News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: The BBC lose coverage of The Open
« Reply #175 on: July 14, 2016, 01:11:57 PM »
Well,

The first day of Sky coverage has been a disappointment. Not enough golf, all too much analysis and graphics.

This has only hit home because I've two choices in Ireland. Over on Setanta Ireland / Eir, we also have full coverage. It has advert breaks (unlike BBC) but the whole presentation is much more peaceful and golf focused. Every time I switch between the two, Eir are showing golf shots and talking calmly whilst Sky are talking nonsense in front of some new fangled gizmo.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #176 on: July 14, 2016, 01:20:25 PM »
I miss Peter Alliss.

Golf has no chance of growing without him rambling on about Jimmy Bruin, or sending congratulatory messages to Royal Mid Surrey about the grand opening of their new toilets.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #177 on: July 14, 2016, 01:29:23 PM »
Ken on the course. Plastic ducks in the Swilken Burn. Ex-England footballers nattering. Ah, those were the days! The World moves on, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse, sometimes a bit of both.

Some compensation in relation to other recent coverages of Major's though - no rules violations judged by TV (so far!).

And there's always the option of using the remote to change channel and watching the Tour de France or the news for the ministerial changes! Seemingly no John Wayne cowboy films on TV in the afternoon these days, alas!

Atb
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 01:34:50 PM by Thomas Dai »

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2016, 06:27:11 PM »
Meanwhile, over in the U.S., the Golf Channel coverage (owned by NBC) has been tremendous. Plenty of golf, a few highlight updates, and while there are ads, it's a 14 1/2 hour show. Someone has to pay the bills.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2016, 08:50:17 PM »
For the UK gca'ers, who makes up the Sky Sports golf broadcasting team? (besides Paul McGinley)
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #180 on: July 14, 2016, 08:56:02 PM »
Meanwhile, over in the U.S., the Golf Channel coverage (owned by NBC) has been tremendous. Plenty of golf, a few highlight updates, and while there are ads, it's a 14 1/2 hour show. Someone has to pay the bills.

I agree. The coverage of FIGJAM's shot at history was some of the most riveting coverage we've had in a while. I also like the graphics and organization. After the break we'll be joined by x and y for the next two hours, etc.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #181 on: July 15, 2016, 03:08:32 AM »
What a difference. I am too tight to pay the Sky fee so it was just the highlights for me. Coverage was awful!!! Two hours of watching putting is really boring and I suspect they will see viewing figures plummet. What a difference a year makes :'(

Jon

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2016, 03:55:22 AM »
Well,

The first day of Sky coverage has been a disappointment. Not enough golf, all too much analysis and graphics.

This has only hit home because I've two choices in Ireland. Over on Setanta Ireland / Eir, we also have full coverage. It has advert breaks (unlike BBC) but the whole presentation is much more peaceful and golf focused. Every time I switch between the two, Eir are showing golf shots and talking calmly whilst Sky are talking nonsense in front of some new fangled gizmo.

Like Jon I am too tight to pay for Sky but when I have seen their gofl coverage,  it's just too much.  Constantly back and forth to the studio, analysis from x, y, z and lots of graphics.   I miss two golfers strolling down the fairway with Mr Alliss wittering on. 

When Fred and Ginger danced they set up the camera and let them do their thing and it will endure forever. Today's videos feature so many cuts it's hard to see if anyone is really dancing or singing.

Sky however, are very successful broadcasters and strange as it may seem, I realise I am not.  They have found their audience and my views matter not a bit to them. But I do think you got a better impression of what 'golf' was all about in the old days.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #183 on: July 15, 2016, 04:20:15 AM »
Jon

I agree, the Beeb's highlights was bloody awful.  There was no flow to coverage and far too much putting showed...which just confirms Troon's greens aren't terribly interesting  :P

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #184 on: July 15, 2016, 04:43:13 AM »
Well,

Like Jon I am too tight to pay for Sky but when I have seen their gofl coverage,  it's just too much.  Constantly back and forth to the studio, analysis from x, y, z and lots of graphics.   I miss two golfers strolling down the fairway with Mr Alliss wittering on. 

When Fred and Ginger danced they set up the camera and let them do their thing and it will endure forever. Today's videos feature so many cuts it's hard to see if anyone is really dancing or singing.

Sky however, are very successful broadcasters and strange as it may seem, I realise I am not.  They have found their audience and my views matter not a bit to them. But I do think you got a better impression of what 'golf' was all about in the old days.

Yes Tony - very well put.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #185 on: July 15, 2016, 06:02:49 AM »
I didn't see any of the coverage yesterday but have been watching this morning.  I'm a fan of the Sky coverage.  I think you see more golf (rather than, as Tony pines for, golfers walking down the fairway) and I'm sure their coverage uses technology to give a better feel for the course and where shots have gone.  It's also a delight to watch golf without the bumbling embarrassment that Allis had become.  I do miss Ken Brown, though.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #186 on: July 15, 2016, 02:59:47 PM »
What does Sky run/month?

What programming do they offer for the monthly fee - Tennis, The Open, Sr Open, Women's Open and ?

Do they do weekly football matches the balance of the year?

Cricket (I try and watch the hi-lites on the Cricket Channel - 10 minutes and it loses me)?

Tim Fenchel

« Reply #187 on: July 15, 2016, 03:13:53 PM »
I agree that the GC coverage here in the U.S. has been pretty decent.  A few too many commercials at certain points...overall I'd give it a solid B.  Pretty good balance of characters...I'll admit Tirico has never been my cup of tea. Too much of a Tiger lapdog back in the day for me to get over.

All that being said...The Open without Peter Alliss simply isn't the Open. I could listen to him hours on end.  Over and over again.  No one will ever come close and I am wondering if I've heard him for the last time.  Is there any network, UK, US, radio...anything that he is doing a highlight show for...replays...some review commentary?  I'll take anything at this point.  There just isn't enough of his material on youtube to get me by.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #188 on: July 15, 2016, 04:44:35 PM »
Peter Alliss is on at this very moment on BBC 2 in their 2 hour highlights show of the second round.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #189 on: July 15, 2016, 05:16:04 PM »
I have, surprisingly, quite enjoyed the Sky coverage. Best of all, no Alliss. He's dreadful and should have been put out to pasture years ago
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Matt Dawson

« Reply #190 on: July 15, 2016, 05:21:12 PM »
Re Sky sports coverage and monthly cost, I use NOW TV. They are part of Sky, and offer a pay as you go arrangement where you just buy a viewing pass for  events. So for golf, a weekly pass costs £12 and you can watch as much as you want for 7 days

I watched the U.S. Open this way and am doing the same for the Open now on an iPad. Worth bearing in mind if you don't want to pay the subs every month but just want to catch the majors

Ruediger Meyer

« Reply #191 on: July 15, 2016, 06:28:24 PM »
I have to agree with Adam Lawrence. I think the coverage is terrific this year. I too am glad I don't have to listen to Alliss anymore. They let him go on at least five years too long.

Plus: I'm absolutely not a fan of Ian Poulter but who knew he would be such a terrific color commentator? I hope he goes into broadcasting after his career

Matthew Essig

« Reply #192 on: July 15, 2016, 09:37:05 PM »
I give the Golf Channel a B+!
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2016, 05:49:32 AM »
Perhaps to counter the lack of public access argument, there is an offical free channel here with no adverts.  I only dipped in yesterday (I believe Torrance was was one comentator) but it feautred golf and nothing but golf.  I'm guessing that the agreement with Sky is not to widely publicise this.

http://www.theopen.com/LiveCoverage

Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2016, 06:54:45 AM »
What does Sky run/month?
What programming do they offer for the monthly fee - Tennis, The Open, Sr Open, Women's Open and ?
Do they do weekly football matches the balance of the year?
Cricket (I try and watch the hi-lites on the Cricket Channel - 10 minutes and it loses me)?

You might something here - https://www.sky.com

Atb

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2016, 08:14:55 AM »
Perhaps to counter the lack of public access argument, there is an offical free channel here with no adverts.  I only dipped in yesterday (I believe Torrance was was one comentator) but it feautred golf and nothing but golf.  I'm guessing that the agreement with Sky is not to widely publicise this.

http://www.theopen.com/LiveCoverage

This is probably what I'm watching. Dougie Donnelly is one of the anchor commentators and Torrance is there also.

Says something that I am choosing this over Sky Sports which I already subscribe to.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #196 on: July 16, 2016, 09:57:33 AM »
Re Sky sports coverage and monthly cost, I use NOW TV. They are part of Sky, and offer a pay as you go arrangement where you just buy a viewing pass for  events. So for golf, a weekly pass costs £12 and you can watch as much as you want for 7 days

I watched the U.S. Open this way and am doing the same for the Open now on an iPad. Worth bearing in mind if you don't want to pay the subs every month but just want to catch the majors

Matt,

what does NOW TV cost you per month?

Jon

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #197 on: July 16, 2016, 10:55:14 AM »

Matt,

Jon
You just need to buy the box at roughly £15, then but a pass for the week at £10.99 as you need it or a day pass at £6.99 to get Sky sports.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #198 on: July 16, 2016, 12:48:20 PM »

Matt,

Jon
You just need to buy the box at roughly £15, then but a pass for the week at £10.99 as you need it or a day pass at £6.99 to get Sky sports.

So that's £10.99 for NOW TV weekly pass plus £12 for the golf i.e. £22.99?

Jon

Matt Dawson

« Reply #199 on: July 16, 2016, 01:25:21 PM »

Matt,

Jon

So that's £10.99 for NOW TV weekly pass plus £12 for the golf i.e. £22.99?

Jon

No, it costs you nothing per month and you only pay the £15 for a TV box if you are old school i.e watching it on a TV set.
Just go to NOW TV website to register and buy the pass, and away you go with live streaming. Or download the NOW TV App to iPad, then login & buy the pass and watch it on there

Mr Murdoch should pay me for the free advertising...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back