News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

What's left to discuss?
« on: December 28, 2014, 02:13:24 PM »
This reply to Ran's recent thread stuck out to me:

Is there any aspect of golf course architecture on this site that has not been discussed, forensically examined, masticated to exhaustion, repeated to the point of funereal boredom, microscopically dissected or viewed through the various prisms of admiration, anger, disgust, indignation and dismay?

Admittedly, it's easy to agree with Mike when we have 11 pages of threads discussing the legitimacy of trail fees on the first page right now. Yet, others would suggest that we've only scratched the surface of discussing and learning about golf course architecture to this point. Who's right?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

archie_struthers

Re: What's left to discuss?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 02:18:27 PM »
 8) :D

Good question , I'd say drainage is an under analyzed aspect of architecture , but then it's not real sexy . Just critical

BCowan

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »
8) :D

Good question , I'd say drainage is an under analyzed aspect of architecture , but then it's not real sexy . Just critical

+1 for drainage

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 02:25:14 PM »
Discuss or posture from a position of ignorance. I've got a few topics I will start when we get through the latest MPT. Hole 7 please.

For one I would love to discuss the importance of structure in our lives and how it relates to golf. Both in design and the culture of where we like to play. Problem is not so much with the topic as it is with the same pat answers from the same posters.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 02:31:35 PM »
   Although drainage is probably the most difficult challenge in building a course, I suspect it is virtually irrelevant to the player.  I'd call it more engineering than architecture, although it is the architect's job.  I suspect that any drainage discussion would become very technical.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 02:35:27 PM »
There's always room for navel gazing meta threads, apparently.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mike_Young

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 02:50:54 PM »
Reality is always a difficult subject to discuss with an idealistic audience.  It's how history becomes revised whether golf design or wars.   :)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

BHoover

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 02:56:51 PM »
Drainage and placement of teeing areas are two topics that come to mind.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 03:09:06 PM »
Another topic:  Par 5 design that takes away the long ball advantage. Examples and why.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 03:34:53 PM »
Another topic:  Par 5 design that takes away the long ball advantage. Examples and why.

See: Hells Half Acre.

How bout a thread on the architectural history of Merion East?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mike_Young

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 03:50:58 PM »
There are a  few things left to discuss but the site really has no interest in discussing them for good reason.

For example:  let's discuss the Toyotas and Hondas of golf ocurses and how they are designed condtrcuted and sustained instead of always talking of the Mercedes, Rolls etc..

How bout this one:   will the jagged edged bunker concept stand the test of time in non sandy soils? 

and another:  if you were going to learn to shape,  would you prefer to learn in sand or clay and heavy soils?  And, which is the easier to go from and to?   
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 04:10:22 PM »

Already covered by George Thomas.  Which I guess goes to show that how much there is left to learn is very subjective.  And Mucci only has so much time to teach us all.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 04:15:35 PM »
It'd be a driver/5 iron today at that yardage. ;)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 04:19:29 PM »
It'd be a driver/5 iron today at that yardage. ;)

Jim:

As with all old plans, you have to apply the Peter Kostis Architect Driven Distance Ratio Calculation.  In today's world that hole would be 734 yards.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Tim Bert

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 04:24:21 PM »
I certainly don't know as much about golf course architecture as Mr Thomas but to me that hole looks like a potential disaster waiting to happen for most average for players.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2014, 04:36:25 PM »
Has this site made a difference? We should start a thread discussing that question.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 04:44:14 PM »
Has this site made a difference? We should start a thread discussing that question.
The hot dogs are $4.00 cheaper at SS. ;D

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

BCowan

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 04:46:17 PM »
The hot dogs are $4.00 cheaper at SS. ;D

;D ;D, luckily SS is public, a private club would have raised them $4  ;D ;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 04:47:58 PM »

Already covered by George Thomas.  Which I guess goes to show that how much there is left to learn is very subjective.  And Mucci only has so much time to teach us all.

That may be one example. It doesn't touch the nuance of blindness or any of a number of other possibilities.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 04:52:43 PM »

That may be one example. It doesn't touch the nuance of blindness or any of a number of other possibilities.

I'd suggest you start a thread, although I don't think it'll be as popular as the one on getting a dog for your Dad.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 04:56:58 PM »
We could start a thread that addressed the topic at hand without it hurting anyone's feelings or becoming a schoolyard argument.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 04:58:51 PM by Joe Hancock »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

JMEvensky

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 05:03:37 PM »

How bout this one:   will the jagged edged bunker concept stand the test of time in non sandy soils? 

Just to start the discussion,I'll say no. Pure speculation--the cost to maintain will eventually outweigh the design.

I'd like to read any kind of bunker design/maintenance discussion featuring architects and superintendents. For the 2nd or 3rd largest expense in a maintenance budget,care and feeding of bunkers is very misunderstood.

Paul Gray

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2014, 06:28:25 PM »

Good point. Start a thread.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2014, 06:58:28 PM »
Paul,

My point is that plenty of great threads exist for the taking. You indicate why they aren't worth the effort.

Paul Gray

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2014, 07:07:10 PM »
Paul,

My point is that plenty of great threads exist for the taking. You indicate why they aren't worth the effort.

I just genuinely thought it was a good example of a worthy topic.

I find it a little strange that anyone would suggest we've seen and done it all.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back