News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

Re: West Sussex aka Pulborough - photo tour
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 09:08:02 PM »
The 16th is a shortish par four 369/358 that doglegs slightly to the right.  The tee shot is mostly blind.  The fairway ends at about 270 yds from the back tee.

The approach plays across a little valley to a bunkerless green. The green is protected by two large, heather covered mounds.  I wish I had a few more photos, but my short approach left ended up in the heather and I spent some time locating the ball. 

A look back at the 16th green and fairway from the 8th tee.

Also a slight dogleg right, the 17th is a much longer par four 440/431.  The tee shot is across a small valley.  You need a tee shot of about 250 to get past the bunkers on the right.  There is a third bunker there past the two visible in the photo.

This photo is from the right side of the fairway.  The bunkers on the right begin about 70 yards from the green and go all the way up to the right side of the green.

This is probably the flattest green on the course.

West Sussex ends on a tough driving par four 414/404.  There are bunkers on both sides of the fairway at about 230 yds from the tee and then more bunkers up ahead on the right.  This is back to the flattest part of the course and you can barely see the bunkers from the tee.

There are bunkers on both sides of the green and another small one about 20 yards short, meaning a ground approach must be precise.

The clubhouse looks so inviting at the end of the round.  Sorry the photo isn't better.

The 18th green from the first tee.

Ran's profile of West Sussex begins with the line "Charm - this course has it like few others."  I have to wholeheartedly agree.  It's a beautiful course to walk and one that requires all sorts of shots.  A perfect introduction to English golf.  I strongly recommend it.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 04:34:56 PM »
I just made my first visit to West Sussex, Addington & Royal Ashdown Forest.

I played 36 at Pulborough and would be lying if I named any other heathland course as better. I thought it an absolute star.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 09:26:09 PM »
I think you're too kind about the photos, Brian.  But thanks.  As many pictures as I take, I should try getting better at it.  They are good for reminding me of some details I forget.   I really hope it's not too long before I see this course again.

Scott Warren

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 10:07:57 PM »
Speaking of details you forget - I had no memory of the 16th hole when I went through the tour just now. None at all. Bizarre.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 05:51:53 AM »
These are some really lovely photos. Great tour, John and thanks for the bump, Ally. Curious to hear your thoughts on Royal Ashdown forest.

Brian,

If I can get round to doing a proper analysis I will…

I loved Royal Ashdown Forest – It was so natural, used the heather and streams perfectly as features in lieu of bunkers and had quite a few unquestionably great holes. There were – of course – some negatives. It was very tight from the tee with some of the fairway cambers being a little severe and some of the carries incredibly long. And there was a lot of climbing. The few downhill holes (5, 11, 12, 17) had such elevation drops that the rest of the course was essentially uphill…

Last night I checked Tom’s Confidential Guide for how he rated the three courses I saw (Addington, West Sussex, Royal Ashdown Forest)… He gave all three a 7…. Based on my opinions from the weekend only, that sounds about the right average although I’d maybe go:

West Sussex – 8
Royal Ashdown Forest – 7
Addington - 6

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2013, 06:31:15 AM »
Brian - you will probably fall into one of their country categories which are quite generous. The beauty of Pulborough is also its downfall - it's really out of the way.
Cave Nil Vino

Philip Gawith

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2013, 08:22:19 AM »
When I played Pulborough my strongest impression was that it had a look all unto itself, as much Sandbelt as heathland? And that was mostly because of the bunker aesthetic with those sharp edges. Did others also see some of this look or was it just my imagination?

Philip

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 09:32:08 AM »
When I played Pulborough my strongest impression was that it had a look all unto itself, as much Sandbelt as heathland? And that was mostly because of the bunker aesthetic with those sharp edges. Did others also see some of this look or was it just my imagination?

Philip

Completely agree Philip... A few examples:

3rd Hole Tee Shot:

4th Hole Approach:

5th Hole Tee Shot:

8th Hole Tee Shot:

13th Hole Tee Shot:

13th Hole Approach:

17th Hole Tee Shot:

Paul_Turner

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2013, 07:15:52 AM »
There's a great vintage aerial shot of the course in the clubhouse and the original bunkers were a bit different, really eccentric in places.  I think much of the "Sandbelt" look is courtesy of Donald Steel....the bunkers on the inside of the 10th for example.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2018, 06:57:28 PM »
Has anyone played West Sussex this year.  This thread is quite old and I'm wondering about the conditions?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2018, 08:44:01 AM »
When I lived in the UK I was told that the bunker sand for most of the heathland courses came out of a quarry very close to Pulborough.  As in the Sand Belt, perfect sand might have something to do with the sharp lips on the bunkers [and their likelihood of staying that way over time].

I'm curious about the story that the 6th was originally a par 4 from a different tee.  There is really no room to make it any longer without going back into the current 17th fairway, and I've never heard that the routing was changed significantly.  I suppose the tee could have been right behind #5 green [there is a narrow clearing]; that would have made the hole either a button-hook around the pond, or else the green might have been in a different spot, too.  It is a wonderful golf hole but it kind of makes sense that it evolved rather than someone just building it that way, especially in the 1920's.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2018, 10:33:11 AM »
Ally, what's so neat and appealing about the photos you posted is how most of the bunkers gather in -- or appear to be on the verge of gathering in -- the less than ideal golf shot. I'm guessing they aren't in fact aren't as dangerous as they look (e.g. there's room to the right of that bunker on #4) but visually they are quite thrilling, and would keep at least this golfer quite on edge throughout the round!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 10:45:03 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back