News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Bay Club Buys Stone Tree (Novato, CA)
« on: December 31, 2014, 12:15:41 PM »
The Bay Club group, owner/operator of 11 health/fitness/athletic clubs in the San Francisco area, has acquired the daily-fee Stone Tree golf course in Novato. They are planning to invest $11 million to turn the course into a "country club" for the use of the 55,000 members of their athletic clubs.

http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_26765014/bay-club-buys-novatos-stonetree-golf-club-plans

Their management says this is "the first in a series of acquisitions planned to transform traditional golf courses into modernized country clubs."   

An approach that leans against the conventional wisdom espoused here. ;)

Tim Leahy

Re: Bay Club Buys Stone Tree (Novato, CA)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 12:47:09 PM »
Isnt this the Olympic Club model?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 12:52:53 PM »
"Isnt this the Olympic Club model?"

Tim -

I suppose there is a vague similarity, but I would not call it a "model." I believe Winged Foot was once affiliated with the New York Athletic Club.

DT
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:56:47 PM by David_Tepper »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 03:41:25 PM »
Perhaps more like Jockey Club?
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 03:50:02 PM »
This is fairly old news, the transaction took place a few months ago.

I'm wondering about the Bay Club and the money behind them?  Regardless, this course is marginal at best and I suspect that a chunk of money will be used to build the workout facility to suit that client base.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 04:03:01 PM »
"I'm wondering about the Bay Club and the money behind them?"

Joel -

A more in depth article, with mention of York Capital, which is now a major owner/investor in the Bay Club group. Sounds like they have ambitious plans. 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/20/ca-the-bay-club-idUSnBw205185a+100+BSW20141020

DT

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 05:56:22 PM »
My dad and I played StoneTree years ago. I recall an interesting series of holes through something of a canyon and then a whole bunch of pretty pedestrian holes in the flats. Will they spend any of the $11 million on making the course better? I'm not holding my breath.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 08:24:13 PM »
The Bay Club group, owner/operator of 11 health/fitness/athletic clubs in the San Francisco area, has acquired the daily-fee Stone Tree golf course in Novato. They are planning to invest $11 million to turn the course into a "country club" for the use of the 55,000 members of their athletic clubs.

http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_26765014/bay-club-buys-novatos-stonetree-golf-club-plans

Their management says this is "the first in a series of acquisitions planned to transform traditional golf courses into modernized country clubs."   

An approach that leans against the conventional wisdom espoused here. ;)

any chance they are a public company? ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back