News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

Scottish Golf Holes from a Drone
« on: December 31, 2014, 08:50:03 AM »
Someone has uploaded to YouTube, a whole load of Scottish golf holes filmed using a drone.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/GolfTravellers/videos

John Crowley

Re: Scottish Golf Holes from a Drone
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 12:14:23 PM »
Thanks Brian!

I can hardly wait for my visit to St Andrews and Dornoch next May/June.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 01:44:34 PM »
I am ashamed to say I have never played Panmure.

Is the 6th hole as good as it looks in that video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RHjUwn7maU

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 02:56:32 PM »
These drone shots are a good find Brian so thanks for highlighting them.

The 6th at Panmure is indeed a very fine hole although I recall that in previous times there was far more gunch etc much closer in on the left side at the back of the green, also a post and wire fence was close by, than is shown in the drone flyover, or maybe it's just my memory playing tricks!

One aspect shown by the drone that came as a surprise was the amount of coastal protection work at the mouth of the Eden estuary at St Andrews.

Atb

Steve Wilson

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 03:49:17 PM »

Short answer, yes.  It's as good a hole as I played in Scotland in the last two years.  The drive is straightforward if you can take your eye off the intimidation surrounding it, but the green site is daunting indeed.  The mound to the left is one of those complications that will loom larger on repeat plays.  It would be a standout hole on any course.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 03:55:53 PM »

Short answer, yes.  It's as good a hole as I played in Scotland in the last two years.  The drive is straightforward if you can take your eye off the intimidation surrounding it, but the green site is daunting indeed.  The mound to the left is one of those complications that will loom larger on repeat plays.  It would be a standout hole on any course.

It's a great hole; unfortunately there are not too many other holes on the course of similar quality.  I have only walked it, but the sixth is at the very far end and I almost turned back before then because the opening and closing holes were so dull.

James Boon

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 05:57:48 AM »
The first video I went to was of the 2nd at Dornoch, and the thing that jumped out at me with the flyover was that you get to see the wonderful view of the 3rd onwards before you would do usually as you walk through the gorse, over the hill and down the path to the 3rd tee. This means that the "big reveal" moment is lost which is a shame.

As I've posted a number of quite extensive photo tours in the past, its a useful reminder that its sometimes worth leaving something for people to experience themselves!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 09:59:23 AM »

Brian

That was the stand out hole for me also. Never played it (could 2015 be the year ?) but would love to.

Niall

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 10:30:13 AM »

Brian

That was the stand out hole for me also. Never played it (could 2015 be the year ?) but would love to.

Niall

The drone video does an excellent job of showing the approach to the 6th, but what you don't see is the drive is semi blind. Standing on the tee box you can see the green but there is nothing but heather between you and the green from the tee. The lone fairway bunker that sits at the outside of the dog leg is visible but depending on the wind and how far you want to play your tee shot your line from the tee may be 40 yards left of the bunker.

Playing the hole in 3 consecutive days my first drive on the hole was played too far left and ended up in the left rough. With the wind hard in my face on the second go round I played my drive out towards the fairway bunker and then hit a Mid Iron short of the green. On the 3rd day the wind was down and I was able to play a more aggressive drive that left me only a niblick into the green. I never hit the green in regulation and ended up going +2 on the hole for 3 days, I was pretty happy with that.

I don't have any issues with the opening stretch at Panmure, the first 3 act as a good introduction to your round. The course does feel like it ends after 14, the final 4 are rather lackluster.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back