News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Nairn
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2015, 01:15:45 PM »
How does Nairn GC compare to Nairn Dunbar?
Atb

David_Tepper

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2015, 01:41:30 PM »
"How does Nairn GC compare to Nairn Dunbar?"

Thomas D. -

Nairn is a much better course than Nairn Dunbar. I would judge the former an A- and the later a B-.

DT

Robert Thompson

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2015, 03:33:19 PM »
Funny thing is I really enjoyed Nairn, and especially the holes were it turns inland - 13,14, 15 -- which I found quite unique among links. The openings holes are perhaps not the most fascinating, but few courses get much closer to the water (think Berwick, second at Castle Stuart). I really enjoyed it, but I think it may be more a sum of its parts than individual extraordinary holes.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Greg Taylor

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2015, 05:00:18 PM »
I'd agree with most of the comments...

I think it also suffers from some status anxiety. Inevitably everyone up there is really going for Dornoch and CS. It perhaps gets binned as a filler when in reality it is a very good course.  Just lacks some charisma.

When I was there I was treated to the club library and history room.... They had some wonderful old books.

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2015, 05:43:06 PM »
Thomas

I would agree with david. the Nairn Dunbar is very much second best between the two. the front 9 has a few interesting holes but it suffers from a clash of styles and a number of poor holes.  It's set much more inland than The Nairn and is more of a parkland course. it's not rated in the confidential guide but would probably be a 3/4.

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2015, 07:39:00 PM »
I think perhaps folks are seeing things that aren't there  :)  Doak and Co are spot on...6 is a fair score...worth seeing, but not really a top notch course. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

James Brown

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2015, 09:41:25 PM »
Played it this last June for the first time.   Very solid.    The greens were very, very good and the layout was in incredibly good shape, with no weak holes and some real gems.  It makes you hit every shot and has a very solid set of par threes.   While it is very flat, it also makes great use of angled approaches and solid fairway bunkering.  The fact that it is very flat makes it quite interesting, as the greens are very hard to read and they offer no backstop on approaches. 

My caddie and the other caddie in my group were lifelong members who had never played Castle Stewart and had no interest in doing so! 

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2015, 12:13:48 PM »
Played it this last June for the first time.   Very solid.    The greens were very, very good and the layout was in incredibly good shape, with no weak holes and some real gems.  It makes you hit every shot and has a very solid set of par threes.   While it is very flat, it also makes great use of angled approaches and solid fairway bunkering.  The fact that it is very flat makes it quite interesting, as the greens are very hard to read and they offer no backstop on approaches. 

My caddie and the other caddie in my group were lifelong members who had never played Castle Stewart and had no interest in doing so! 

This is how I imagine the course. Often "flat" courses with intelligent bunkering are the ones that call for angles in my experience.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back