News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Hensley

Great Perry Maxwell Quote On Shackelford Today
« on: December 30, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
Many have probably seen/heard this quote before, but I saw this for the first time on Shackelford's site today:

The majority of American golf clubs are in the red, gore of the stream shovel, blood drawn by mound builders. We have learned nothing from Scotland and England where the ancient and honorable game can be enjoyed on marvelous links at one tenth the admission fees, dues, green fees, etc., that prevail in the land of the free. PERRY MAXWELL

We can debate till the end of time whether or not clubs should have user fees, carts vs. walkers, the role of technology in the game, etc. But we also need to get the view from 35,000 ft up and look down to see the big picture. And yes many of the famous clubs in GB&I have raised their fees astronomically in the last 20 years, but pound for pound it seems like they "get it" and we (the US) don't. I realize there are exceptions, and the reasons things are done they way they are on both sides. But the way I look at it is, if someone offered to send their golf culture here and we send ours there, I would vote to make the switch without thinking.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:03:26 PM by Philip Hensley »

Jon Byron

Re: Great Perry Maxwell Quote On Shackelford Today
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 11:28:43 PM »
How true!
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

Duncan Cheslett

Re: Great Perry Maxwell Quote On Shackelford Today
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 12:56:24 AM »
If someone offered to send their golf culture here and we send ours there, I would vote to make the switch without thinking.

In your dreams, matey!

;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:59:03 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back