News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Rooney

Winding Hollow???
« on: December 22, 2014, 12:07:41 PM »
Appears Winding Hollow is receiving another severe decision,probable closing.Though New Albany CC had a member relationship w/WH, the semi-private public portion has not been cost effective.Spring will find this wonderful course as commercial development/possible housing.This is quite sad for the Jewish Community,and Columbus public golf.Winding Hollow was my favorite of the (4) Cols area Arthur Hills courses,however,there is consideration of rendering this a (9) hole course?   

Richard Hetzel

Re: Winding Hollow???
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 08:58:31 AM »
I played Winding Hollow a few years back. It seems like the club has had a rough go at surviving the last few years. IMO, It's a pretty average golf course. I bet they wish that they kept Champions and never moved out there. Now that course has the bones to be something special, but with being a city owned muni, it will never rise above. IS the club member owned? I thought maybe it had changed hands a few times. I think it was called Tartan East for a while.
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Tim Rooney

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 07:42:51 PM »
Les Wexner owns Winding Hollow,purchasing after receivership a few years ago.Was managed by Tartan Fields a few years,then New Albany CC, recently.The original Jewish Club move was due to fairway armed holdups affected by the area degradation.Prefer the back (9) design/bunkering than Longaberger, with its' wonderful land parcel.We truly celebrate the excellent collage of Cols Privates but dramatically underwhelm Public Golf. 

BHoover

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 09:18:50 PM »
It would bd a shame to see Winding Hollow go under, but I can't say that it would be particularly surprising. The course has been in financial dire straits in the recent past several times. It sits on some valuable land in New Albany, so I'm sure that there's quite a bit of money to be made by developing the property. It also would not be the only course in Columbus to go under for the sake of development--Riviera in Dublin and Little Turtle in New Albany are going under for residential development in the near future, if memory serves.

Tim Rooney

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 10:02:03 PM »
You are correct, the New Albany Winding Hollow club was very shaky from its membership onset,weathering continuing storms.Was not aware Little Turtle is considering a similar direction.Current Riviera rumors suggest cessation 2015?

BHoover

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 11:06:25 PM »
I don't remember when Riviera is closing shop. I had thought it was that 2024 was the final season, but I could be wrong. Little Turtle is not closing yet, but I have heard rumors that it's likely to close down and the property sold by the owner for development. It wouldn't surprise me if that happens at some point in the not-too-distant future. And I suspect the same fate will await Winding Hollow. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but I suspect there's a lot more money to be made from developing the land, whether for commercial or residential purposes (the new Bob Evans corporate HQ is literally across the street from Winding Hollow), than from continued golf course operations.

Really, the only decent public options left in Columbus are GC of Dublin and Granville, IMO. There are a few others, but none that really make you want to play. Of course, there are some good options outside Columbus such as Longaberger (regardless of what some here may think, it's a fun course to play and features some really good land unlike much of central Ohio).  For as much really good golf as there is in central Ohio, there's a serious lack of good public options.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 11:18:21 PM »
I would play the links at grove port, champions, cooks creek, and the Phoenix all over the gc at dublin.  That housing is beyond oppressive.

Chris

BHoover

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 11:26:24 PM »
I would play the links at grove port, champions, cooks creek, and the Phoenix all over the gc at dublin.  That housing is beyond oppressive.

Chris

I disagree. I'll give you Groveport. I've played all of them many times. Champions doesn't impress me and you consider yourself lucky to leave with your wallet (that's why Winding Hollow moved out to New Albany). Cook's Creek is a lot of fun when it isn't flooded by the Scioto River overflowing its banks. Phoenix, sorry, I've played it too many times to want to go back. I agree that GC of Dublin has too many houses, but I think it has good holes, usually has firm turf and is a good walk. Granted, it's been a while since I played any of them much after joining a club, but I still would probably pick GC of Dublin before any other public option in the Columbus area. If I'm willing to drive out to Granville, then that's a no brainer.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 08:35:52 AM »

Chris

I disagree. I'll give you Groveport. I've played all of them many times. Champions doesn't impress me and you consider yourself lucky to leave with your wallet (that's why Winding Hollow moved out to New Albany). Cook's Creek is a lot of fun when it isn't flooded by the Scioto River overflowing its banks. Phoenix, sorry, I've played it too many times to want to go back. I agree that GC of Dublin has too many houses, but I think it has good holes, usually has firm turf and is a good walk. Granted, it's been a while since I played any of them much after joining a club, but I still would probably pick GC of Dublin before any other public option in the Columbus area. If I'm willing to drive out to Granville, then that's a no brainer.

I know I disagree that's why I posted what I did.

I too have played the courses I listed a fair amount.  Never had a problem at Champions - then again I have lived in The Bronx.  Yes there are some good holes at Dublin, but not enough for me to overlook housing that lines the both sides of damn near every hole.  I know if I was looking for a course to play for the first time, I would hope someone would mention said housing!

If you read my original response, I never questioned Granville even the horrible replacement holes can't take away from the original Ross.  I would play Granville over all of the others.  As for The Phoenix, I really like what was done there.  Heck I'll take looking at a concrete plant over McMansions any day!! ;D

Never had a problem with flooding at Cook's Creek, but it was obvious that flooding was a problem there during rainy periods.  Simply solution - call ahead.

Chris

BHoover

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 08:55:48 AM »
Chris, your post came across as rather snarky (maybe it's just that I've been awake since 3:00 this morning to fly home for Xmas, so if that's the case then I apologize). So it's obvious we prefer Granville. Otherwise, we fundamentally disagree on public options in Columbus (which was why I joined a club...I didn't find a public course I liked enough to play regularly).

As for Champions, it's not just the neighborhood. I just don't think it's a particularly good course. There are a few good holes, but too many strange ones to overlook. It's the best of the municipal courses, but I'm not sure that's saying much. I did forget to mention Blacklick Woods as being a decent public option. I think it used to be an old country club (as was Champions). I played there often when I first moved to Columbus.

I understand that it's easy to call Cook's Creek and check if it's flooded. That's not the point. It's a fun course with a few good par 5s and a good back nine, but it plays soft too often. Otherwise, when its dry, it's quite good.

Happy holidays. Like I said, if I'm coming across as angry, it's only because I'm tired and dealing with Xmas Eve travel.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 09:00:49 AM by Brian Hoover »

Brent Hutto

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 08:56:08 AM »
I love, love, love me some Granville but Champions is a very fine courseas well IMHO.  The Phoenix is what it is but not something I'd go out of my way to play.

Most of the other places near there I have played are well away from Columbus like Indian Springs and Chapel Hill. Then again Granville is quite a drive itself.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 09:15:02 AM »
Chris, your post came across as rather snarky (maybe it's just that I've been awake since 3:00 this morning to fly home for Xmas, so if that's the case then I apologize). So it's obvious we prefer Granville. Otherwise, we fundamentally disagree on public options in Columbus (which was why I joined a club...I didn't find a public course I liked enough to play regularly).

As for Champions, it's not just the neighborhood. I just don't think it's a particularly good course. There are a few good holes, but too many strange ones to overlook. It's the best of the municipal courses, but I'm not sure that's saying much. I did forget to mention Blacklick Woods as being a decent public option. I think it used to be an old country club (as was Champions). I played there often when I first moved to Columbus.

I understand that it's easy to call Cook's Creek and check if it's flooded. That's not the point. It's a fun course with a few good par 5s and a good back nine, but it plays soft too often. Otherwise, when its dry, it's quite good.

Happy holidays. Like I said, if I'm coming across as angry, it's only because I'm tired and dealing with Xmas Eve travel.

Brian,

Maybe its just me when someone responds 'I disagree' can easily be taken the same way - but people nowadays need to be outraged - I didn't take it as snarky or outrage, but thought I would state my point clearly as well.  Yes, we don't agree on the public golf courses discussed.

I do like courses that play firm, but at the same time understand I can give that up a time or two to play a different course.  Variety is the spice of life.

I know I abhor housing development courses especially ones where the only holes that don't have houses that line the fairways are the holes that are adjacent to easy other, abut the driving ranges, or have not sold lots yet.  And that 100% is the GC of Dublin.

Happy Holidays as well.

Chris

BHoover

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 09:21:30 AM »

Brian,

Maybe its just me when someone responds 'I disagree' can easily be taken the same way - but people nowadays need to be outraged - I didn't take it as snarky or outrage, but thought I would state my point clearly as well.  Yes, we don't agree on the public golf courses discussed.

I do like courses that play firm, but at the same time understand I can give that up a time or two to play a different course.  Variety is the spice of life.

I know I abhor housing development courses especially ones where the only holes that don't have houses that line the fairways are the holes that are adjacent to easy other, abut the driving ranges, or have not sold lots yet.  And that 100% is the GC of Dublin.

Happy Holidays as well.

Chris

Fair enough. Nothing wrong with differences of opinion.

Back to the original topic, has there been any word as to when Winding Hollow may close?

Tim Rooney

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 11:44:09 AM »
Spoke with decision source this morning--------Winding Hollow will not open Spring/2015.
Sad!

Brian Finn

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 05:25:02 PM »
Having lived in Columbus for the past five years and played all of the mentioned courses (except Phoenix) many times, I'd rank the broader area publics in the following order:

1 - Granville - no argument from me that it is the best public option within an hour of the city
2 - Longaberger - nitpick all you want, I think it's a blast
3 - Champions - the front 9 is exceptional and the back 9 (RTJ) is pretty darn good as well. Nice people and I've never had any safety concerns.
4 - Indian Springs - one of my favorite layouts in town...I might even prefer it to Kidwell's best regarded course (Hickory Hills, private)
5 - Cooks Creek - I've played it about once per year for each of the past five years, and only once experienced bad conditions.  Good layout.

I've never played Phoenix, though reputable sources tell me it is worth a look.  I like GC Dublin enough to go once a year or so, just for some variety, but it is vastly overpriced for public golf in this area.  Winding Hollow is a decent course, but I think most folks in/around New Albany (that don't play at an area private club) would just assume play New Albany Links for half the price. 
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Tim Rooney

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 06:32:56 PM »
Guess everyone has different answers.Merry Christmas!
No Comparison!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2014, 08:40:39 PM »
Phoenix is worth a look. Pick a day when you haven't had rain for about ten days, so it will play firm.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 11:04:11 AM »
I agree on public golf in and around Columbus. It's not all that much better here in Cincinnati either. I would say now that Longaberger is about 1/4 to 1/3 the price from it's heyday, it's definitely worth playing and it is very fun. Granville is great too, sans the abomination holes they tossed in. Cooks Creek is OK, and for the $25 with cart, Phoenix Links can be pretty fun, conditions aside. The golf Club of Dublin, although playable and fun, it chock full of houses in any direction you gaze. It's too bad Winding Hollow is kaput, but the land has to be worth so much more than it is as a course.
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Bill Crane

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2014, 11:17:42 AM »
My son at Denison has had the pleasure of playing several events at .........................

the Raccoon International !!

Not clear why it is an International, but you can see the course on the south side of Rte 37 in Granville.   Has not hit anyones "Best of Columbus" list private or public - yet.  

Wm Flynnfan

Tim Rooney

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2014, 08:05:27 PM »
Richard,
even though you're from the wrong school you make some salient points.When I was in school,the Cincy park system had better courses  (Winton Woods,etc.) than Columbus.
The finest Donald Ross Course was offered to the city in the early 50's for $200K but was rejected;however,the city was so shrewd and (2) years later had Robert Trent Jones build Raymond Memorial for $600K.
My Father and Jack Kidwell independently stated a better design and land parcel than Scioto.
The site is located at Indianola/Morse Rd.-----Deaf and Dumb Bild School!   

BHoover

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 09:52:25 PM »
My son at Denison has had the pleasure of playing several events at .........................

the Raccoon International !!

Not clear why it is an International, but you can see the course on the south side of Rte 37 in Granville.   Has not hit anyones "Best of Columbus" list private or public - yet.  

Wm Flynnfan

I too have played The 'Coon on several occasions. I also concur that there is nothing "international" about The 'Coon, except perhaps that it's internationally known as being terrible.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2014, 07:48:20 AM »
Brian, Rich, Chris et al;

I like the lists of Columbus publics, but seems to me one is missing. I liked Player's Club more than most you listed. Also liked Cooks and
Indian Springs [played on advice by one of you].

I played 'Tartan East' when it was that, but wasn't that impressed. Still, sorry to see it go under. Seems golf courses that have gone under
during hard times are far more likely to be better publics that are a bit more pricey than lousey munis that the lack of upkeep cannot hurt
because the conditions are always bad, but they are cheap! Many folk still don't care about that nature of the course as much as the
competition and personal rivalry that are their reasons for playing. Cheap is good for them.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2014, 09:47:37 AM »
Richard,
even though you're from the wrong school you make some salient points.When I was in school,the Cincy park system had better courses  (Winton Woods,etc.) than Columbus.
The finest Donald Ross Course was offered to the city in the early 50's for $200K but was rejected;however,the city was so shrewd and (2) years later had Robert Trent Jones build Raymond Memorial for $600K.
My Father and Jack Kidwell independently stated a better design and land parcel than Scioto.
The site is located at Indianola/Morse Rd.-----Deaf and Dumb Bild School!  

I graduated from Dublin Coffman and aside from hanging out as much as possible at all of the in the hole in the wall bars (RIP) on High Street during high school I avoided OSU at all costs for some odd reason. My father (RIP) was quite upset to hear that I was attending the University of Cincinnati after my Army time was up. The Hamilton COunty Park District courses here are decent enough and priced well. They would have ruined that Ross course anyway me thinks. I never knew that the land where the Ohio School for Blind is was ever considered for a golf course. We should have a beer (or three) at the nearby Bob's Bar (The Cultural Hub of the Midwest) and discuss it.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:26:36 AM by Richard Hetzel »
Last 7:

Tim Rooney

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2014, 11:00:37 AM »
We'll have to have that beer or many!

Tim Rooney

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2014, 03:45:06 PM »
Appears Granville or Longaberger are the best alternatives?Think Granville(pre-reno) the better design,though Longaberger, an incredible piece  of land w/average architecture.Longaberger hole#3,a wonderfully exciting drive, rivaling GV hole#18 with an observable fairway;otherwise,holes #11 & 17 appear the most natural.LG hole#18 visually exciting, however,somewhat  penal with its' strangely pitched fairway. Longaberger is very good but after playing Pete Dye's Promontory mountainous design, feel Pete would have dramatically elevated this final project.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back