News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nick Spears

17 at Sawgrass
« on: January 01, 2015, 11:38:34 AM »
Ive been seeing pictures lately of #17 and there is some sort of rope fence bordering the back side of the walk up area and continues along side the back of the green. Is there a purpose for this? Looks extremely tacky to me. Without being there in person the pictures seem to make it less daunting from the tee.

Anthony_Nysse

Re: 17 at Sawgrass
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 02:50:39 PM »
Traffic control. Not sure it makes it any less daunting.

www.tpcsawgrassagronomy.com/2014/11/the-players-stadium-17-walk-bridge.html
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Cody Carroll

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 03:06:23 PM »
Yeah believe me, it is still just as daunting especially with a back right pin. I hit in the water twice in a tournament, both shots landing within 12 feet of the hole. I made a six on my way to an awful 78. With that said, I think that the short par 3 with trouble everywhere isn't used enough. I feel that it is such a good test especially late in the round and it doesn't necessarily have to be an island green either. I think the postage stamp at Troon is a good example of such a hole.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 03:08:19 PM »
I've always wondered why it was built that way to begin with (a land walkway) instead of a true island with a separate bridge.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 04:04:40 PM »
Matthew,

Getting maintenance equipment to the green is much easier as configured.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

noonan

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 04:36:13 PM »
I am 1 under par for 2 rounds on 17. It was a stock 8 iron with no wind. if there is any wind present it would be a tiny target.

No way I have the balls to aim at the right side of the green. Just left of the trap where you have your best chance.

noonan

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 04:37:50 PM »
Visually while on the tee of 17 - I believe you really cannot see much of the green surface except the front left. It handcuffs you as if the target is much smaller than it actually is.

Cody Carroll

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 05:51:40 PM »
Visually while on the tee of 17 - I believe you really cannot see much of the green surface except the front left. It handcuffs you as if the target is much smaller than it actually is.

Yeah that's what makes it an intimidating hole. The right pin looks like the green is 5 yards deep. It makes it very tough to commit to the tee shot. In my opinion It makes it that much better.

Daniel Jones

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 07:32:55 PM »
I hit in the water twice in a tournament, both shots landing within 12 feet of the hole. I made a six on my way to an awful 78.

I've got you beat here, Cody. Fanned two 8-irons right of the Sunday pin and then my 3rd found the rough near the bunker, all en route to a cool 8. The guy in the clubhouse said it was the highest score he'd ever engraved on the souvenir bag tag. I keep it on my bag as a humble reminder  ::) I also put up a 78 that day, which beat my previous low there by 10, so in the end there was no complaining from yours truly.

Cody Carroll

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 09:37:34 PM »
I hit in the water twice in a tournament, both shots landing within 12 feet of the hole. I made a six on my way to an awful 78.

I've got you beat here, Cody. Fanned two 8-irons right of the Sunday pin and then my 3rd found the rough near the bunker, all en route to a cool 8. The guy in the clubhouse said it was the highest score he'd ever engraved on the souvenir bag tag. I keep it on my bag as a humble reminder  ::) I also put up a 78 that day, which beat my previous low there by 10, so in the end there was no complaining from yours truly.

Daniel,
Haha yeah. I feel the best part of that hole location is that it suckers you into being aggressive when you have to just hit it 20-25 feet left and 2 putt and get out. Easier said than done😬

Lyndell Young

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 12:01:21 AM »
Removable walkup ramp to get the golfers entry point to the green away from normal area. Also they are very strict on the rest of the holes when I last played, they have greens roped off with ingress egress opening specified. Due to high play and semi dormant turf which is easily worn down. 

Nick Spears

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 05:21:17 PM »
Thanks Lyndell.  I suppose its impossible for that hole to be less daunting.  I'm even after just one attempt at it. One thing I feel that TV doesn't show is the ridge that runs across it and just how much of a difference there is from back to front. I'm curious if that has always been there? I know in Tigers "better than most" putt you really see what it does. But didn't they refurbish the green a few years back? Was anything changed?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back