News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

The rewards of silence and study
« on: December 24, 2014, 09:29:38 AM »
I’ve been drawn to silence for a long time.  I once took a retreat at an Irish Cistercian Monastery for three months.  Silence nurtures growth and deepens understanding.  This past September my wife and I visited St. Petersburg, Russia.  One of the reasons I wanted to take the trip was to sit in front of Rembrandt’s 1668 life size painting, Return of the Prodigal.  I had read Henri Nouwen’s book by the same name and have been captivated by both the parable and the painting.  I visited the Hermitage, where it is on display, twice on that trip and sat silently in front of the painting for as long as I dared.  Rembrandt painted the Return of the Prodigal near the end of his life and in some ways the painting is autobiographical.  Many consider it the high point of his career.  Sitting silently in front of this masterpiece and I allowed the painting to enter into my consciousness.  After a while of looking into the Father’s face I noticed the ache, longing, and love he had for his wayward son.  You see his hands: one strong and masculine, the other tender and feminine.  The same is true for the rest of the panting.  It takes a long time of study to understand it.  The painting reveals itself in all its wonder and awe if we take the time and energy to truly look.  After a while of looking we can really see.

The same is true of great golf courses.  After one play something of its intricacies is revealed.   But a truly great golf course should require many plays and a great deal of thought before it is known deeply.  For instance, the par five tenth at Ballyhack is a pretty straightforward par five. 

It is dogleg right that has rough with a deep chasm short and right of the green.  Hit the drive far enough and if you feel adventurous hit the ball left and try to run it up onto the green.  Hit a shorter drive and layup.  There is, however, much more going on here.

The preferred line is down the right side.  Nonetheless, it is likely that you are left with a downhill sidehill lie.  Hit a really good drive past the corner and you are rewarded with a great lie and the possibility of reaching the green in two, if you feel courageous enough to take on the ravine on the right.  I find that if I hit a low dart left of center the ball runs out further and I will have a better lie for the second shot, albeit further away from the green.  There are bunkers on the left side of the fairway about 180 yards from the green.  After the first few plays I thought they served little purpose except eye candy.  That is until I found myself in them with a poorly hit second shot from the left rough trying to protect myself from going into the abyss on the right.  The second shot requires more thought than the first one does.  Go for it? Not go for it?  What third shot do I want?  Where will I have the best angle for the third shot?  How close to the edge of the fairway do I want to be? 

The best golf courses never reveal everything.  A truly great course should require study, thought and silent reflection the same way a truly great painting does.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ronald Montesano

Re: The rewards of silence and study
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 09:57:26 AM »
one shoe off and one shoe one...
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 11:37:04 AM »
Interesting Tommy.

I note the angle of your (golf) photos. I like to analyse holes by viewing them from behind the green or walking back along their length in reverse, ie commencing behind the green and walking back to the tee.

Lateral views too I guess, space permitting, even if just those available from particularly important points.

atb
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 12:54:27 PM by Thomas Dai »

Carl Rogers

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 01:32:24 PM »
At the Sunday event of the George Cup weekend, in playing alternate shot, my partner left me on the extreme right about 150 out ... golly gee you are right, that is the easier side to play from.  Never would have played that way if playing my own ball.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 02:49:49 PM »
All contemplative soliloquies aside, your par-5 looks to be a replicate of the 17th hole at Pelican Hill North - although I am not sure whether Lester George knew he was copying Fazio, came up with the strategic geometry on his own or drew it up unconsciously.

I disagree that an experienced player or critic needs to play a hole multiple times to fully grok its intricacies. The trick (if that is what you want to call it) is take the time to start on the tee and walk the hole, taking careful note of how hazards and contours are arranged - because playing the hole in your mind from various spots is just as instructive as playing it with clubs.

When you get to the green complex, pay attention to the contours of putting surface and how the approaches are arranged for the aerial and ground game; now, you pretty much understand 90% of the author's intentions. The again I spent years riding in George Bahto’s sidecar . . . . .

One of the reasons I love to play an unfamiliar track with guys like Joel Stewart, Neal Meagher or Adam Clayman is nobody gives a shit what they shoot, but are firmly focused on dissecting the puzzle. What (competent) raters do is essentially reverse-engineer each hole in context with the flow of the golf course. I can no longer just ‘play", so unless we are walking down the fairway talking about football or pussy (to distract me), it is impossible to turn off the little camera and computer in my head.  

I'm not sure that paintings are meant to be picked apart in the same way - but that might have more to do with the fact I like to contemplate most fine art as a singular expression. Of course, I have not a micron of talent with a paintbrush or pencil.

By contrast, I can safely be described as skilled in Cinematography - but long ago lost the ability to just watch a movie as a visual and dramatic presentation. My wife, who is an excellent editor, has somehow retained the ability to get into a film like a layman. I just sit there and make technical notes, mumbling to myself about lighting mismatches, cuts across the stage line and blown out windows - until I get a freckled elbow in the ribs and told to shut up.

From the standpoint of actually playing intricate golf holes like this par-5, I generally have no problem (on the cusp of dotage) figuring out my personal “line of charm.” Unless I’m faced with an obnoxious, uphill 450 yard Jack Nicklaus par-4, I can usually figure out a path to the next tee reasonably unscathed. It is ridiculously easy holes like #10 at Pacific Grove that beat me and eat me.

Like deceptively simple works of fine art, the more straightforward the hole, the harder it is for me to execute anything resembling a serviceable golf shot. I look for things that do not exist because it seems impossible that elegance can be expressed with such simplicity - in either golf architecture or art.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 11:50:51 AM by Gib Papazian »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 06:32:58 PM »
I understand that it is difficult to turn off the part that wants to dissect everything.  I barely can read a sentence without parsing it. I can take of my "rater hat" however.  I just love to hit a golf ball.  What I do love is going over each hole I've played and see other play options.  I find it easier to from a sitting position after the round is over. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 07:11:42 PM »
Tommy,

I find the best holes to be the ones that delight me when I play them, but also the ones I can recall in detail after the round. As you state, when I can sit down after the round, and clearly see the nuances of the hole, that brings a deeper sense of delight - even joy in the design.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 08:22:15 PM »
Gibby, is it possible you can't fully grok the complexities of a hole like this with all that WIDTH because you've spent your adult life walking the fairways of the O-Club single file?

----- A Fan

p.s.  Love the Stranger In a Strange Land "grok" reference!   Are we the last two alive that grok that book?   ;D

David_Madison

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 10:24:09 PM »
I like to think that interesting multi-dimensional courses such as Ballyhack are sorta' like onions, in that they reveal themselves layer by layer as you play them over and over again. I can understand seeing some of the variations the first time you play and walk the course, but how can you really understand all that such a course has to offer without at least a few repeated plays?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 10:37:22 PM »
The gift of silence is one best given rather than received. Ballyhack looks to be screaming. Rembrandt remains relevant more for his use of darkness than light. If only this site could embrace the darkness of silence.

Tim Bert

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 11:21:26 PM »
Silence is beautiful and your thread made me think of this...

http://youtu.be/Uq-FOOQ1TpE

I love the message of "stop learning and start thinking"[url]]http://

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 04:25:05 PM »
Jaka Barny,

I think this site has done an excellent job embracing your darkness - and my guess is the lovely Mrs. Kavanaugh gives you the gift of silence quite often. I’ll admit this much, I usually have to read your pithy posts (at least) twice to untangle your jangles. There is a fine line between schizophrenic babble and a ponderous koan; which side your posts fall on might have more to do with past acid trips than completion of philosophy classes. Incidentally, Gordon Willis remains relevant for the same reason as Rembrandt.

Bill,

It has obviously been many years since you marched single file on the Lake Course. I’ll assert the golf course would be completely unrecognizable to you today. No, it is not NGLA, but there is twice as much breathing room as the dripping mess of muddy glop I endured in my youth. Truth be told, I play twice as many rounds on the Ocean Course these days because I already know a tape-loop of driver-rescue club is beyond the constricted swipe I call a golf swing; I’m officially eligible for Senior Am tournaments, so no longer harbor the hallucination a pretty 30-something will find me attractive, nor that a sub-80 round is within reach beyond 6500 yards on dry fairways.

As to the “grok” reference, we might not be the last two people alive, but certainly the last couple generations to know the name Michael Valentine Smith. Conformity crazed educrats finally took over and successfully erased any literature that encourages free thinking or questioning of authority. The only reason my daughter knows that Snowball and Napoleon are pigs is her father insisted she get a dose of Orwell to counterbalance all the politically correct, sanitized horseshit they pour into her skull pretending to be history.    

Tommy W.,

I have sat and stared silently at the work of Kubrick or Vittorio Storaro for hours - and still have not managed to wrap my brain around that depth of communication. It can be contemplated but never fully understood - primarily because there are too many levels of complexity to arrange in any kind of explainable way using words. What you are responding to is a wall of emotive expression coming at you - be it off a canvass or movie screen - that is experientially visceral in nature.        

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:47:29 PM by Gib Papazian »

Lester George

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 06:47:08 PM »
Cool discussion Tommy.

Gib,

The 10th at Ballyhack was the one hole that I KNEW I was going to build the first (and every) time I evaluated the property after discovering it!  It remains to this day one of the purest uses of natural terrain I have ever converted to a golf hole.  In the 15 plus concepts I did for the creation of Ballyhack, the 10th hole (in some variation) made the cut EVERY time.  It is that fine. 

To be sure, and, with a monsoon of respect for architects I think highly of, I have never copied anything from anyone's course and never will.  If I ever have tendencies to use tenets of design excellence in the possibilities I have for new courses/holes, I would assuredly use time-tested principles of holes that I think are outstanding.  In most cases you can rest assured I would not replicate a hole of most architects who are alive.

I also don't know any other practicing architect (with any talent) who would.

Lester   

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 01:55:57 PM »
Lester, I was certainly not implying you nicked the hole from Fazio - in retrospect my comment could have been misconstrued as a j'accuse! However, there is no denying the similarities, although yours certainly has far superior sex appeal and texture. BTW, I looked at your C.V. and it appears Lester George has locked down most of the work in your neck of the Virginia woods.

Since we are in the mood to contemplate art, I'm a bit curious about those rough lines. Is that strange looking tongue running into the fairway at the dogleg your idea? Or did the Super get a little too sexy for his cat? . . . . . That hole looks like it could be improved with some thoughtful mowing - starting with the ribbon of rough in front of the bunkers along the line of play.

The longish grass protruding from the lip of the greensite bunker (into the run-up area) also looks awkward and arbitrary. It reminds me of the day Uncle George and I went to visit Stonebridge in Hauppauge. He would have pulled out his hair - if he'd had any left - at the nutty rough lines that directly contradicted the intent of his design.

Perhaps I am quibbling over minor brush strokes here, but if an architect is going to go through the effort to beat strategic geometry into a hole, it seems insane to let the kid who cuts the grass put an ugly frame around a meticulously created painting.  

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 02:01:04 PM by Gib Papazian »

Lester George

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 02:50:22 PM »
Gib,

The rough lines are not what they appear to be in Tommy's photos.  His photos are taken from a very oblique angle from the right side of the hole.  Please view the hole on Google Earth and you will see that they are very straight-forward and don't pinch as they appear in those photos.  Having said that, they are my lines as painted by me.  My superintendent there would not change those lines arbitrarily. 

If you send me your email I will send you a most incredible (straight-on) shot of the hole and you can post it and then we can discuss further. Awaiting your email.

Lester

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 03:00:08 PM »
I have sat and stared silently at the work of Kubrick or Vittorio Storaro for hours - and still have not managed to wrap my brain around that depth of communication. It can be contemplated but never fully understood - primarily because there are too many levels of complexity to arrange in any kind of explainable way using words. What you are responding to is a wall of emotive expression coming at you - be it off a canvass or movie screen - that is experientially visceral in nature.        

This is how I feel when I gaze upon the works of Rabo Karabekian~

The lens is my silencer. When I wreak havoc upon any elysian field, every action is sonorous. Only when I ride or walk around, at times on tip-toes, shooting images alone, do I truly take in what the golf course whispers.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »

This is how I feel when I gaze upon the works of Rabo Karabekian~

The lens is my silencer. When I wreak havoc upon any elysian field, every action is sonorous. Only when I ride or walk around, at times on tip-toes, shooting images alone, do I truly take in what the golf course whispers.

Proof of the beauty of silence.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back