News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Jarvis

Re: A New Year, A New Member
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 06:00:49 AM »
Ben, so great to hear from you and congratulations again on putting together a very successful Australian Masters (we watched every round with delight). A very happy new year to you as well. Here's a picture for you (the bunker to the right of 1 green at Metropolitan):

Many thanks, Benjamin - it was a fantastic week and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the coverage.

Nice photo of the greenside bunker on #1 at Metro, which has to be perhaps the best opening hole on the Sandbelt.
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 07:43:59 AM »
Benjamin,

Welcome aboard. If we can find someone to post on Kingsley then you'll have been benighted by the Dismley Cinqueports Subtle Promotion Society in your very first thread. Anticipatory congrats!

Also, nice pic -- (screw the em dash) very feminine:
Royal Porthcawl
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Niall C

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 01:54:28 PM »
Benjamin

Welcome to the discussion group. Now could you post that photo of Castle Stuart on Mark Rowlinsons thread on flat courses/holes  ;)

Niall

ps. have you ever played Forfar ?

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 02:08:03 PM »
Ben, I think it's a very close call between the first at Metropolitan and the first at Kingston. To split the baby, I'd give the tee shot to Kingston--it is, to my eye, glorious--and the approach shot and green complex to Metropolitan.

Mark, thanks for the kind words. I gather I'll be learning about many obscure societies on this site. But I can't agree with you--for now--on the em dash, which I prefer to the en dash. I do recognize that many prefer the latter for its spacing and increased readability, so in time I might come around to your view (although not for reasons of gender).

Niall, I would gladly post that picture of Castle Stuart, but I have a hard time associating Castle Stuart with flatness (even if a few of its holes are relatively flat). When I think of flatness, I think Westward Ho!, Kingston Heath, Quogue Field Club, and the Old Course. I have never played (or heard of) Forfar, but I will certainly look into it now. Thanks again.
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2015, 11:28:49 PM »
Ben,

Yale is a golf course to be enjoyed, but, man, not exactly an easy place to learn the game!

It is also the venue for one the great moments in GCA history, the famous tough love speech by Tommy Naccarato to the Yale brass.

Welcome aboard!
Tim Weiman

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 11:39:41 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, Tim. I never said Yale was easy; only that I can't imagine a better place to learn the game and the architecture that animates it. It's the rare course that's at once very hard and very fun.

With a teaser like that, you must have expected me to ask you to recount the details of said tough-love speech. Please share.

"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back