News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daniel Jones

Re: Living the Dream: A Six Months Caddying Sabbatical
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2015, 08:39:11 AM »
Dornoch, hands down... Though something tells me 6 months would turn into 6 years (or longer).

Jim Tang

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2015, 09:19:54 AM »
Dornoch or Bandon.  Both places are magical.

Wherever you end up, consider the climate and terrain of the club.  Remember, this is a job, a very physical job.  Scorching temperatures and high winds can batter your body over a long period of time.  As as teacher, I used to loop at several private clubs from May to September.  My body took a beating.  Invest in top tier sunglasses, rain gear and footwear. 

Caddying is a great job, a fantastic way to slow down and simplify your life.  I look back on my summers as an adult looper fondly. 

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2015, 10:37:28 AM »
Daniel how long is the caddy earning season in Dormoch? I cannot imagine there is much work in early April or late October.
Cave Nil Vino

Bill_McBride

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2015, 07:24:43 PM »
Matt - not sure why golfers would treat caddies better in Scotland or Ireland, 99% of the golfers will be Americans so unless they've taken a holiday chill pill there should be no difference.

Now the way to make money is to forecaddie, most golfers don't need s caddie, they are just being lazy, especially with trollies and electrics trollies everywhere. What guys want is someone to show them the lines, read putts, hold flag, etc and tell them a few stories about the links/club. Charge players £15 each and that's a nice little non-backbreaking earner. I'd pay that in Scotland but certainly don't pay £50-60 for someone to carry my bag.

My nephew makes a decent living as a looper in Scottsdale in winter and Castle Pines in summer, and hasn't carried a bag in years. 

V. Kmetz

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2015, 01:17:27 AM »
Hello again,

Having seen a volume of responses besides my own, and seeing where the thread was and where it has meandered, I'm inclined to say, to MH and all, that the most important emotional element of realizing this ambition is the desire to give people a better day at a place than they might have, without you... when this is joined with the delight, the reverie of golf as the "reason" for the engagement, you have a person emotionally suited to doing a stretch as a seasonal caddie.

MH contacted me privately when I made my first post, and we discussed the taking of "vicarious" pleasure in just the sheer conduct of golf;  that, for my part, one reason I don't play much anymore is because that "Jones" is quelled by the direct engagement of 80 or 100 rounds of golf per year, times multiple players...I literally see 50,000 shots played a year, and am intimately involved in like 10,000 of them...multiplied by some 30+ years at this, and I mean what I say when I issue the cliche, "I've seen it 1000 times.," and so, even more amazed (but truthful) when I utter the other end of the cliche, "I've never seen that before."

Do you know how lucky I am, to have worked at this and loved golf? I've seen 31 aces, thousands of impossible bunker shots, scores and scores of improbable putts from beyond 50 feet, the lowest, best rounds of like 100 peoples' lives, more match reversals than Dan Jenkins, HW Wind and Darwin could account for in their combined oeuvres....as many different types and styles of play and swings that are known in the universe...incredible stuff...and that is before the reverence for the locii of golf-- the architecture, the traditions, the rules, the great players...

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2015, 05:49:57 AM »
I'd suggest Ireland (Lahinch) or Scotland (St Andrews). 

Don't go to The Hamptons, unless you're after a social experiment.

I heard about an American chap who is caddying in China- staying in the dorm rooms with the other caddies etc. Tough yakka but one way of learning Chinese...   

@Pure_Golf

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2015, 08:05:42 AM »
Something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the ability to actually get a job caddying.  Kind of like playing top tier private courses isn't a problem for some maybe getting a job at a great club won't be a problem either.  In both situations I figure it's about who you know.

When I was in LA I made calls/sent e-mails/filled out applications at Riviera, LACC, Wilshire and Bel-Air on multiple occasions over four years.  Never got a job.

VK I've only taken a caddy a handful of times but know I've never had a caddy that has the same perspective on the job as you do.  I also figure there have to be days as a caddy even you don't feel so lucky.  You allude to the things you miss out on but figure there are worse experiences.  Someone who would be caddying as part of a dream will clearly have a different experience/perspective in their six months than you have had in 30+ years.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2015, 10:14:00 AM »
Hiya,

JT, I cannot deny that to secure a post in a top-tier area/ or club, it helps immeasurably to "know somebody." However, my experience is that the best type of reference for a "cold-call" of the sort you were referencing in your LA time, is to have letter(s) of reference from some authoritative source nearer your home...a club president, a former caddiemaster, a home pro, an industry figure of note.

And you know how you get those? By being a competent caddie for some measurable stint in the "minors" first. That is the 800 lb context gorilla in the room in making this attainable desire into a reality.

Even with a superb background in golf, an able body, and a long-ago history as a caddie working your way through college (or caddying for a few good amateurs/pro buddies in tournaments) you are not going to hop off the couch and just start pitching in the major leagues at a place with brisk business. How the hell does one know if you are going to be worth the trouble?

One ad-hoc function I perform besides looping at WF (where I only make 25-35 of my annual 80-100 loops) is occasionally helping the caddiemaster, nearly a career-long personal friend of mine, screen the 10-20 inquiries he gets from afar...ever year he gets "resumes" from GBI and Europe, other great courses in the States, etc. We both look at these things, and see so many that are "thin" - just perfunctory...a guy you can almost hear the applicant saying, "Hey that would be cool to caddie at WF...I hear they pay good..." when they don't realize he really calls these places up and talks for a half hour on the phone or several emails.... Knows the great roster of courses and noted caddie programs, where his members play elsewhere, and asks about their experiences at club X where the app is coming from, whether that member thought the caddie program there is any good at all, etc.

I admit that potentiates really have to "hunt" him down, but that's the way he wants it; and in all but in one case did the doggedness with which he and WF were pursued by Candidate X make the final call on a new guy, who had otherwise competent credentials.

I'm pleased that you see my attitude towards the job as rare, because I think it is; yet along the way, I find that the most able of caddies I've served with had some central holding just like it...we like the game and we like the people who like the game enough to share it with us for sustenance.

But I fairly conscious of why that is, and how exactly I arrived at this disposition. And yes, there are times when I don't feel so lucky, and its usually on the way to the club, or leaving it...and I'm thinking about money woes and loop money that's already spent...rarely on the course itself. I have never rejected the investment of a person wanting to have a good day, but I occasionally have either failed or turned into a silent bag-toter to a man that could or would not be reached. As I advance in years, I'm not so eager for the odd novice who picks up at 9 on every hole as I may have been...and I caddie less and less for 50-80 year old women, so I do not become discouraged (that's one allowance my veteran status affords me).

Oh yes, and the second loop on the three (3) holiday Mondays (Mem. Day, 4th of July, Labor Day) is chasing carts for 6-somes, 3 husband-wife pairs, sometimes playing with an opposite spouse, Pinehurst, 1 gross and 3 net prizes, by 6-some, and by pairs, so every hole must have a result...in recent years my tolerance has gone way down for this by the 7th hole of the day.  Last year it started to rain on our 5th hole of the shotgun...I had them in the clubhouse with two atomic-stiff drinks in their hand before they could even say the word, "Umbrella..."

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

archie_struthers

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2015, 08:08:17 AM »
  8) ;D

Pine Valley ...Jersey Shore in summer was pretty hard to beat .  Particularly at age 18-23

If you caddy at a place without the same members every day it's really a blessing . They need you more

Carl Nichols

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2015, 01:56:08 PM »
Does Yeamans Hall have a significant caddie program?  If so, living in Charleston or near one of the beaches would probably satisfy the other criteria you listed.

SL_Solow

« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2015, 05:31:56 PM »
If you want a great city where there are plenty of clubs employing caddies, you can do worse than Chicago.  Lake Michigan is nice in the summer, restaurant and music scene is great and all the clubs have vibrant caddy programs.  I concede that it isn't Dornoch but its pretty good.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2015, 09:57:41 AM »
Fantastic thoughts, gentlemen.  I hoped you've enjoyed the thread as well. 

I'm thinking the Mrs. and I will visit Dornoch next year for a scouting trip.  It's the clear front-runner.

Many thanks,

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

archie_struthers

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2015, 10:40:38 AM »
 :D ;D

Good luck Michael , sounds like a great adventure!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2015, 01:26:37 PM »
Fantastic thoughts, gentlemen.  I hoped you've enjoyed the thread as well. 

I'm thinking the Mrs. and I will visit Dornoch next year for a scouting trip.  It's the clear front-runner.

Many thanks,

Mike

Michael,

For all things Dornoch do speak to David Tepper.

Bob

David_Tepper

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2015, 01:45:32 PM »
"For all things Dornoch do speak to David Tepper"

Bob H. -

Some things maybe, but certainly not all things. ;)

DT

PThomas

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2015, 01:51:44 PM »
I'm thinking as a general matter golfers treat caddies better in Ireland and Scotland than at the US resort courses.

Does Lahinch have a caddy program?  Or a rota of Muirfield, N Berwick, Gullane, Renaissance?

after playing Lahinch I thought it would be quite a cool place to retire /work part time
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2015, 02:09:13 PM »
Brentwood CC up the street from Riviera had a walk up caddy program and many of the adult age caddies worked at Riviera and LACC, Bel Aire etc.
Great area to live and great weather.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2015, 07:25:43 PM »
Hasn't gca'er Stan Dodd caddied both at CPC and Dornoch?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

David_Tepper

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2015, 08:40:16 PM »
Pete L. -

Don't know about CPC, but Stan D. has caddied many, many times at Dornoch.

DT

J_ Crisham

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2015, 08:46:20 PM »
Does Yeamans Hall have a significant caddie program?  If so, living in Charleston or near one of the beaches would probably satisfy the other criteria you listed.
    There are no caddies at YHC. You can carry your own, a pull cart or ride.

David Bartman

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2015, 08:51:50 PM »
Melbourne Sandbelt
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2015, 11:50:27 PM »

No, Yeamans Hall has no caddies... but, The Ocean Course at Kiawah does and the course is walking only in the mornings.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

BCowan

« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2016, 09:08:14 PM »
Mr Bogey,

How was the Caddy sabbatical?  Was Dornoch the course?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2016, 10:26:23 PM »
Mr Bogey,

How was the Caddy sabbatical?  Was Dornoch the course?

Sorry but the only place Micheal H. caddied was at Chipolte. In other words he stalked the stalls with his thumb firmly planted on the 911 speed dial.

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2016, 02:24:31 AM »
stay in Nairn and mix it up between it and castle Stuart. gateway to the highlands and an easy trip up to Dornoch. Doesn't get dark till about 2200 so plenty of time for work and play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back