweries. I'm all for sticking to what they know and do well. In terms of beer I would make a strong argument it's the best in the world with a few fine ones to choose from:

Spaten-Bräu
Löwen-Bräu
Augustiner
Leist-Bräu
Pschorr-Bräu
Bürgerliches
Hacker-Bräu
Paulaner
Hof-Bräuhaus
Münchener
Salvator
Unions
Sanct-Anna
Eberl-Faber
Zum Bayer Löwen Actien
Thomass-Bräu
Rochel-Bräu
Gabelsberger

My favorite is Augustiner but really they are all good and most are making at least an ale, dark beer, wheat beer etc.

There's still hope for all those micro brewers to mature but try as we may us Americans will NEVER catch the Bavarians on this front and also not on the average liters consumed per person front.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2015, 10:11:06 AM »
Anyone have some pictures of HP when it was a golf course?

I will post a few up in 15 minutes! I played HP back in 2005 as a part of a 36 hole day, the other course being an afternoon round at Arcadia Bluffs. What a great day of golf.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:18:25 AM by Richard Hetzel »
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2015, 10:15:43 AM »
Here are a few pictures of High Pint, oh I mean High Pointe GC:

Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Craig Sweet

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2015, 10:16:55 AM »
Might be time for a new Confidential Guide....to breweries!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2015, 10:17:31 AM »
Jason:
What are your top five IPAs?  Always looking for a good recommendation.  

Carl,

Depending on where you live and what you can get your hands on, I'd go with Firestone Walker's Union Jack, which is pretty ubiquitous, and for my money, about as perfect an example of the style as you can get.  Ballast Point's Sculpin is also excellent.  It also depends a bit on what you prefer.  Personally, I like them with a bit more citrus flavor and a little less of the piny resin flavor, so I tend to prefer more of the California stuff.  Green Flash's West Coast IPA is great, as is Deschutes' Fresh Squeezed.  Bells' Two Hearted is pretty well regarded, and it's also really good, but tastes more to the piny side to me.  Revolution in Chicago makes a really great IPA (Anti-Hero), but their distribution footprint is currently pretty small.  They're ramping up massively though in the near future.  Three Floyds make both Zombie Dust and Alpha King, which they classify as Pale Ales, but they're really IPAs and worth trying if you can find them.  Tough to get even in Chicago unless you're willing to drive 45 minutes down to their brewery in Munster.  But there are a lot of good ones out there with small distribution footprints (Surly Furious and Short's Huma Lupalicious) so it kind of depends on where you are.  Bear Republic's Racer Five is actually a little underrated in my opinion.  If you can find it, give it a shot.

Firestone Union Jack is great, as is Anti Hero and Racer 5. Still trying to get hold of a 3 Floyd's Zombie Dust. Try Rhinegeist Truth IPA, brewed in Cincy, and awesome
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:19:57 AM by Richard Hetzel »
Last 7:

Garland Bayley

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2015, 11:20:22 AM »
Craft beer has already jumped the shark. It was far easier to find great beer 10 years ago,...

Yep, and Starbucks was just a fad too.

Step away from the keyboard son.

And Starbucks is relevant how?   That's the antithesis of craft-anything, and nobody runs around explaining how their Starbucks is different or better than anybody else's.   The whole point of the yuppie douchebag fad is to be different than everybody else.  Brandishing a Starbucks in your hand is just an admission that you have conventional taste.

Shivas,

Go drink your Folgers and Schlitz, and play your Jans National. Enjoy yourself.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2015, 01:17:56 PM »
Interesting to see a few recommendations here that make it over to the UK.  SN Torpedo is a good palate calibration exercise, so just as I'd take an Arble recommendation for a golf course a Thurman recco for an IPA looks a good bet.  I've always been a fan of Stone Brewing and their beers and am a bit surprised not to see one of their IPAs mentioned here?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back