News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Golf Architecture Magazine
« on: January 31, 2015, 11:24:34 AM »
Over the past few years I've pretty much stopped reading the American golf magazines.  Too much fluff, contradictory instructional articles, equipment babble, and not enough about our playing fields. 

I just read through the latest on line edition of Golf Architecture, the UK-based magazine edited by Adam Lawrence.  It's entirely focused on golf design, construction and maintenance, and is truly worldwide in scope.  This edition has articles on the state of golf in China, Jeff Mingay's restoration of  Macan's "volcano" hole at Fircrest, and golf in France.  Lots of beautiful photography and excellent writing.

I don't know how many GCAers are subscribers but it's highly recommended.   www.golfarchitecture.net

David Stamm

Re: Golf Architecture Magazine
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 11:30:09 AM »
Excellent recommendation, Mr.McBride. I've been subscribing for some time now and I agree on all counts.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 11:47:29 AM »
Kind of you to say so, Bill, and I'm glad you enjoy it.

Adam
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 11:50:26 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation. I have stopped reading most of the American golf mags unless I come across a link online regarding architecture. One of the main benefits of GCA DG is being exposed to publications like that that I was previously unfamiliar with.

Can you check the link that was posted? It opens to a spamlinks page of some kind. Thanks.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 12:03:51 PM »

Can you check the link that was posted? It opens to a spamlinks page of some kind. Thanks.

Accurate link:

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 12:11:06 PM »

Adam

My pleasure Adam.   By the way, did you write an article on Wolf Point?   Not easy to get to from London!

Jason Way

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »

I just read through the latest on line edition of Golf Architecture, the UK-based magazine edited by Adam Lawrence.  It's entirely focused on golf design, construction and maintenance, and is truly worldwide in scope.  This edition has articles on the state of golf in China, Jeff Mingay's restoration of  Macan's "volcano" hole at Fircrest, and golf in France.  Lots of beautiful photography and excellent writing.

+1

Last issue got me hooked.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 01:57:13 PM »
That is the best magazine. I stopped receiving my print copy. Is it still in print?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 01:58:38 PM »

Adam

My pleasure Adam.   By the way, did you write an article on Wolf Point?   Not easy to get to from London!

Yes, back in (I think) 2009. The year Springsteen played the Superbowl, I still vividly remember sitting in the bar at WP with Mike, Don and Steve Curry, watching Bruce and the band rock the house
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 02:24:30 PM »
Link to Adam's article is below, along with a picture of Adam and Steve Curry from their visit. Not shown is the footage of my eagle on 10 that proved to be the death blow in our match.
http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Wolf-Point-Club/1465/Default.aspx#.VM0nbi56ou8

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 02:27:59 PM »
Also a subscriber and also enjoy it very much. Tremendous work, Adam. Got the current issue all tee'd up on the iPad for my Florida trip next week.

What are you finding to be the biggest challenges with producing the magazine in the current publishing landscape?
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 06:02:08 PM »
I read it regularly on my iPad and it is, IMO, better than print as photos can be zoomed, etc.
Download all past issues and it makes for great reading on a long flight or on a crappy winter day.

Links Magazine is also worthwhile and I have enjoyed it for years.

The rest of the magazines (Golf and Golf Digest) serve two purposes:

1. Helps with lighting fires in fireplace when you are short on kindling.
2. Great for toilet training puppies.

;D

Terry Lavin

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 07:59:24 PM »

Accurate link:

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

One can always count on our King of the Links!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 09:14:42 PM »
I agree. I have been reading it for years. I enjoy Golf Architecture Magazine. Well done Adam Lawrence! 

Frank Pont

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 04:08:10 AM »
The only magazine I read. Adam is one of the few good, knowledgeable and critical journalists out there. Proud to be a sponsor for the last 5 years.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 05:25:40 PM »
Thumbs up from me as well!!

Philip Hensley

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 05:27:51 PM »
Same here. I subscribed and really liked the article on turf vs contouring. I'm going to start a thread on that soon.

William_G

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 05:31:28 PM »
That is the best magazine. I stopped receiving my print copy. Is it still in print?

yes, I think I receive print as well as online
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back