News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Re: The BBC lose coverage of The Open
« Reply #225 on: July 18, 2016, 05:46:44 PM »
Viewership figures plunge 75%.  BBC's highlights draw a bigger viewership than the actual live broadcast on Sky...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/18/open-sky-sports-bbc-troon
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Michael Graham

« Reply #226 on: July 18, 2016, 06:16:25 PM »
Viewership figures plunge 75%.  BBC's highlights draw a bigger viewership than the actual live broadcast on Sky...

I wish I could say those figures are unbelievable but unfortunately they are all too believable. I'm in the fortunate position of being able to afford/justify paying for Sky Sports. An awful lot of people who could and likely would have tuned into the coverage on the BBC missed out on a final round for the ages. The BBC's highlights package gets more viewing figures than Sky's live coverage. I'm not surprised the R&A weren't available for comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/18/open-sky-sports-bbc-troon

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #227 on: July 19, 2016, 01:39:25 AM »

The BBC not making sure of the Open coverage was disgraceful and that the R&A allowed that to happen shows how little interest they have in growing the game in the UK.

I'm sure that the BBC is delighted to have passed on the responsibility for televising The Open. The organisation is simply not geared up to take on such major outside broadcast events any more. I don't suppose that the R&A had much choice other than to climb into bed with Sky.

It is all very unfortunate for golf. When it was on the BBC a lot of casual viewers will have have found themselves watching it, and some will have been inspired. Now the people with access to watch The Open are mainly the hardcore football fans who keep Sky Sports in business - and most of them have little interest in golf.

Meanwhile, up to four million people found something else to do at the weekend.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 01:41:43 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #228 on: July 19, 2016, 07:37:51 AM »
Sky did show a bloke walking his dog on the beach at one stage plus an ice-cream van with no queue so traces of the old Beeb coverage do remain. Didn't hear any congratulatory references to Mrs Smithers who's celebrating being a member at Chalky Hills on Sea GC for 90 years though.

Best bit - James Donaldson disappearing down into the gorse pinching his nose with his fingers as if he was a swimmer going underwater. :) :)

Atb

Tom Birkert

« Reply #229 on: July 19, 2016, 12:14:36 PM »
I thought the Sky coverage was way better than the BBC coverage. Their preview shows, particularly the range coverage and discussions with the likes of DJ, Jason Day etc showing them how they hit different shots was outstanding.

They can improve though - I thought the use of Trackman / Protracer in the US Open was superb, and is needed much more on links courses as it is harder to see a ball's course in the air. So more of that next year please.

Sky cover sport in far greater depth and invest in it more than BBC. For their first go at The Open, I thought it was splendid.

David McIntosh

« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2016, 05:49:48 PM »
I thought the Sky coverage was excellent and was hands down better than the BBC. I know it's not exactly a fair fight between the two in terms of resources but putting that to one side I felt there was really no comparison in the quality of the coverage.

The Monday/Tuesday preview shows and practice round coverage were interesting, as were the Shot Centre pieces with the players, and really built up the anticipation in advance of the tournament starting. The technology with the floating 3D holes/player's eye view were good in small doses and I much prefer the Sky presenting/commentary line up to that of the BBC. I enjoyed Wayne Riley's aerial hole-by-hole analysis (even the shouting over the noise of the drone), which was very well done and really gave the viewer some perspective on the holes. I like Ken Brown and his 'Ken on the Course' sections however they are about as in depth and cutting edge as the BBC gets.

I was pleased to see Sky cover play from the start of each day and tuned in on Thursday morning to see the opening shots being hit, another welcome addition. Sure, the advert breaks were annoying but at least Sky kept them relatively short before resuming coverage. I thought the interuptions were bearable and hopefully the length of the ad breaks does not creep up in future years.

It was a great first showing of the Open for Sky and I'm looking forward to seeing what improvements they roll out for next year's event. BBC's coverage has been very good for years however I think it has had its day and the time is right for Sky to take the coverage to the next level, something the BBC would be unable to do due to funding restraints and its clear prioritisation of other programmes ahead of sporting events.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #231 on: July 20, 2016, 02:11:45 AM »
But what happened to "growing the game" ?

Sean_A

« Reply #232 on: July 20, 2016, 02:19:30 AM »

Its a cheap cliche.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Niall C

« Reply #233 on: July 20, 2016, 09:35:07 AM »

Its a cheap cliche.

Ciao

Absolutely agree with that. I think a better phrase might be "good for the game" which isn't necessarily to do with economics.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #234 on: July 20, 2016, 11:06:52 AM »
The R&A seem more interested in advising and plowing money into lots of other countries whilst ignoring the decline in their own back yard. I wonder if they figure how important a strong golfing culture in the UK is for them before the money runs out?

Jon

Ben Attwood

« Reply #235 on: July 21, 2016, 10:54:52 AM »
I really missed the BBC commentary team and their style. Really missed them, especially P. Alliss and K. Brown.

What annoys me most about the sky commentators is that every shot the pro hits that ends up further than 5 feet from hole is a huge disappointment and that the player must be criticised for it. In contrast, the BBC commentators seem to be rooting for the players and living the ups and downs of the round with them.

Having said that, the technical coverage of the golf was improved on Sky. More cameras, more angles, more shot tracer and I thought the timing of how they covered the last groups was good - it appeared largely live without too much pre-recorded stuff back to back. The advert breaks were also really short.

My best viewing was on Saturday when I watched on TV but listened to the BBC 5live radio commentary simultaneously.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #236 on: July 21, 2016, 01:31:08 PM »
Whilst not missing Messrs Alliss, Torrance, Lineker etc from the Beeb coverage, Mark Jones dry wit did have it's moments whilst Ken on the course and his jokiness can perhaps be compared to Aussie 'Radar' Riley on Sky, although delivered in a softer manner. I would like to see/hear ex-tour player John E Morgan, who usually covers Euro-pro/Challenge tour events, used for The Open.

Trackman views on tee-shots is terrific. I imagine that as available technology improves over time this feature will be used for more and more kinds of shots.

Atb

JJShanley

« Reply #237 on: July 21, 2016, 03:40:58 PM »
Trackman views on tee-shots is terrific. I imagine that as available technology improves over time this feature will be used for more and more kinds of shots.

I think the current cost of each unit limits their use.  Broadcasters will use more of them if they drop in price.  I liked how NBC used one with a camera behind the 17th green at Sawgrass to track the ball in flight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zafdKeHX1mM  It would offer a change from the traditional view from behind the player.

David McIntosh

« Reply #238 on: July 21, 2016, 04:05:53 PM »
Thomas,

John E Morgan was definitely inside the ropes with Sky jacket in tow at Troon last week as I saw him when I was there on the Friday. I watched a fair bit of the coverage on the other days but can't recall hearing from him at any point like we did with Rich Beem, Wayne Riley etc, whom I also spotted.

David
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 04:18:09 PM by David McIntosh »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #239 on: July 21, 2016, 06:04:45 PM »
John Morgan was working for the BBC doing the 'Five Live' coverage. Can't say I like his style of commentating but he is popular with most people. Overall I think Sky did a great job, better than the BBC in my opinion. They are a professional set up after all. Still a shame that it is not on BBC as part of growing the game but it seems it was totally a BBC dump nothing to do with the R & A.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back