News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Connolly

Standard deviation of green sizes on a given course
« on: June 03, 2019, 09:20:17 AM »
What it would it mean to see a course with widely variant green sizes? Understanding that you build what you need for that green site based on topography and oft touted principles of strategic play (e.g. smaller greens for par 5s), I wonder if designers try to create a surface area trend course-wide? I think it would be interesting as heck to measure the standard deviation of greens sizes of courses that are beloved and compare them to those that are generally considered mundane. The three potential results would be:

1 - there is no significant difference in green size standard deviation between good and mediocre courses
2 - there is more variance around the central tendency in better courses
3 - there is more variance around the central tendency in lesser courses
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Standard deviation of green sizes on a given course
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 03:58:01 PM »
I think this was a good question that went unanswered.

I don’t have stats but I suspect someone like Jeff Brauer might.

I do like courses where greens appear to be of the same family. Whilst variety in size is important, my first preference is that they do work as a group.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 09:08:57 PM »
One of the things i like most about Pacific Dunes is the variety of green sizes.  The sixth and eleventh and sixteenth seem much tougher targets because some of the others are twice as big.

I agree with Ally that all should feel like part of a family, but i think there is more room for variation within the family thsn most architects typically provide.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 09:55:19 PM by Tom_Doak »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 09:35:32 PM »
I grew up on a course designed in the forties(?) where the smallest greens were par fives. The pro told me that par fives have small greens to make it more difficult to hit the green in two and that the third shot is usually with a short iron where accuracy is demanded.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Paul Jones

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 11:59:00 PM »
I find really famous courses could be even better if they had more variety on green sizes. Pebble Beach and TCC Brookline come to mind.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Jay Mickle

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 07:08:44 AM »
If  “variety is the spice of life” Old Town Club will put a smile on your face with the postage stamp size 7th green followed by the huge 8th/17th double green.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Jeff Schley

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 12:35:22 PM »
Green sizes are a wonderful way to vary a course from day to day.  Particularly length of greens which give more pinable locations that cause a different club for ab approach.  As I pointed out I just played the European Club which has the 127 yard 12 the green which certainly even accounting for roll out easily has 3 or more clubs difference depending on the pin location.  Now that is extreme but having more length in the green forces a different club and also brings in lag putting as a more valued skilled.

Not all courses have this luxury but those that do I enjoy.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 12:48:08 PM »
Green sizes are a wonderful way to vary a course from day to day.  Particularly length of greens which give more pinable locations that cause a different club for ab approach.  As I pointed out I just played the European Club which has the 127 yard 12 the green which certainly even accounting for roll out easily has 3 or more clubs difference depending on the pin location.  Now that is extreme but having more length in the green forces a different club and also brings in lag putting as a more valued skilled.

I think having a lot of big greens is boring.  Sure, there's more variety of clubbing, but there is a lot less variety of recovery shots around the green, and a lot more 50+ foot putts.

I do not mind that so much at The Old Course, because the double greens are mostly wide and shallow, and having a long putt is usually the result of aiming further away from the trouble on the left.  In other words, it's strategic.  But big greens are usually not strategic unless they are closely guarded in multiple spots.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 01:02:03 PM »
One of the things i like most about Pacific Dunes is the variety of green sizes.  The sixth and eleventh and sixteenth seem much tougher targets because some of the others are twice as big.

I agree with Ally that all should feel like part of a family, but i think there is more room for variation within the family thsn most architects typically provide.
Riverfront exemplifies this idea of theme & variation.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Jeff Schley

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 04:34:11 PM »

I think having a lot of big greens is boring.  Sure, there's more variety of clubbing, but there is a lot less variety of recovery shots around the green, and a lot more 50+ foot putts.

I do not mind that so much at The Old Course, because the double greens are mostly wide and shallow, and having a long putt is usually the result of aiming further away from the trouble on the left.  In other words, it's strategic.  But big greens are usually not strategic unless they are closely guarded in multiple spots.
I didn't say a lot of big greens, just that they added to the variability of course setup with various club selection from one day to the next and depending on prevailing wind.  Lag putting at TOC is at a premium certainly, even from off the green since they don't really have rough around the greens.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back