News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stephen Pellegrino

The Country Club as a potential Olympic site in 2024
« on: January 21, 2015, 05:33:29 PM »
The Boston 2024 organizers are evidently proposing TCC as their golf venue for the 2024 Olympics. Looks like Gil Hanse has an opportunity to be involved with two Olympic venues...

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/boston-2024-olympics-bid-presentation-documents-informataion/related/

Benjamin Litman

Re: The Country Club as a potential Olympic site in 2024
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 05:38:49 PM »
Unless the IOC comes to its senses after next year and limits the event to amateurs, I can't imagine anything that would make Mr. Ouimet roll over more in his grave...
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 06:06:23 PM »
Why would Ouimet roll over in his grave?

TCC has hosted the pros before, including a full-field US Open in 1988 and a Ryder Cup in 1999.

Ouimet was well-known for being "for golf" more than anything his entire life...so I think he would be proud for TCC to host the first US Olympic golf in 120 years.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 06:32:31 PM »
One would surmise that the club can host a big event!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 06:49:28 PM »
Fair points, Brad, and I don't claim to be a Ouimet historian, but if he was truly the Father of Amateur Golf, I'm sure he would have viewed the Olympics, long heralded as the premier showcase for amateur athletics, as the ideal platform for his passion--and therefore would have been at least somewhat disappointed to see that platform transformed into another professional tournament on a course where his amateur status was put into sharpest relief.
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 07:36:19 PM »
Olympic gold will likely be a colossal dud, especially since the pros will play (under a form of duress) and because they're supposed to go with stroke play. But maybe us archie hobbyists will enjoy Gil's Rio routing and maybe the other venues will be inspirational. A guy can hope, after all.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Chris Kane

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 11:19:42 PM »
Would Olympic golf really be enhanced by restricting it to amateurs, which would make it a de facto u/21 tournament with barely any players who are legitimately in the top 1000 golfers in the world?

The amateur ideal which Benjamin talks about is an utter anachronism, and the Olympics would be completely irrelevant if it were still an amateur event. The world has moved on from a century ago. And if Ouimet were alive today he would have turned pro. 

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 05:11:45 AM »
Unless the IOC comes to its senses after next year and limits the event to amateurs, I can't imagine anything that would make Mr. Ouimet roll over more in his grave...

I have no idea why people keep raising the idea of limiting Olympic golf to amateurs. Does anyone really believe it is conceivable that golf would have been accepted into the Games if the proposition was to have people no-one had ever heard of playing for the medals?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Adam Warren

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 08:51:22 AM »
I know we all like speaking in the hypothetical realm, but I can't imagine a scenario where Boston gets this Olympics.  They just aren't set up to host an event of this magnitude.  I don't care if they have 10 years to prepare.  Boston is not a good location.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 09:28:10 AM »
If Athens and Rio made the cut, there's no reason to think Boston wouldn't. Boston could host the Olympics this summer and be better prepared than either of those hosts. Given the politics behind the selection, it's impossible to know which way the decision will go. Boston might not be the best choice, but it's a hell of a lot better than venues that have been chosen in the past.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 03:03:00 PM »
I don't much care who plays (pro or am) or where it is (TCC or TPC), but for the love of god, please make it match play.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Mark McKeever

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 04:21:29 PM »
I don't much care who plays (pro or am) or where it is (TCC or TPC), but for the love of god, please make it match play.

+1000
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 05:05:06 PM »
Would Olympic golf really be enhanced by restricting it to amateurs, which would make it a de facto u/21 tournament with barely any players who are legitimately in the top 1000 golfers in the world?

The amateur ideal which Benjamin talks about is an utter anachronism, and the Olympics would be completely irrelevant if it were still an amateur event. The world has moved on from a century ago. And if Ouimet were alive today he would have turned pro. 

Chris,

Sounds like you have never been to a Walker Cup. Much better than the Ryder or Presidents, IMO. But, I would be inclined to ban professional golf if made King, so you probably won't agree with me.
Tim Weiman

Adam Warren

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 05:19:18 PM »
If Athens and Rio made the cut, there's no reason to think Boston wouldn't. Boston could host the Olympics this summer and be better prepared than either of those hosts. Given the politics behind the selection, it's impossible to know which way the decision will go. Boston might not be the best choice, but it's a hell of a lot better than venues that have been chosen in the past.
I see your point, but from a social standpoint I think you would agree most of Athens and Rio for the most part are open, receptive, and happy to have the world in their city to host the Olympics.  I'm not trying to offend here, but I just don't think Bostonians for the most part would be as receptive to having the world in their city.  Couple that in with the way Boston is set up, and I just don't know if I can see it.  Willing hosts will be crucial, and Bostonians aren't always known for their hospitality.  I have a good friend from the area, have been there a couple times, and have met a number of nice people from Boston, but I am doubting they are happy about the prospect of an Olympics in their town. Maybe I'm way off here.

Chris Kane

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 05:37:36 PM »
Chris,

Sounds like you have never been to a Walker Cup. Much better than the Ryder or Presidents, IMO. But, I would be inclined to ban professional golf if made King, so you probably won't agree with me.
Tim, with very few exceptions the players turn professional afterwards!

I haven't been to a Walker Cup, but quite enjoyed it on television. Is it really the "amateur" thing which elevates the tournament (hardly any of the players are what you would define as a true amateur anyhow), or the fact it is played at spectacular courses in front of a genteel crowd?

Mark Steffey

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 05:44:35 PM »
....... I have a good friend from the area, have been there a couple times, and have met a number of nice people from Boston, but I am doubting they are happy about the prospect of an Olympics in their town. Maybe I'm way off here.

if they hold the golf at george wright or ponky and put a couple million in either of those, i'm good.  if they are going to tcc, i'm out  :P

Mike_Young

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 07:21:59 PM »
Why???
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Charlie Ray

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 07:52:43 PM »
2 points/questions

1-who/why/where/how did 72 hole stroke play become the standard.  (TV, which had a play in it,   which makes zero sense because Jimmy Walker up by 7 strokes with an hour and half of viewing doesn't make for the best television)    I am asking for a link more than an opinion.

2.  Why do the Olympics embrace professionals, although the truth to their bylaws shoves it under the rug?  Yes we all know its   MONEY      Tiger and Rory vs. Juan Filappe & Philippe Suarez!!!  http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/22/opinion/greene-olympics-amateurs/

Olympic Golf, what a waste...    especially for architecture.      We on GCA would go bonkers discussing the merits of an alternate shot, team, Walker Cup format,  because the features of the course would be discussed,     but it will deflate itself to Bubba vs Sergio vs Martin vs Singh and commentary about swing speeds and launch angles, mirroring the reality that US weekly, the Sun and other garbage outsells great periodicals like The Economist, Wired, etc)    Maybe FOX will win the American broadcasting rites over NBC and then we will have something unique to say.

Nobody is listening but,  IOC please do something creative.  Even if it means going back to the historical roots of your institution.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:06:08 PM by Charlie Ray »

Tim Martin

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 08:01:27 PM »
I see your point, but from a social standpoint I think you would agree most of Athens and Rio for the most part are open, receptive, and happy to have the world in their city to host the Olympics.  I'm not trying to offend here, but I just don't think Bostonians for the most part would be as receptive to having the world in their city.  Couple that in with the way Boston is set up, and I just don't know if I can see it.  Willing hosts will be crucial, and Bostonians aren't always known for their hospitality.  I have a good friend from the area, have been there a couple times, and have met a number of nice people from Boston, but I am doubting they are happy about the prospect of an Olympics in their town. Maybe I'm way off here.

Adam-I have to say that I marveled at the ignorance of your post when I read it. A couple of visits to Boston qualifies you to make those statements? Come on man you have to be kidding right? ::)

Charlie Ray

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 08:12:07 PM »
Tim,
Unfortunately perceptions are perceptions and Bostonian's aren't known for their hospitality,,,  sorry, just a southerner chiming in.  You can shoot back with all the SEC superiority football stuff if you wish.  We are becoming equally arrogant.

Tim Martin

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 08:22:16 PM »
Tim,
Unfortunately perceptions are perceptions and Bostonian's aren't known for their hospitality,,,  sorry, just a southerner chiming in.  You can shoot back with all the SEC superiority football stuff if you wish.  We are becoming equally arrogant.

The only people that I have seen treated with disdain are those that are sporting Yankee and Giants swag. That's how you get the "Bronx Cheer" in Beantown. ;)

jim_lewis

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 09:15:34 PM »
The fans in Boston demonstrated at the Ryder Cup that they don't know how to act at an international event. Heaven help us if they were to host a world-wide event.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Brad Tufts

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 01:48:13 AM »
TCC in 2024 or not has turned into "Bostonians hate others"? Get a grip fellas.  Comparing southern hospitality with that of any northeastern city is ludicrous.  It's the same as "perceptions are perceptions, but Boston isn't known for its warm year-round weather."

Boston's people being hospitable has nothing to do with getting the Olympics...the effort so far has been mostly a private venture...much to the chagrin of the local (small but vocal) anti-Olympics group.

How close are we to turning this into deflated football talk?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:59:14 AM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

jim_lewis

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 07:43:07 AM »
Hi Brad:

I agree with a couple of your points. It is ridiculous to compare Southern hospitality with that of any Northeastern city, and hospitality has nothing to do with getting the Olympics.

Actually I am not referring to "hospitality". I prefer to think in terms of good manners and politeness.

When I attended the 1988 US Open at The Country Club, I witnessed the rudest behavior by a gallery I had ever seen, up to that time. Then the gallery took it to another level in the 1999 Ryder Cup. Of course, the NY fans were not to be outdone as judged by their behavior at Shennecock and Bethpage.

I am a hockey fan, and I like rowdy, boisterous hockey fans. Golf is not hockey. Some of the fan behavior(and the fans themselves) at those events would have been appropriate for a hockey game, not a golf tournament. In my opinion, that sort of "bad manners" is embarrassing to the game and to most American fans of golf, at least old farts like me.

The Olympics have evolved into highly nationalistic events, much as the Ryder Cup has. I fear that with competitors from countries all over the world, golf at the Olympics will be much like the boxing events.

Jim
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 09:11:59 AM »
Tim,

And the south has a pretty solid reputation for racism, but that didn't prevent the Olympics from going to Atlanta. If the selection is going to be based on the personalities of the locals, we ought to just hold every Olympics in Ireland.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back