News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Tarble

Re: The 2015 Midwest Mashie - Minnesota - Sign Up!
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2015, 10:27:40 AM »
Re: accommodations, the Murphy House sounds excellent and I'm not sure how many people will be looking for accommodations.  But I propose we should try to figure out a additional "home base" hotel or even an AirBnB if we have more than 8.  I think the best Mashie's have been the ones where everyone is in mostly the same spot in the evenings.

If we have only 8 needing a hotel, my comment is null and void and I'd like a bed at the Murphy House  :)

Greg Krueger

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2015, 10:37:53 AM »
Please sign me up for all rounds!

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2015, 10:43:42 AM »
Does the presence of a wait list mean that this event is already full?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2015, 11:06:10 AM »
Would be happy to go see the Indians lock up a playoff spot in late September. Hope that doesn't jinx them!

Brian --

What makes you think it'll be the *Indians'* locking up a playoff spot?

(NB: People who move to Minnesota are required, by custom if not by law, to root wholeheartedly for the local teams -- and to believe in their infinite potential, the evidence be damned! Failure to do so makes it impossible for any newcomer to experience the life of a true Minnesotan -- i.e., doomed to season after season of futility, with [every decade or so] a glimmer of hope, and [every generation or so] an actual moment of triumph. Of course, as an Indians fan, you know all about that already ....)

Dan

P.S. Sent our exchange to my niece's husband, who grew up in Dayton, lives in the Twin Cities, and roots for the Indians. His reply: "The last generation to experience a moment of triumph in Cleveland was my grandfather's.  We're due."

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:31:47 AM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jason Thurman

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2015, 12:12:57 PM »
Re: accommodations, the Murphy House sounds excellent and I'm not sure how many people will be looking for accommodations.  But I propose we should try to figure out a additional "home base" hotel or even an AirBnB if we have more than 8.  I think the best Mashie's have been the ones where everyone is in mostly the same spot in the evenings.

If we have only 8 needing a hotel, my comment is null and void and I'd like a bed at the Murphy House  :)

I'm probably going to stay at the Aloft or the Westin downtown, at least from Thursday onwards (rates are higher on Wednesday night currently but may be more affordable with some negotiation). I could call those hotels and see if we could secure a group rate if there's interest. I'd just need a general headcount of how many rooms to have them block. The Westin may be the more ideal venue if we're looking for a group block of rooms - I love the Aloft, but it's a little weird and not for everyone.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2015, 01:06:01 PM »
A word to the wise:

It is worth noting that Windsong Farm is a substantial drive from downtown Minneapolis (24 miles to the middle of downtown, on winding country roads, Interstates and city streets) -- and that the dinner at Windsong, Saturday evening, will offer the chance to become not the most reliable drivers.

Two words to consider: Designated Driver.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2015, 01:09:08 PM »
A word to the wise:

It is worth noting that Windsong Farm is a substantial drive from downtown Minneapolis (24 miles to the middle of downtown, on winding country roads, Interstates and city streets) -- and that the dinner at Windsong, Saturday evening, will offer the chance to become not the most reliable drivers.

Two words to consider: Designated Driver.

Aka... UberX/UberXL
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Josh Tarble

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2015, 01:12:36 PM »

I'm probably going to stay at the Aloft or the Westin downtown, at least from Thursday onwards (rates are higher on Wednesday night currently but may be more affordable with some negotiation). I could call those hotels and see if we could secure a group rate if there's interest. I'd just need a general headcount of how many rooms to have them block. The Westin may be the more ideal venue if we're looking for a group block of rooms - I love the Aloft, but it's a little weird and not for everyone.

I think that's a good idea.  Maybe see what final numbers round out to be and start putting that together.  I like any hotel that is clean.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2015, 01:49:59 PM »
I'd be interested In staying in Murphy House or splitting a room with someone.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2015, 02:21:34 PM »
Add me to the list including Friday. Been wanting to visit the area for a while.

I am interested in Murphy house but might be a little late.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:31:50 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

PCCraig

« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2015, 05:20:48 PM »
Sorry - I should of included this in my first post.

Please let me know, so i can form a list, if you're interested in staying at the Murphy House at Windsong Farm.

Thank you.
H.P.S.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2015, 10:39:39 PM »
Put me down as a local fill-in,  would like to join the dinner(s) for sure. Would also be up for Non-Mashie rounds before or after. Some interesting options south of the metro -- I dont know if Rochester CC (Tilly) might be possible but is on my short list. Northfield is a nice older course with some character and I've heard good things about Owatonna CC. Willingers and Legends aren't worth traveling for on their own but are decent public fillers coming from the South.

Buck
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

PCCraig

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2015, 08:28:31 PM »
I went through and updated the participant list on the first post of the thread. Please let me know if I missed anyone in the process.

If anyone else is still interested in joining us, please keep signing up. As if typically happens with events like this, people drop out for a variety of reasons and those on the wait list are able to join in.

H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2015, 08:31:42 PM »
I can give up my golf spot at Keller and just be an observer if it helps.  I can play there at other times.

Jeff,

We have more flexibility with tee times at Keller, so no worries. We would love to have you join the party.
H.P.S.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2015, 10:18:31 AM »
I can give up my golf spot at Keller and just be an observer if it helps.  I can play there at other times.

Jeff,

We have more flexibility with tee times at Keller, so no worries. We would love to have you join the party.

Great!  Will put it on the calendar, and if possible, join other events.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Buck Wolter

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2015, 12:03:42 PM »
Please add me to Keller since there's some flexibility there
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

John_Conley

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2015, 09:32:45 PM »
Great lineup.  And if anyone is looking for another recommendation, try Owatonna to the South or Eau Claire to the East if you are arriving by car.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2015, 03:13:19 PM »
Just to update, I am looking at a couple of hotels in downtown and "midtown" Minneapolis to gauge what kinds of group rates we might be able to get. I'll price both single and double-occupancy. I'm hoping to get a few different offers based on how many people would be interested in a room.

Feel free to let me know if you're definitely interested in staying downtown. I'll err on the side of overblocking rooms so there's no need to confirm just yet if you're still mulling options, but if I can promise a certain number of guests it might positively affect our pricing. I'm looking at the Midtown Sheraton (just outside of downtown proper, across the street from a Russian bar, and 3 miles due west of Town and Country) and the Westin Minneapolis (heart of downtown, close enough to 9th and Hennepin that you can easily procure doughnuts have names that sound like prostitutes) at the moment, and should be able to come up with prices for king rooms for single occupancy and standard 2 queens as well as suites for double-occupancy.

To be clear, this isn't intended to trump the fantastic looking Murphy House, and I don't know that I'll be able to beat the excellent price that Windsong has offered to stay onsite. However, given that the Murphy House only sleeps 10, it does seem like we'll need a second "home base" and the location may be more convenient for some.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

PCCraig

« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2015, 03:33:03 PM »
Jason,

If you're going to stay in a hotel over the weekend, I would not recommend the Midtown Sheraton. It would probably be a fine place to stay a night...but if you are thinking of being able to walk to a bar or two and use it as a home base for a group of guys, it wouldn't be my pick.

You might pay a couple of extra dollars to park a rental car downtown over a weekend, but I think a group of guys would likely enjoy downtown Minneapolis a lot better.
H.P.S.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2015, 03:38:40 PM »
Jason,
My current plan is to come in at least on Wednesday night and Pat mentioned " for people checking in on the 25th and out the 27th" on  the Murphy House.  Not sure if that will be available for the extra two nights so mark me down as interested until I figure that out.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2015, 03:57:22 PM »
Thanks for the local knowledge Pat. Jeff offered a similar take as well.

I'll continue shopping a few hotels near downtown and go ahead and scratch the Midtown Sheraton from consideration. For those looking for rooms, continue to keep me posted and I'll let you know what options I come up with.

Jason Topp

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2015, 03:58:11 PM »
Currently, I do not plan on renting out the Murphy House beyond the 25th to the 27th.  I can rent half or all the house if there are people interested in doing more days.  Each floor is set up to be rented by a group of 4.  The approximate cost would be $300 for the lower half (2 bedrooms) and $500 for the upper half (4 bedrooms). 

The biggest downside to spending extra days there would be location - the experience would be more of a retreat rather than a beehive of activity.  You are also looking at a half hour drive to get to most other courses of interest (other than Woodhill, Spring Hill, Wayzata and Rush Creek) and an hour if you want to get to White Bear or North Oaks. 

Dan Kelly

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2015, 04:02:47 PM »
Thanks for the local knowledge Pat. Jeff offered a similar take as well.

I'll continue shopping a few hotels near downtown and go ahead and scratch the Midtown Sheraton from consideration. For those looking for rooms, continue to keep me posted and I'll let you know what options I come up with.

I have NO IDEA about prices there, but my brother and his wife (VERY well traveled) always stay at the Foshay Tower hotel: http://www.wminneapolishotel.com/. They love the bar there, too. And the museum.

A little history: The Foshay Tower is the original "skyscraper" of Minneapolis. From 1929 till about 1973, when the IDS Center was built, it was easily the tallest building in town. (Nowadays, it's dwarfed -- but it still stands out!)

It was modeled on the Washington Monument. John Philip Sousa wrote a march to commemorate its dedication: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU9Yr4WU3gA.

Its builder, Wilbur Foshay, ended up living in Leavenworth for several years, before being pardoned by HS Truman: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilbur_B._Foshay
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 04:11:25 PM by Dan Kelly »

BHoover

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2015, 04:49:58 PM »
My first time in the Twin Cities, I stayed at Le Meridien Chambers in downtown Minneapolis. A bit too artsy for my taste, but it was within walking distance to lots of restaurants and bars.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2015, 05:41:42 PM »
If people end up staying in Minneapolis this could make for a good night out -- very cool place on the roof of a bar overlooking downtown. Not sure what it stimps at.

http://www.britspub.com/lawn_bowling/index.php?strWebAction=availability

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back