News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Tee safety screening
« on: February 10, 2015, 03:09:19 AM »
Sometimes courses erect 10-20 ft high screening at one or more sides of a tee. I've seen various versions although small bore wire mesh with a wood or metal frame seems to be the norm.

Such structures always seem pretty ugly whilst a planted hedge or raised earth berm can look out of place and we know what folk herein generally think of trees..........

Anyone have any examples where tee safety screening has been done both effectively and attractively?

atb
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:50:03 AM by Thomas Dai »

Carl Rogers

Re: Tee safety screening
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 07:24:57 AM »
7th at Shinnecock Hills has a hedge - screen, doesn't it?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Mark McKeever

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 03:36:57 PM »
The 17th tee at St. Georges has a small batting cage looking screen that is old school and sort of cool.  I don't have a picture though...   :(

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Dan Kelly

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 03:38:47 PM »
Fence + Ivy can look OK.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 04:01:06 PM »
My home course has the 8th hole crossing the 7th. The 8th tee is in danger from tee shots on the 7th. The course has erected perhaps 15 foot chain link fence to protect the tee. Then they planted arborvitae that has grown up intermingled with the fence. You never notice the fence, just a string of 20 ft tall arborvitae.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 05:48:47 PM »
Thomas, we have two examples of screens/hedges to protect tees at Orinda CC, but I am hopeful that in a year I will not be able to say that.  They are not the course's best attribute.

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Ryan Coles

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 06:26:00 PM »
No one has tried it but the best solution would be to put a flag between the tee boxes and then everyone would come up 20 yards short of it.

Thomas, 16th at B&C is the only one I know of. It's not a good look as you know.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 07:47:42 PM »
Thomas, we have two examples of screens/hedges to protect tees at Orinda CC, but I am hopeful that in a year I will not be able to say that.  They are not the course's best attribute.

What are you doing to protect players, probably the reason those screens were originally built?

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 07:56:21 PM »
The 17th tee at St. Georges has a small batting cage looking screen that is old school and sort of cool.  I don't have a picture though...   :(

Mark

Here you go (assuming, of course, that you're talking NY, not Canada). The fencing is to the left of the green, next to the 18th tee.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:01:17 PM by Jon Cavalier »
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »

What are you doing to protect players, probably the reason those screens were originally built?

Bill, take a look at this thread.  Our approach with one of the areas is a carbon copy of what they did at the Woodmere Club.  The picture of Brad Klein could have been taken right by our 12th and 2nd tees.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59568.0.html

On the other area, we will just get rid of the screen and a tree in the middle.  It is a situation where a par 3 goes one direction and a par 5 the other.   There is no safety reason for the screen or tree.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

CMP

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 11:26:13 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, IHC in Winnetka has a screen, and I didn't think it was particularly obtrusive.  Can't remember which hole at the moment.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back