News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Nairn
« on: December 31, 2014, 03:15:02 PM »
Rarely discussed here and even more rarely lauded.  Photographs depict a rather pedestrian looking place and it rarely makes anyone's personal best-of list.  That said, the drone flyovers in Brian Ewen's thread are simply stunning.  Does it get by-passed on the rush to Dornoch? Is it considered a stern championship test rather than quirky charmer?  Why isn't Nairn considered "do not miss?"

Please enlighten.  Thanks.

Bogey
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 03:18:44 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

David_Tepper

Re: Nairn
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 03:33:19 PM »
Michael -

Nairn has hosted the British Amateur, the Walker Cup and the Curtis Cup. It usually shows up somewhere between 20 and 40 on the top 100 GB&I lists.

That being said, you are right, it does not generate the same buzz/interest/affection that Dornoch does. The creation/emergence of Castle Stuart neaby has overshadowed Nairn as well.

My criticism of Nairn would be there are too many flattish holes (and greens) opening and closing the course.

DT    

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 06:07:53 PM by David_Tepper »

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 05:51:28 PM »
I believe McBride, Whitaker and the other guys in their party found Nairn to be more than satisfactory when they drove down to play there during our week in Dornoch. I opted for a solo round at Brora instead of going with them to Nairn and am willing to consider the possibility it could be as good a course as Brora. But I doubt it!

C. Sturges

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 06:03:10 PM »
Michael,

Nairn is a good golf course, Castle Stuart and Royal Dornoch are much better!  When I went to England and Scotland 8 years ago and mentioned Nairn, everyone got excited about the condition of the greens, and claimed they were the best in the UK.  As David said, most of the course is on flat property, and does not inspire your imagination as many of the courses in the area.

Another part about Nairn, and I could be way off, but it felt neither a championship or charmer.  Just a solid golf course.

On my last trip to the area my group played Brora instead of Nairn, and we all loved it! and would go back to play it in a heart beat.  For me, there are to many other courses to try before wanting to go back to a course that did not stir my soul.

If in the area and you have extra time, go play...

chris

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 07:51:42 PM »
The holes at Nairn may look boring from above, but on the ground I found them to be good links holes.  I thought the par 4 up the hill was out of character but the two downhill holes were enjoyable.   The greens were superb.  I've onky seen photos of Castle Stuart but it's apparent Nairn will lose a lot of visitor rounds in the future. 

Ryan Coles

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 08:16:52 PM »
Bill

Visitor rounds are up and Nairn and others nearby, have all been helped rather than hindered by Castle Stuart.

It's in a tough neighbourhood and doesn't have the magic of Dornoch or the charm of Brora, but you won't hear of many who regret playing it.

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 08:38:37 PM »
I will first disclose that I have been a member of Nairn from the age of 6 but will try and be as objective as I can! So ultimately its a classic old style links, out and back along the shore of the Moray Firth. It certainly doesn't have the number of stand out holes that Dornoch has and as a result may get passed on by a number of those heading up north but as mentioned previously its just a really consistently solid course in my view.

There is nothing too quirky, the 14th green excepted I suppose, but in my experience there is plenty of interest and the greens are generally excellent.  I don't think there are any particularly poor holes but would be interested to hear what others thoughts on it's strengths and weaknesses. In my view the best stretch is 3-5. It is on some very flat links land which maybe takes away some of the visual drama that for instance Castle stuart has,  and obviously it is a completely different style of course.

Living abroad, Im not sure about the impact that Castle stuart has had on visitors but there seems to be a highland golf deal advertised that incorporates rounds at Dornoch, Nairn and Castle Stuart. As far as I know, its still doing OK.

I think it would be a shame to miss if you were golfing in the highlands, but I would say that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:41:40 PM by Alan Ritchie »

Bart Bradley

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 08:40:03 PM »
Mike

My son and I played Nairn last July. It is a solid, enjoyable course. It lacks all world holes. It is a pleasant walk. As to the condition, it played very "linksy".. I am glad I played it and would enjoy returning but am not desperate to get back.

I would be interested if anyone feels that Nairn offers anything unique or very special to the world of golf architecture, and if so, what?

Bart

David Whitmer

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 08:59:46 PM »
My brother and I talked about Nairn just last week. We agreed it is a solid course, with a lack of memorable holes. For us, it was our first round of our trip, and we played it in a good rain (it sleeted on us on the ninth hole) after a four-hour drive from Edinburgh. Perhaps it was doomed to be down on our list due to circumstance.

The holes going out are more memorable, probably because the beach is to the immediate right. Like Bill said, I thought the 13th was a black sheep, though the 14th and 15th were two good holes. The 16th to 18th were a bit pedestrian to me, though again, I was running on fumes by that point. I'm more than willing to see it again; like some good movies, maybe I'll catch something I missed the first time.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 04:35:50 AM »
So despite 5 days in the highlands last June and 3 nights staying in the Golf View next door,I failed - despite trying - to get out on Nairn for a round. I did walk a few holes at sundown instead.

A question. The usual "lack of memorable holes" is the stock answer. Does that overlook holes that demand correct angles through effective bunker positioning?

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 04:51:48 AM »
Nairn's 3rd and 14th are vey memorable holes.  There are a few other fine short 4s and a scattering of good holes dotted about...I think Nairn is better than a "solid course".  Yet, I still didn't fall in love with the course.  That said, I would like to go back because the conditioning raised the level of the experience to much greater heights...I don't recall a course ever being in better condition.  For me, its just too damn exepensive, but like .supermarket deals, the clubs offers 2 rounds in four days for £170.  Thats good value, but does one want to invest two days at Nairn?  I guess it makes sense if one is on a short trip using the airport VERY nearby.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 05:02:41 AM »
Nairn is very nice, apart perhaps from that long par-4 straight up the hill(13th?) and the walks back to some of the tees. If living in the area, say within 30 mins, trying to become a member would be an easy decision, but if on a visitors limited day schedule it's most likely to come below others in pecking order lists despite it's nearness to the airport. It's also pretty expensive but in addition to the one Sean mentions I believe there's also some kind of two-course deal with nearby Nairn Dunbar. I think there may also be a Nairn Golf Week of Open Competitions where playing may be more economical.

Atb

James Boon

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 05:35:41 AM »
Bogey,

A group from my club are talking of heading north this year for a trip that will include Nairn and I will happily join them as its a decent course, but when I'm up there with only a few rounds to play I'm more likely to try and experience something new and return to old favourites, and I cant say Nairn is one of those...

David isnt far wrong with the first 2 and last 3 holes being a little dull for me. Alan is probably right in that 3 to 5 are the best stretch. 6 through 12 are a decent stretch without any standout holes though there is certainly some interest and a little character around the greens. 13 feels a little odd playing uphill as does 14 playing straight back down again. This sort of thing feels fine at Dornoch but strangely doesn't seem to fit the spirit of place at Nairn even though they arent bad holes? 14 is a fun green and the rumpled land short of the 15th makes for interesting approaches to this short par 4.

I thought I'd dig out my old photo tour:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42177.0.html
And in doing so, I'm actually rather tempted to head to Nairn again to see if I've been a little unfair on it?  ::)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Dan Boerger

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 08:33:36 AM »
Played Nairn, Dornoch, Brora and Golspie on a recent trip. (Thank you David Tepper for your guidance and hospitality!)

I found Nairn to be a wonderful course and certainly the equal of Brora (IMO) and far better conditioned. (And when you take the time and expense for such a trip, conditioning is important to me.) The wind was up that day, so it proved a fine challenge - especially the final few holes.

Dornoch in a class by itself (no surprise there), but Golspie incredibly fun.

"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 09:57:51 AM »
Like many others I enjoyed Nairn but didn't dazzle me like most of the other links courses we played. It was kinda like Tain in that regard. It also suffered from being the meat in the sandwich between Brora and Dornoch in our playing schedule.  The day we played the wind was really tough and directly in our face going out- so the first several holes were more of a struggle for survival- and for that reason I think I failed to appreciate the solidness of that middle stretch on the front 9.  I'd like to play it again in calmer conditions- some of those holes look quite good.  Not sure about the dislike for 13?  Maybe because I like elevation changes- but I really liked that hole. I thought the uphill approach was a fair challenge with a shorter club and a welcome change of pace from a mostly flat course. The two downhill holes were really good- the rumples in the fairway short of the 15th green were memorable. On our day I think I liked 16-18 a little more than I should because they were dead downwind and played easy- a driver and 7 iron on 18 was a nice way to finish up  :)

Because it was somewhat unspectacular- I think I would enjoy and appreciate Nairn the more I played it. I think it comes off a little unfairly judged since many visitors just give it a single play.

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 05:27:34 PM »
Brian I think there is a bit of a Troon esq look perticularly with the first few holes as par 4 s straight along the shore and  the short par 4 coming back towards the sea a bit like the postage stamp I suppose. 

I think it is interesting how Brora seems to get so much praise in comparison to Nairn, which always seems to rank higher on the lists that I have seen. I've not played Brora since  I was a teenager back in the late 90s but I agree with dan that (at that time at least)  the conditioning is far better at Nairn and it's also a better course in general.  Is it about the quirkiness of the electric fences and animals or is it genuinely and architecturally a superior course?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 05:44:16 PM »
Isn't there also a 9-hole course as part of Nairn GC?
Atb

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 06:07:33 PM »
yes Thomas, the Cameron (previously Newton) Course has 7 par 3s and two short par 4s. not very high quality stuff but great for children, beginners and a bit of practice. there was talk for years of a bit of a redesign but not much has happened. great to have the facility though

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 07:06:15 PM »
Alan

I wouldn't agree that Nairn is a better course than Brora. Its more difficult, but far less charming.  At the end of the day, for me, Brora has more very good holes than does Nairn.  Its also no hardship that Brora is half the price.  IMO, its an easy decision to play Brora over Nairn unless logistical issues need to be considered. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Rich Goodale

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 08:18:11 PM »
Nairn is a solid, but not exceptional, golf course.  Those who put it in the top 30 of any GBI ranking are ranking are seriously flattering its inherent quality.  And, as Sean says, it ain't worth the rack rate (£110/$170) when there are numerous courses nearby of similar enjoyment and interest for half that price.

Rich

PS--I think that the "Nairn has the best greens in Scotland" meme was never really true and is now is well past its sell-by-date.

rfg
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Ryan Coles

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 08:28:05 PM »
I'd add that in my visits the conditions at Brora have been excellent. In fact some of the best turf I've hit from.

I think there's a lot of tripe written about the supposed best greens. Lots is written about Burnham's being the best in England. Sure, some weeks they are. Some years they'll be disappointing and if you visit the week after they've been tined and dressed, you won't think them the best in Somerset. Who is constantly driving around to every course to make the assessment to back up the claim?

Nairn is a lovely Club, but doesn't stir the soul like Brora does. James Boon did a very nice photo tour on here. His picture of the18th sums this up.

Niall C

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2015, 09:51:12 AM »
Michael

Can't say I agree with the consensus on here. I think Nairn is at least every bit as interesting and fun as any other links in the north of Scotland although it does take a bit of playing to appreciate it. Unfortunately for Nairn, there isn't enough eye candy to encourage the casual visitor to return, particularly when you throw in the level of green fee and relative lack of ambiance in the clubhouse. However, make no mistake, this is a much better course than the reviews on here and should be played at least once.

Niall

Ian Andrew

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 10:30:49 AM »
I'm with Niall on this one too.

The lack of "great holes" comment perplexed me.

I think the 5th hole is brilliant with the Braid's Bunker being exactly where you "want" to lay up.
This forces a very complicated decision off the tee of what to flirt with.

The 14th is an inland gem with great green contouring.

It's not Cruden Bay, but it is worth playing, I think this is a reaction to the landscape being relatively benign.
-

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 10:56:07 AM »
I'm glad to see the comments from Niall and Ian. I've a sneaky feeling that I would enjoy Nairn a lot more than this thread is having me believe.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2015, 12:12:52 PM »
Nairn certainly does not get a fair hearing on here. It is a quality course with no weak holes and its share of quality ones. It is also playable in most conditions and asks a lot of questions of the golfer. I suspect if it were set in high dunes then many neigh sayers would be drooling over it.

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back