News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank Pont

Re: Architecture Week - who do you want to hear from?
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2015, 02:31:48 PM »

I’d also nominate Frank Pont and Patrice Boissonnas for a perspective on restorations/renovations/new courses in Europe. 

I wouldn't hold your breath..... "Where is Europe, is that past England somewhere... ?"

John Connolly

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2015, 03:41:19 PM »
After what I just experienced playing Cal Club of San Fran, I'd love to hear from Kyle Phillips. That place is just unbelievable.
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Ryan Coles

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2015, 08:06:36 PM »
DMK. Positive things happen to positive people.

Good for him.

Jason Way

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2015, 11:52:22 PM »
It should be relatively clear by now that I am a proponent of getting more GCA coverage on TV, and I think that Matt Ginella is doing great work in trying to champion that programming.

That being said, this second Architects Week seems to really be falling flat to me thus far.  Bill Coore dropped off the schedule, and now two "reruns" with David McLay Kidd.  We get Mike DeVries tomorrow, which is great, but he is the only newcomer.  Not terribly compelling.

What is perhaps an even bigger disappointment to me though is that they are staying in the studio again this year, when there is a continuing revolution going on in the field.  At Sand Valley, Cabot, Forest Dunes, Streamsong, Rio, Barnbougle, at classic courses around the country, and even at Trump Doral, the action is in the field. 

I watched this 15 minute video documenting the building of Lost Farm from Keith Rhebb recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axvoDCAjUyU and I was more inspired about architecture than 15 hours of interviews could likely make me. 

I'm interested to see how the rest of the week goes, and I will keep waving the flag because I think it matters.  But I was curious to know, am I the only one having this reaction so far?
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Jud_T

Re: Architecture Week - who do you want to hear from? New
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2015, 10:46:46 AM »
Pretty cool to see pictures of Kingsley on the Golf Channel, not to mention Matt G. referring to it as "possibly the most underrated golf course in America". DeVries cleans up pretty well compared to that maniac with hickories and a mop of unruly hair stuffed into a floppy hat I saw last fall... 8)

Quote of the day:  "I'm dedicated to getting the details right"...

Spoiler Alert- Cape Wickham looks ridiculously good...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:01:29 AM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back