News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

AChao

Best Golf in Montana
« on: May 10, 2016, 08:25:59 PM »
Hi All,

I've been invited by a friend to play at The Yellowstone Club and was hoping to play a few other courses on this trip.  What do you think are the best and worth playing in Montana somewhat near Bozeman?

My list so far is:
Yellowstone Club
Reserve at Moonlight Basin
Rock Creek Cattle Co.

Is Stock Farm worth the drive out if I can get a tee time?  Any others?  Thanks for any info!

Blake Conant

Re: Best Golf in Montana
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 08:43:37 PM »
Old Works in Anaconda
Canyon River in Missoula is OK
Glacier View Golf Club in Columbia Falls has sweet views
I've heard Jawbone Creek in HArlowtown is sort of funky.
Waterton Lakes just north of Montana in Canada is supposed to be pretty ridiculous for views as well.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 08:44:09 PM »
RCCC is the best I've seen.  Old Works has a pretty good front nine.  Get some advice for your game about how to play 10 & 11, specifically the tee shot at 10 and the second shot at 11.  Those first two can make one look foolish.  After that, it's pretty straightforward and a bit of a letdown.  Old Works is quite near RCCC. 

Dave McCollum

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 08:49:32 PM »
Oh, and another Old Works tip:  practice in the slag bunkers beforehand.  Requires a different technique, at least it did for me. 

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 09:15:40 PM »
Rock Creek x10

Huntsman Springs is also really good (way better than I thought it would be) and is somewhat near by just over the border in Idaho.       
H.P.S.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 10:45:25 PM »
I would have liked to have seen Montana...
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 11:33:09 PM »
Rock Creek alone is worth the trip from just about anywhere...its that good. 

If travelling thru Missoula, Canyon River is certainly worth a look.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 08:30:48 AM »
AChao:

If you get up toward Glacier National Park, I've heard very good reports about The Wilderness Club, in Eureka.  We have it as a 6 in the upcoming Confidential Guide, based on Darius' visit ... better than Yellowstone Club or Old Works.  I never did get over to Stock Farm while we were building Rock Creek; it's not that far except there are some mountains in the way!

JJShanley

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 09:10:17 AM »
Has anyone else played the Big Sky Resort course?  I'd two games there in 2006 while running a conference there.  I hadn't played much since moving to the u.s. the previous December and was desperate for a game.  First and only tines I've seen bros tossing the pigskin after holing a putt.

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 10:04:41 AM »
Stock Farm is definitely worth a visit.   Above average Fazio on a pretty cool piece of terrain. 

Jason Topp

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 10:37:40 AM »
Has anyone else played the Big Sky Resort course?  I'd two games there in 2006 while running a conference there.  I hadn't played much since moving to the u.s. the previous December and was desperate for a game.  First and only tines I've seen bros tossing the pigskin after holing a putt.

I played it in 1986.  No idea whether or not it has changed.  At the time, it was not real noteworthy with a fair amount of housing.  Nonetheless it was a pleasant round of golf.

I did make a pretty lengthy drive to play Old Works about 10 years ago.  My guess is that it is about a Doak 5. 

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 02:02:54 PM »
Ran, forgive me for popping in but I just had to offer my tuppence worth. If playing Yellowstone and Moonlight Basin you should also add Spanish Peaks (Weiskopf) to your list. IMHO, you will not find three more scenic, solid courses all within 30 minutes of each other. The Wilderness Club, albeit a little out of the way is another wonderful selection. Your blood pressure will be lowered automatically playing any of these courses. Enjoy.  Aidan.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 09:15:14 AM »
Rock Creek x10

Huntsman Springs is also really good (way better than I thought it would be) and is somewhat near by just over the border in Idaho.     

Just how close is Huntsman Springs to RCCC? My sister lives in Driggs and I might have to go visit if it is reasonably close.

And RCCC is, as Kalen says, worth the trip alone.
Mr Hurricane

Daryl David

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 11:49:40 AM »
Rock Creek x10

Just how close is Huntsman Springs to RCCC? My sister lives in Driggs and I might have to go visit if it is reasonably close.

4.5 to 5 hour drive. 

Brad Tufts

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 11:58:29 AM »
Huntsman, 1 hr. drive around GTeton, then Shooting Star (or vice-versa) is a great day!

Driggs is a mormon town, so I happened to play it on a Sunday afternoon and found it completely empty.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 12:03:32 PM »
Driggs aka Huntsman Springs is much more of "when passing thru Salt Lake City" kinda gig.

Its just under 4 hours from SLC international...but would certainly agree that unless you're willing to fly into a small airport like Idaho Falls, its fairly remote to just about everywhere.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 12:05:04 PM by Kalen Braley »

Ben Malach

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 01:06:20 PM »
I can only speak to Waterton. Which is a really good course that with a little money could punch with some of the top in Alberta. I hope to get down there this summer while home in Alberta.
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

AChao

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 01:21:34 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!  I may need to extend this trip somehow  :)

PCCraig

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 03:07:58 PM »
Rock Creek x10

Well, pretty much everything is a 2hr drive in "Big Sky" country. As Brad points out above, if you are anywhere near Yellowstone and/or Jackson Hole, Huntsman Springs is just a very scenic drive around the Tetons from there. As I said before, Huntsman Springs is a very underrated golf course...I thought it was a lot of fun and pictures don't do the scenery justice.

We went from Grand Teton National Park (we stayed at the Jackson Lake Lodge which was incredible) to Huntsman Springs, then over to Yellowstone (we stayed at the Old Faithful Inn, which was also incredible) before heading up to Big Sky for a wedding. I made the drive to Rock Creek the day/morning of the wedding, playing and making it back to Big Sky by 4pm.

It's an incredible part of the country. You can see some awesome natural sights as well as get in some great golf if you're willing to spend some time in the car.
H.P.S.

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 12:53:50 PM »
Butte Country Club :)
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Sean Leary

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 10:54:03 AM »
Stock Farm is definitely worth a visit.   Above average Fazio on a pretty cool piece of terrain.

Yup. Very good golf course and an awesome "place".

Steve Sayre

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 09:40:12 PM »
Another vote for Stock Farm in Hamilton. Great Fazio golf and a fantastic log clubhouse with eye-popping mountain views and loaded with authentic Western art thanks to the exquisite acquisition taste and checkbook of the Schwab family, Chuck being the owner/founder of the club. A really special place to visit. Don't know how easy/hard to get on the property.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 10:26:52 PM »
The drive from Big Sky to Missoula is going to take 4 1/2 hours...and then it's another 45 minutes to Hamilton and the Stock Farm....RCCC is about 2 1/2 hr...closer to Big Sky. It's a slog from Big Sky to the Interstate...the road winds along the Gallatin River...and I do mean winds! But once on the Interstate the driving is good...only one pass to go over and a bit of a slow down to drive through Butte.  Always tons of road construction in Montana during the summer...so check with MTDOT on that.

Big Sky to Driggs, ID is 2 1/2 hours and not exactly Interstate driving...145 miles...roughly. 

Most of the people replying have no idea...none.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2016, 10:37:03 PM »
Old Works in Anaconda
Canyon River in Missoula is OK
Glacier View Golf Club in Columbia Falls has sweet views
I've heard Jawbone Creek in HArlowtown is sort of funky.
Waterton Lakes just north of Montana in Canada is supposed to be pretty ridiculous for views as well.

If you like windy golf, then Jawbone could be your ticket. :D
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,62391.msg1483985.html#msg1483985

Located just off US highway 12, sorta like some other course we've heard about. ;D

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

AChao

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 02:06:25 PM »
Thanks everyone for excellent suggestions!

Looks like I have fore sure ...

Yellowstone, Moonlight Basin, Spanish Peaks.  Hopefully, Rock Creek Cattle comes through ... still looking into Stock Farm.  Unfortunately, I can't / don't have enough time to go to Wilderness Club and some others that are farther away.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back