News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Strulowitz

Wow, what a course.

Enjoyed immensely this photo tour.   Thanks so much for taking the time to share!

K Rafkin

Similar to Benjamin(who seemed to of played before the restoraton) and Jim i got to the opportunity to play Sleepy Hollow for the first time just a couple of weeks ago.  The weather was not quite as perfect as it appears in the pictures above.  We played right around the time of Hurricane Joaquin and the course had gotten quite a bit of rain, but it still played decently F&F.

The course is an absolute blast. 

The one shot holes are absolutely terrific.  Im sure most people would point out that the 10th over the water is the weakest of the bunch which i might agree with, but that doesn't mean i think its a bad hole.  The green is actually a good bit more exciting than it appears from the tee box. 

The downhill reverse redan is a tough hole to do well.  There is a ton of potential for the hole to not be able to play as it was intended due to the added height of a downhill shot, and the shortish distance of the shot especially when it is played with a fade for a righty.  All things being considered the slope on 7 is severe enough to kick balls down toward the hole all day long.  I assume that you can probably just go right at the hole if you want, but where is the fun in that.  I suspect this hole is a good bit of fun for a lefty.

Sleepy Hollow is also a fantastic example that blends two architects work together in a terrific fashion.  No architects work overrides the other.  Some holes are MacDonald some holes are Tillinghast, and it just works. 

The sixth hole is the most confusing of the bunch.  The severe uphill drive onto an upper plateau (that you might not get up to) is necessary to cover some elevation on a dramatic site, however if the wind is into your face and you don't get to the upper plateau your left with a blind shot with a couple of small bunkers nestled into a hillock right where you want to leave your approach.  If i was one of the authors of the upcoming Confidential Guide part 3, I would assign one of those "!?" to the 6th as I'm not quite sure if i love it, hate it, or am confused by it...or all of the above.

I assume Sleepy Hollow doesn't quite get the love it deserves due to the fact that its in such a strong golf saturated area, but when it comes to pure FUN Sleepy Hollow takes first prize.

I can't wait to get back there...

Howard Riefs

Hanse is rebuilding nine green complexes this fall at Sleepy Hollow, according to his Instagram post:

https://instagram.com/p/BLKvRYXAS7O/

Sorry to see that Uncle George is missing out on the project...
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mark McKeever

I can't wait to get back out there and see the work done on the 9 greens!  Wow!  I can remember a couple that didn't quite seem to fit in (10-11), but 9 of them is quite a project!!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

corey miller

I can safely say I speak for Gil as well as members within the club on the restoration "team".  We think of George Bahto every time we move an inch of dirt.  I know by channeling George we continue to channel CB... ;)     

Brett Wiesley

I'm surprised they are redoing the greens at Sleepy Hollow.  I thought the restoration work done previously by Hanse/Bahto was pretty strong.  Was a revisit with more work focused on the greens planned?  Is this a reaction to rankings?  Are there growth issues that just make sense to rework them now?

Mark Greer

Great pics!  I played there a year ago and loved it although my day wasn't nearly as beautiful as yours.

David Davis

This is a wonderful tour! I'm thankful to Jon that I don't have to post any photos.

Late to the game as I often am I finally walked Sleepy Hollow for the first time last Saturday! It's wonderful and must be highly underrated by the rating community not that too many people here care about that.

Sleepy must be a poster-child for the wonders of massive tree removal. 5000+ and counting and post the Hanse renovation what a great walk! Too bad I somehow forgot how the link between my hands, body and clubs worked but hey it's golf and that can happen. Instead I focused on enjoying the company and taking some photos. It was a thrill to play from start to finish. As Jon mentioned loved the reverse Redan, short was an excellent rendition as well as many of the others. Sleepy is another example of a property where the templates really do work wonders and is very high on my list of places I wish to revisit asap.

Anyone else been there recently?
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tom Birkert

I have only been once, in summer 2014. And it absolutely blew me away. I was aware of 16, but I wasn't prepared for how outstanding a lot of the holes were. I am astonished it was not in the World Top 100. I know everything is subjective but - for example - if I had 10 rounds I would play 9 of them here and 1 at Spyglass Hill (and probably walk in after 5 during that round).

I can only imagine the Membership might want to stay under the radar, because this is undoubtedly up there with The Cal Club as the most underrated course I have played in the US.

I would love to return at some point to see the changes which have been made. It looks even better.

Matthew Prince

I think Sleepy is the best course in Westchester County. I haven't seen it yet this season so I have yet to see the new Eden green, thumbprint on 16, and some of the other latest tweaks, but it was already spectacular before these changes and I imagine is only better now. I don't love the first two and last two holes (though the severe land is to blame for this, not the design), but it possesses a handful of truly world class holes, unbelieveable views, and an excellent routing overall. Super fun, challenging, and beautiful.

FWIW, I place Quaker Ridge (home bias noted) and WFE as the next two best in Westchester, followed by WFW. The next group for me would include Fenway, Hudson National and Westchester (West). I've yet to play Wykagyl and Whipporwhill.

Westchester County has an embarrassment of riches but in my view Sleepy stands above the rest.

Steve Lapper

Let me first admit, I'm unequivocally biased, and was a teenage homer for Sleepy Hollow. Across four years, I fought hard for the #1 slot on my High School team and Sleepy was our home course. Back then, of course, it looked nothing like it does today.

As others have already noted, today's Sleepy Hollow is unquestionably and grossly underrated on a comparative basis to many, many other US classic courses. It has earned, and deserves, a much better ranking on EVERY list from all the magazines through to the beloved CG.

Not that rankings really matter, but it's that good that is deserves to replace many lesser courses ahead of it. I'd go as far as to dare say that it challenges, for the throne of Westchester's Best, the usual stalwart favorites to both it's South and North. That's a tough golf-rich neighborhood to stand out in.

Extensive tree removal, green restoration and expansion, newer maintenance practices and mowing lines, a clear unification to the principles of CBM design, Gil's expert skill and vision, and constant TLC has produced a world-class restoration.

The course avoids over-templating with just enough moderation and mix of variety.  It's scale and rolling-topography works to a near-perfect blend of fun, as well as test. It doesn't confront the player with repetition of difficulty like other highly-regarded nearby courses, yet asks just enough strategic execution before yielding many chances to score. I've had to have every shot in my bag working to produce a good round. It's far from easy, but never far from fun.

Perched on hill overlooking the Hudson River, the wind is never far way and the routing exposes it to all four directions, depending on what portion of the course you're on. When the weather permits, fast and firm are the desired ground and green conditions du jour. The walk takes you to all four corners of the property and, although hilly, never feels onerous.

Forget that the club, it's regal clubhouse, it's short course, and it's congenial atmosphere are first-class and often described with adjectives like spectacular. The 18 hole course is the primary attraction and it just doesn't disappoint...period! My personal opinion is that there are few, if any, better parkland courses in the US.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tim Martin

I think Sleepy is the best course in Westchester County. I haven't seen it yet this season so I have yet to see the new Eden green, thumbprint on 16, and some of the other latest tweaks, but it was already spectacular before these changes and I imagine is only better now. I don't love the first two and last two holes (though the severe land is to blame for this, not the design), but it possesses a handful of truly world class holes, unbelieveable views, and an excellent routing overall. Super fun, challenging, and beautiful.

FWIW, I place Quaker Ridge (home bias noted) and WFE as the next two best in Westchester, followed by WFW. The next group for me would include Fenway, Hudson National and Westchester (West). I've yet to play Wykagyl and Whipporwhill.

Westchester County has an embarrassment of riches but in my view Sleepy stands above the rest.

Matt-I like SH 1 and 2 better than 17 and 18. The short par four second takes you to higher ground where most of the golf course is located and the way the Hudson and backdrop reveal itself as you walk up the hill to your tee shot is pretty amazing. That said I certainly think you have a valid case for number one in Westchester County as there are few courses that deliver more compelling holes with a parkland setting as Steve Lapper mentioned. My Westchester Top 10 would be:
1. WFE
2. Sleepy Hollow
3. WFW
4. Quaker Ridge
5. Fenway
6. Century
7. Westchester West
8. Whippoorwill
9. Wykagyl
10. Metropolis

Stewart Abramson

Re: Sleepy Hollow Country Club - A Photo Tour and Architectural Appreciation
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2018, 04:38:51 PM »
I grew up about a mile from Sleepy and went to Sleepy Hollow High. I didn't pick up golf until more than 20 years after that but am lucky to get to play the course every year with a good high school friend who was #1 on the High School team and  whose family have been members for more than 50 years. The amazing thing (to me) is that the course is still changing every year. The green expansions have been significant. Several of them now rival Old Mac greens in size and complexity. Since last year #1 has a new mini alp mound that influences approach shots, a new left fairway bunker, trees removed between #1 and #18 and a bigger green. I love the course but wonder at what point will it be finished or will it be like Donald Ross at Pinehurst #2 with almost ever- continuing evolution.

Steve Lapper, where did you go to school?

Tim Martin - I like your list. If I had one it would be close to yours sans Fenway as  I haven't played there.

I don't photograph the course every year, but here are links to some form three points in time including a couple weeks ago:

[size=78%]https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157700100727845[/size]   Sleepy 2018

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157634369071026  Sleepy 2013

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157631862204690 Sleepy 2008

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back